Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 06:16 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,515,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thgenSF View Post
the issue is that she is looking for work. if you have nothing relevant to add, you need not post.
My posts are as relevant as the others. I'm not obligated to affirm unfounded allegations of age discrimination without any real evidence. Not getting hired is not proof of anything. Any thinking person knows that.

Everyone at any age has a hard time finding a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2018, 06:24 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,463,858 times
It's not just people over 50 having a hard time getting jobs. People in their 20s and 30s are having a difficult time as well.

Old 05-19-2018, 08:20 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,837,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedAJobBad61 View Post
I have been looking for a job for 6 months, during this time I was hired as a temp as a work from home customer service phone agent and the only other job which is part time at a fast food restaurant, just to have a job while I continue to look for an administrative assistant or office manager position! Last job I had in the fast food industry was over 35 years ago at the age of 16 which I hated then and hate now. Was promised part time 32 hours; only got the 32 hours the first 2 weeks for training then it dropped to 21 hours; but the last 3 weeks 9-12 hours. How is a person to make a living on those hours, I'm not a high school - college student! New hires had started in the meantime. I suspect they do this because of people not sticking around or a way to get you to quit so they don't have to use their portion of funds contributed for unemployment.

I was laid off after 9 1/2 years from my previous job; position was fazed out due to technology; I saw the writing on the wall a year out and looked for a lateral move to another department, but those positions were few and new requirements for a degree! Oops which I don't have. Thankfully I put back 4 months of income. I should have claimed unemployment, now it's too late and I have worked 35 years for 3 employers straight. All applications now are on-line, most you receive no replies, some you are invited to take an assessment test which some of the test are based on scenarios that you have never had; most likely never will and of course the same questions asked 5 different ways throughout the test and some test are timed. Who said these test are better than an employer using gut feelings about a person or if that person does poorly on the test that they can't perform the job, be a good employee or even qualify for the position? As an applicant it would be nice to know how you scored on these test. 120 working days and approximately 500 applications, 3 phone interviews and 6 in person interviews, 1 temp position and 1 useless part time job my odds are not very good it seems. The work at home employer at least list me as an internal employee for other program work that sounds promising!

I'm not stupid I knew I should have finished my degree just kept putting it off being a working mom...just didn't have the time and I had work experience on my side and what it cost to go back to school just didn't seem it was worth the investment. It seems I should have used my gut feeling! Well I have lowered my expectations and I'll take whatever I can find as long as it's more than 12 hours a week and I most likely will go back to school now that I'm an empty nester.

Have you considered a Civil Service job? There are town, city, county, and state positions you might be interested in. And with benefits and job security, too.

Good luck.

Old 05-19-2018, 08:25 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,123,953 times
You can't be having trouble finding a job.

Everybody is hiring at all ages. All the offshore jobs were brought back to America from other countries. At least, that's what I saw on Fox.

Old 05-19-2018, 09:16 PM

4,974 posts, read 2,715,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
You can't be having trouble finding a job.

Everybody is hiring at all ages. All the offshore jobs were brought back to America from other countries. At least, that's what I saw on Fox.
That's right! And if you can't find a job under this new environment then it is all your fault!

Old 05-20-2018, 03:05 AM

745 posts, read 480,683 times
Quote:
I have been looking for a job for 6 months, during this time I was hired as a temp as a work from home customer service phone agent and the only other job which is part time at a fast food restaurant, just to have a job while I continue to look for an administrative assistant or office manager position! Last job I had in the fast food industry was over 35 years ago at the age of 16 which I hated then and hate now. Was promised part time 32 hours; only got the 32 hours the first 2 weeks for training then it dropped to 21 hours; but the last 3 weeks 9-12 hours. How is a person to make a living on those hours, I'm not a high school - college student! New hires had started in the meantime. I suspect they do this because of people not sticking around or a way to get you to quit so they don't have to use their portion of funds contributed for unemployment.

I was laid off after 9 1/2 years from my previous job; position was fazed out due to technology; I saw the writing on the wall a year out and looked for a lateral move to another department, but those positions were few and new requirements for a degree! Oops which I don't have. Thankfully I put back 4 months of income. I should have claimed unemployment, now it's too late and I have worked 35 years for 3 employers straight. All applications now are on-line, most you receive no replies, some you are invited to take an assessment test which some of the test are based on scenarios that you have never had; most likely never will and of course the same questions asked 5 different ways throughout the test and some test are timed. Who said these test are better than an employer using gut feelings about a person or if that person does poorly on the test that they can't perform the job, be a good employee or even qualify for the position? As an applicant it would be nice to know how you scored on these test. 120 working days and approximately 500 applications, 3 phone interviews and 6 in person interviews, 1 temp position and 1 useless part time job my odds are not very good it seems. The work at home employer at least list me as an internal employee for other program work that sounds promising!

I'm not stupid I knew I should have finished my degree just kept putting it off being a working mom...just didn't have the time and I had work experience on my side and what it cost to go back to school just didn't seem it was worth the investment. It seems I should have used my gut feeling! Well I have lowered my expectations and I'll take whatever I can find as long as it's more than 12 hours a week and I most likely will go back to school now that I'm an empty nester.
You may be giving away your age on your resume. If you are listing jobs from 25-30 years ago, or listing dates for your HS graduation, that will kill it right there for many reviewing your resume. Don't go back more than about 15 years for jobs. It isn't guaranteed to get you a job, but might help get over the initial hurdle of getting an interview. Let the employer at least see you and know what you have done before they reject you.

Good luck

Old 05-20-2018, 05:41 AM

4,974 posts, read 2,715,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostSeniorinNJ View Post
You may be giving away your age on your resume. If you are listing jobs from 25-30 years ago, or listing dates for your HS graduation, that will kill it right there for many reviewing your resume. Don't go back more than about 15 years for jobs. It isn't guaranteed to get you a job, but might help get over the initial hurdle of getting an interview. Let the employer at least see you and know what you have done before they reject you.

Good luck
Unfortunately, if you are college educated and list your degree then the potential employer could guess your age. And if you don't put down the year that you graduated then that looks suspicious like you are trying to hide your age.

Old 05-20-2018, 06:00 AM

7,190 posts, read 9,327,431 times
Where I work, the problem in hiring all has to do with skills. I work in a technical field that lacks young people with the correct skills.

In fact, they bribed me to come out of retirement to help them with a project. I'm 68.

If you want to avoid age discrimination, develop a highly sought after skill set. Results are all that matter. You can be old, bald, fat, black, or disabled and it doesn't matter if you can deliver exceptional results.

Old 05-20-2018, 06:01 AM

5,717 posts, read 4,296,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
Unfortunately, if you are college educated and list your degree then the potential employer could guess your age. And if you don't put down the year that you graduated then that looks suspicious like you are trying to hide your age.

Nevertheless, I dont list the year unless the application form won't let me proceed. If it won't let me proceed I then decide if I really want to work for an employer who is forcing me to reveal my minimum age.

Old 05-20-2018, 06:03 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,497,010 times
Quote:
I have been looking for a job for 6 months...I should have claimed unemployment, now it's too late .
It's probably not too late to claim unemployment. You should claim it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment