Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 02:55 PM

2,893 posts, read 2,142,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
I really hope no pharmacists or anyone handling people's medications are not allowed to be distracted with cellphones! Sheesh!
this is hilarious because pharmacy is nothing but distractions. you know they have regular phones in the pharmacy, right? also fax machines, drive thru windows, e-scripts coming in, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2018, 03:43 PM

118 posts, read 131,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Sounds like a boring job!
Nah.. Sitting at home and not doing anything would be boring.

Old 05-18-2018, 03:49 PM

2 posts, read 1,807 times
I'm with Berteau. I work for Navy Hospital. They just posted a position here for a Pharmacy Tech.

Old 05-18-2018, 03:59 PM

118 posts, read 131,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
Congratulations on your new job! I don't work in a pharmacy, but as someone who has used a pharmacy, I'd like to say that I really appreciate it when the staff is friendly and respectful.

I'm sure you will face some rude and stressed out patients in your job. When people are feeling stressed about their health or the health of a family member, it can lead to them lashing out at pharmacy staff when they find out the cost of their medication is much higher than they thought it would be, or the insurance company refuses to pay for it, or the doctor's office hasn't faxed it in yet, or the insurance will only cover a small number of pills, etc.

You will need to learn how to maintain composure at all times, and not take any bad behavior personally. If someone is upset, convey that you are sympathetic to what they are going through. Sometimes all a person needs is to feel that someone has listened and understands why they are upset.

One specific piece of advice I would give you is to learn about the various discount programs available to help people with the costs of medications (such as goodrx.com). Many people are not educated about how their insurance works, and they have no idea that there may be ways to get their medications cheaper through programs like goodrx. If you can be informed about this, you will be in a position to help the person when they are standing there upset because they can't afford their medication. I've observed this exact thing happen more than once at a pharmacy.

good luck!!
Thank you so much for your advice, I appreciate it. The HR and pharmacy manager told me about what type of patients/customers I will encounter.

Old 05-18-2018, 04:21 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,943,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iruvrice11 View Post
Nah.. Sitting at home and not doing anything would be boring.
Hey. Watching tv and playing video games is something!

Old 05-18-2018, 05:18 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
have humility understand the people you are seeing are ill...or in pain...or they may be old .....and weak.

watch your tone of voice and sound caring...never be dismissive..... or impatient..

look and act p[rofessional....see how many will think you are the pharmacist...

my son was a pharmacist tech for 5 years.....while in college.

now he's a pharmacist in a hospital..

Old 05-19-2018, 07:53 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times
What is your position at Kroger, what will you be doing exactly ? Not enough info so far to offer advice.

Old 05-19-2018, 11:34 AM

16,069 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iruvrice11 View Post
Thank you so much for your advice, I appreciate it. The HR and pharmacy manager told me about what type of patients/customers I will encounter.
Being told about it will in no way actually compare to the reality of dealing with it. Good Luck

Old 05-19-2018, 12:35 PM

220 posts, read 145,487 times
No experience working in a pharmacy. But I read very recently that some shops contracts prevent the pharmacist, and by extension I would guess his assistants, from suggesting less expensive drugs unless specifically asked by the patient.

Enjoy your work, be flexible mentally. And let us know if what I read was correct.

Old 05-19-2018, 02:21 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,185,764 times
Congrats on the job.

You are going to do great.

A pharmacy is a very small and controlled environment full of specific processes followed in an exact order of operations. You will learn the system and do great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment