Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 12:06 PM

3,313 posts, read 2,401,808 times

Advertisements

Shocking? A little over dramatic, no? It’s no big deal. It is actually nothing. Why is the OP make such a mountain out of a molehill? Sounds like the OP just does not like the temp. Your only problem is with your own employer, who seems to think this is not a problem. They probably want this particular team. Hell, maybe the temp is a friend or family member of one of the bosses. That never happens, huh?

This is one situation where I would not give a hoot about unless I had it out for the temp. Either that is the case or you are a troll who loves to have people chime in on a fictitious story for giggles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2018, 02:13 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,432,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
This temp who started with the company in April is now on vacation because it was already planned? I heard of pushing a start date back due to a vacation but a temp working for a month and then going on vacation? So the person who is doing his training has to wait for him to return from vacation so she can continue his training?

Does this sound weird to anyone else?

This is weird. A temp is normally brought in to pick up the slack. If she isn't there who is picking up the slack? Makes no business sense. And it is not fair to co-workers who have to work months straight just to get 2 weeks away and often not allowed to take the full weeks all at once.

Old 05-20-2018, 02:25 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,786,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
This is weird. A temp is normally brought in to pick up the slack. If she isn't there who is picking up the slack? Makes no business sense. And it is not fair to co-workers who have to work months straight just to get 2 weeks away and often not allowed to take the full weeks all at once.

That's why I strongly believe he just mentioned this vacation last week and not before he started working as a temp. It doesn't even make sense for someone from a temp agency to say before starting his assignment "oh by the way I have this vacation coming up in 5 weeks"

Old 05-20-2018, 03:37 PM

4,357 posts, read 4,753,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Not always. We hire long term temps for specific projects. Definitely not an overflow situation.

Old 05-20-2018, 03:39 PM

10,218 posts, read 7,658,712 times
Quote:
it's not jealousy I just never seen a temp do something like this since I been working here. There has been so many temps over the years who was told not to come back due to lateness or missed days so this situation right here is shocking. I don't believe this was discussed before he started and I think he just mentioned this last week. No temp is in position to mention a upcoming vacation to a company so I would not be surprised if I never saw him again.
In reading my post to you, I should not have asked if you are jealous. That was rude. (It must've flashed thru my brain, and unfortunately my fingers typed that out w/o thinking about it.)

I think you still don't understand what being a temp is. You say "No temp is in position to mention a upcoming vacation." Yes, of course they are. THEY decide where they will work and for how long. That's exactly the point of being a temp/contract worker. THEY decide where and when they will work. When your employer laid out the length of the contract and the terms, the temp told them that he would be unavailable for a certain time. Your employer OBVIOUSLY was okay with that, and hired him.

Your beef is w/your employer, since that's who gave a thumbs up to the vacation and hired the guy, anyway. They must have liked him or his prior experience a lot, or he has special skills, or there was no one else as good to hire. And the vacation must not have interfered with what he was hired to do. That was your employer's decision. The fact that your employer hasn't made that kind of arrangement before is neither here nor there. They did it this time, for a reason.

It may not even be a vacation, for all you know, that he's going on. He may be having some surgery done or any number of things....he's sure not going to tell you or others, because that is private information.

He may not want a permanent job, as you assume, or not want the one with your employer. You don't know.

You don't have the facts. You are making all sorts of assumptions, when you don't KNOW for a fact anything. If you are so upset by this, go speak with your employer and demand that they explain this to you pronto. Let us know what they say. (although I can guess)

Old 05-20-2018, 03:43 PM

11,263 posts, read 9,888,809 times
Quote:
it's not jealousy I just never seen a temp do something like this since I been working here. There has been so many temps over the years who was told not to come back due to lateness or missed days so this situation right here is shocking. I don't believe this was discussed before he started and I think he just mentioned this last week. No temp is in position to mention a upcoming vacation to a company so I would not be surprised if I never saw him again.
What in the world are you talking about? A temp has every right to negotiate whatever they can with the new employer. If they negotiated this during their hiring interview, then so be it. If you've ever taken a cruise, you know that some are booked a year in advance. He might have been working fulltime when it was booked and then been laid off. He could lose thousands of dollars he's invested, and he was fortunate he had a sympathetic hiring supervisor.

Why in the world do you care unless it impacts your workflow? If it does, speak to your supervisor so they can remedy the workflow situation. Otherwise, keep working and MYOB.

Old 05-20-2018, 03:48 PM

Quote:
That's why I strongly believe he just mentioned this vacation last week and not before he started working as a temp. It doesn't even make sense for someone from a temp agency to say before starting his assignment "oh by the way I have this vacation coming up in 5 weeks"
I was hired for a part time permanent position which required extensive training and I told them I had a pre-planned vacation starting in 3 weeks in my interview. They didn't like it, but they still hired me. Sometimes getting the right person is the most important thing. I took the week vacation as unpaid leave, since I hadn't been there long enough to accrue ANY hours of vacation. It doesn't make sense TO YOU, but obviously it did to whomever hired this person.

When I worked as a contract worker, I was hired for a 3 month contract. At the end of the 3 months, they asked me to renew for another 6 months. I negotiated myself a 30% raise, because they were using me in a capacity that was beyond the job description I had been hired for. They agreed, and my temp agency was thrilled. They got an increase of 30% on their percentage and a renewal they didn't have to solicit.

Are you an employee at this firm or a temp? Have you worked as a contract worker before?

Last edited by TheShadow; 05-20-2018 at 03:57 PM..

Old 05-20-2018, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
In reading my post to you, I should not have asked if you are jealous. That was rude. (It must've flashed thru my brain, and unfortunately my fingers typed that out w/o thinking about it.)

I think you still don't understand what being a temp is. You say "No temp is in position to mention a upcoming vacation." Yes, of course they are. THEY decide where they will work and for how long. That's exactly the point of being a temp/contract worker. THEY decide where and when they will work. When your employer laid out the length of the contract and the terms, the temp told them that he would be unavailable for a certain time. Your employer OBVIOUSLY was okay with that, and hired him.

Your beef is w/your employer, since that's who gave a thumbs up to the vacation and hired the guy, anyway. They must have liked him or his prior experience a lot, or he has special skills, or there was no one else as good to hire. And the vacation must not have interfered with what he was hired to do. That was your employer's decision. The fact that your employer hasn't made that kind of arrangement before is neither here nor there. They did it this time, for a reason.

It may not even be a vacation, for all you know, that he's going on. He may be having some surgery done or any number of things....he's sure not going to tell you or others, because that is private information.

He may not want a permanent job, as you assume, or not want the one with your employer. You don't know.

You don't have the facts. You are making all sorts of assumptions, when you don't KNOW for a fact anything. If you are so upset by this, go speak with your employer and demand that they explain this to you pronto. Let us know what they say. (although I can guess)

This is my first time sitting next to a temp since being with the company so I couldn't help but notice if a temp is missing days. It was mentioned by another coworker that he said vacation which means it was never brought up when he first started as a temp. Plus I am not the only permanent employee who noticed he was out because it's not the norm to miss days when you are in your first 90 days working as a temp.

Old 05-20-2018, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I was hired for a part time permanent position which required extensive training and I told them I had a pre-planned vacation starting in 3 weeks in my interview. They didn't like it, but they still hired me. Sometimes getting the right person is the most important thing. I took the week vacation as unpaid leave, since I hadn't been there long enough to accrue ANY hours of vacation. It doesn't make sense TO YOU, but obviously it did to whomever hired this person.

When I worked as a contract worker, I was hired for a 3 month contract. At the end of the 3 months, they asked me to renew for another 6 months. I negotiated myself a 30% raise, because they were using me in a capacity that was beyond the job description I had been hired for. They agreed, and my temp agency was thrilled. They got an increase of 30% on their percentage and a renewal they didn't have to solicit.

Are you an employee at this firm or a temp? Have you worked as a contract worker before?

I am a permanent employee and never worked as a temp in the past.

Old 05-20-2018, 04:05 PM

When your co-worker said that the temp said it was vacation, that in no way means he/she didn't mention it in the their interview.

You are used to working under the conditions set out by your employer for all employees. A temp is a contract employee and can put in their contract whatever they can get the company to agree to, and the company and the temp make a contract that they agree to abide by. Unless you've read this person's contract, you are just speculating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment