Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 04:21 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,803,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
That's why I strongly believe he just mentioned this vacation last week and not before he started working as a temp. It doesn't even make sense for someone from a temp agency to say before starting his assignment "oh by the way I have this vacation coming up in 5 weeks"
Just because he only mentioned it to you and other workers, does not mean it was not arranged with the upper management before starting work.

And yes it does make sense to mention before the start of work, that he/she had a planned vacation they would start in a matter of days before being hired. You can bet, that upper management knew he/she was going to be gone on vacation before he/she ever started work.

Lets be honest. You really do not know what special talent this temp brought to the table when he was hired. The temp, may have been the only one available that has this special talent.

I was hired as a temp, at one time. I was brought in to figure why 2 stores were not producing the sales that the company needed them to make. I went to the first store, starting the day the manager was going to be gone, and I was his replacement as manager. After 3 days I called the owner and told him I had discovered that the store was making the sales, but could not make the deliveries as the banks in town would only make loans if someone had been living in town 5 years or longer. There was so much seasonal work, they did not trust the newcomers to pay the loan payments and would be leaving in a few months when the work decreased. The owner said he would check with his local banks in his town he did business with, and see if they would do the financing. Called me back and said he found the same thing there, and asked for my advice on what to do. I gave it to him, and within 30 minutes delivery people were on their way to empty the store out and move the merchandise to the warehouse in the other city. The manager got back from vacation and found his store closed and out of business, and he was out of a job.

Went to the other store, and found the problem was location. There is an old saying in retail, location, location, and the third one just verifies the first two. The problem was it was across the side street where the road dipped to go under a rail road underpass. Everyone was looking at this dip, instead of paying attention to the stores in the area. The vast majority of people would never even see the store, with their eyes being diverted for going under the rail road. Closed that store also. In a week, I closed two money loser stores and was out of business. Owner did give me one month salary, as a severance.

Had another full time job the next day.

I was a temp trouble shooter, and did what was needed done.

The other employees had no idea of why I was hired, and why I was working there. There were few around that could have solved those two problems by knowing it was time to close down the stores. Others would be looking for solutions to increase business. I was there to figure out why the sales were so slow, and to report is there was a solution to the problem. I did exactly what I was hired for.

You don't know what talent the temp brings to the job, and why he/she was hired. If there is some unique talent you know nothing about, of course they would have hired him/her even if he/she was going on a vacation. It is time you worry about doing your job, not if the company is giving a temp consideration they would not give a permanent hire. It is none of your business, what is going on. It is above your pay grade to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2018, 08:39 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,786,997 times
If you're a temp, you only get paid by the hour so if the person takes time off. They don't get paid. I'm a full-time consultant and majority of the time my employer have no problems with me taking time off. It's on my own dime. The only thing they care is upfront notice so they can plan around my absence. Majority of temps and consultants I know are at work a lot more than full-time employees who are calls out sick or goes on vacation all the time.

Old 05-21-2018, 01:27 AM

1,516 posts, read 1,252,317 times
Who cares? Clearly someone approved it. If your company has a big issue with it, the temp will probably be gone soon. Maybe it's not a vacation but some sort of family emergency or who knows? Let your bosses worry about it.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:23 AM

51,671 posts, read 25,930,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Just because he only mentioned it to you and other workers, does not mean it was not arranged with the upper management before starting work.

And yes it does make sense to mention before the start of work, that he/she had a planned vacation they would start in a matter of days before being hired. You can bet, that upper management knew he/she was going to be gone on vacation before he/she ever started work.

Lets be honest. You really do not know what special talent this temp brought to the table when he was hired. The temp, may have been the only one available that has this special talent.

I was hired as a temp, at one time. I was brought in to figure why 2 stores were not producing the sales that the company needed them to make. I went to the first store, starting the day the manager was going to be gone, and I was his replacement as manager. After 3 days I called the owner and told him I had discovered that the store was making the sales, but could not make the deliveries as the banks in town would only make loans if someone had been living in town 5 years or longer. There was so much seasonal work, they did not trust the newcomers to pay the loan payments and would be leaving in a few months when the work decreased. The owner said he would check with his local banks in his town he did business with, and see if they would do the financing. Called me back and said he found the same thing there, and asked for my advice on what to do. I gave it to him, and within 30 minutes delivery people were on their way to empty the store out and move the merchandise to the warehouse in the other city. The manager got back from vacation and found his store closed and out of business, and he was out of a job.

Went to the other store, and found the problem was location. There is an old saying in retail, location, location, and the third one just verifies the first two. The problem was it was across the side street where the road dipped to go under a rail road underpass. Everyone was looking at this dip, instead of paying attention to the stores in the area. The vast majority of people would never even see the store, with their eyes being diverted for going under the rail road. Closed that store also. In a week, I closed two money loser stores and was out of business. Owner did give me one month salary, as a severance.

Had another full time job the next day.

I was a temp trouble shooter, and did what was needed done.

The other employees had no idea of why I was hired, and why I was working there. There were few around that could have solved those two problems by knowing it was time to close down the stores. Others would be looking for solutions to increase business. I was there to figure out why the sales were so slow, and to report is there was a solution to the problem. I did exactly what I was hired for.

You don't know what talent the temp brings to the job, and why he/she was hired. If there is some unique talent you know nothing about, of course they would have hired him/her even if he/she was going on a vacation. It is time you worry about doing your job, not if the company is giving a temp consideration they would not give a permanent hire. It is none of your business, what is going on. It is above your pay grade to know.
Good point.

It could be the temp was hired to figure out who the slackers were, sent in to see who was busy nosing around into what others were or were not doing instead of getting their own work done.

Mission accomplished and temp was gone.

Old 05-21-2018, 10:15 AM

16,576 posts, read 19,785,065 times
Quote:
It was mentioned by another coworker that he said vacation which means it was never brought up when he first started as a temp.
Are you for real? This is absolutely ridiculous. You have ZERO idea if this was brought up, and I have no doubt it was because that's what 99% of responsible ADULTS WOULD DO.
40? 50 replies in this thread. ONE person sort of agreed with you.
My wife just started a new job. Supposed to accrue vacation. Told them she has 2, count em 2 vacations coming up. Know what they said? That's fine. We want you so bad! I told her she should ask for 3!
Hell, I started a job once and told them I had a vacation in a few months... (whisper and I didn't... just wanted a week off). This was in the dark ages when you had to work for 12 MONTHS before getting ONE day of vacation. They were fine with it.
Any employer that ISN'T fine with that is an employer... I am NOT working for.

And you have STILL not answered: does the temp being gone impact you and your job?

Old 05-21-2018, 11:22 AM

3,990 posts, read 5,026,559 times
Out of all the comments by the OP, the one that irked me a bit was the one where she passes judgment on the temp for taking a vacation. She comments on how he "shouldn't" be on vacation if he's a temp...and on and on... OMG! As many other posters have mentioned, there are many reasons why he would be on vacation. But to have such a strong and negative opinion of what he should and shouldn't do, without ANY actual facts, without ACTUAL conversation with this guy, without ANYTHING, you've decided that you have all you need and think it's weird.

Yep, I'm with the others, there are so many variables that make this situation normal, it wouldn't have even registered.

Old 05-21-2018, 11:49 AM

7,019 posts, read 3,767,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Are you for real? This is absolutely ridiculous. You have ZERO idea if this was brought up, and I have no doubt it was because that's what 99% of responsible ADULTS WOULD DO.
40? 50 replies in this thread. ONE person sort of agreed with you.
My wife just started a new job. Supposed to accrue vacation. Told them she has 2, count em 2 vacations coming up. Know what they said? That's fine. We want you so bad! I told her she should ask for 3!
Hell, I started a job once and told them I had a vacation in a few months... (whisper and I didn't... just wanted a week off). This was in the dark ages when you had to work for 12 MONTHS before getting ONE day of vacation. They were fine with it.
Any employer that ISN'T fine with that is an employer... I am NOT working for.

And you have STILL not answered: does the temp being gone impact you and your job?
Not really but since I sit next to him I will always notice when he is out. Other permanent employees was wondering why he missed the last two days since he is a temp.

Old 05-21-2018, 03:37 PM

11,200 posts, read 9,823,383 times
Nobody's business except the supervisor's.

Old 05-21-2018, 06:51 PM

11,024 posts, read 7,874,602 times
I wonder if the OP and her coworkers who are so exorcised over the temp being on vacation actually ever have enough vacation time accrued to take time off or if they are used to dribbling their time away a day, or half day at a time?

Old 05-21-2018, 07:58 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,622,385 times
Quote:
This is my first time sitting next to a temp since being with the company so I couldn't help but notice if a temp is missing days. It was mentioned by another coworker that he said vacation which means it was never brought up when he first started as a temp. Plus I am not the only permanent employee who noticed he was out because it's not the norm to miss days when you are in your first 90 days working as a temp.
I don't see why you think the mentioning of vacation means it wasn't brought up when he started. YOU are not in on the agreement between the temp and the employer. You do not know when the temp made the agreement with the employer. And your employer DID agree to the time off. You don't even know what the time off is for, really. He said it was vacation, but if he's getting surgery, he's certainly not going to tell you or other strangers. What he is doing in that time off is private information and really no one's business but the employer's.

This is normal. This is not weird.

If you've ever been self-employed, like a contract worker is, you would understand it. The temp interviews not just to be hired. He also interviews to see if he wants to take the job. He doesn't have to. He can make a different offer, too. Maybe different hours. It's up to the temp. The employer & temp come to an agreement, or not.

It would be your business if the temp was hired to assist you. Otherwise, it really is none of your concern. Posters here are baffled why you even care or think you know things that it's obvious you don't know.

Your employer made this arrangement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment