Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 11:45 AM

118 posts, read 132,283 times

Advertisements

My background check and drug test finally came back and I'm starting on Tuesday. What should I expect? And any advice for new hire like me? I'm so excited and nervous at the same time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2018, 11:48 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,085,450 times
No specific advice from me, as I don’t work in the pharmacy sector or at Kroger. My guess is that you should wear comfortable shoes and be 5 minutes early for your shift.

Congratulations and good luck.

Old 05-18-2018, 12:05 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,965,297 times
Sounds like a boring job! Of course you will probably get to know your regulars.

Old 05-18-2018, 12:42 PM

5,340 posts, read 8,569,138 times
Congratulations on your new job! I don't work in a pharmacy, but as someone who has used a pharmacy, I'd like to say that I really appreciate it when the staff is friendly and respectful.

I'm sure you will face some rude and stressed out patients in your job. When people are feeling stressed about their health or the health of a family member, it can lead to them lashing out at pharmacy staff when they find out the cost of their medication is much higher than they thought it would be, or the insurance company refuses to pay for it, or the doctor's office hasn't faxed it in yet, or the insurance will only cover a small number of pills, etc.

You will need to learn how to maintain composure at all times, and not take any bad behavior personally. If someone is upset, convey that you are sympathetic to what they are going through. Sometimes all a person needs is to feel that someone has listened and understands why they are upset.

One specific piece of advice I would give you is to learn about the various discount programs available to help people with the costs of medications (such as goodrx.com). Many people are not educated about how their insurance works, and they have no idea that there may be ways to get their medications cheaper through programs like goodrx. If you can be informed about this, you will be in a position to help the person when they are standing there upset because they can't afford their medication. I've observed this exact thing happen more than once at a pharmacy.

good luck!!

Old 05-18-2018, 12:45 PM

12,113 posts, read 23,351,234 times
Kroger (and a lot of other places) is strict about the time clock, so don't punch in or out too early or too late. Address any scheduling issues immediately. When I worked there employees were not allowed to have a personal cell phone in their hand unless they were on a break.

Old 05-18-2018, 01:08 PM

9,462 posts, read 8,445,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Kroger (and a lot of other places) is strict about the time clock, so don't punch in or out too early or too late. Address any scheduling issues immediately. When I worked there employees were not allowed to have a personal cell phone in their hand unless they were on a break.
I really hope no pharmacists or anyone handling people's medications are not allowed to be distracted with cellphones! Sheesh!

Old 05-18-2018, 01:18 PM

870 posts, read 2,114,585 times
KittenSparkles had some really great advice for working with patients/customers. Since you're working in a pharmacy, don't be afraid to ask questions! Some medications are very similar in name but treat very different illnesses. While the pharmacist should double-check everything, they are often swamped.

Also, work on reading up on different drugs, interactions, and side effects. It can be dull, but the more familiar you are with the medicines, the better your performance will be and you'll get comfortable more quickly.

Finally, make sure you are absolutely committed to patient privacy. You'll quickly get numb to various medicines, but sometimes there is a Rx filled for a good friend or a significant (local) political figure/celebrity. It's not your business who needs an STD cream, and no one else needs to know, either! I know they'll drill this into you during training, but that is one piece of advice that cannot be repeated too often.

Congratulations and good luck!

Old 05-18-2018, 02:13 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,273,830 times
I would second all the advice so far. and, remember to always try to be professional, but caring......personally I will go out of my way to spend my money at places where I feel the customer service is excellent.

Congrats on your new job!!

Old 05-18-2018, 02:27 PM

10,627 posts, read 12,180,119 times
Quote:
Sounds like a boring job!
The OP is excited about the new job at a pharmacy.
1) Why on earth would you say it sounds boring? Is that what you call encouraging?
2) What on earth about it do you think could possibly be boring?

Old 05-18-2018, 02:33 PM

11,126 posts, read 5,615,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
No specific advice from me, as I don’t work in the pharmacy sector or at Kroger. My guess is that you should wear comfortable shoes and be 5 minutes early for your shift.

Congratulations and good luck.

Most people who work in medical and dental clinics, hospitals and pharmacies, wear running shoes on the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment