Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 11:42 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,787,311 times

Advertisements

Interesting night last night. I was chatting with the supervisor who admitted he put in for mold tech position and I asked him why. He admitted the BS from above was bothering him and he had gotten tired of it. But he said he's be talking to the manager (Owner) about being "Supervisor (Mold Tech trainee)"

"I am not so concerned with the pay, I WANT the knowledge" he said. Reasons mainly as he could handle the little things and let the tech deal with the bigger issues.

Rare to have someone like that around. Would you learn part of another job just for the knowledge, even if it meant you'd get no increase in pay or position?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2018, 12:01 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
In the case of that supervisor, though, he's not JUST applying for that other position JUST for the knowledge.
He's also doing it to get away from the BS he's been dealing with.

So, would I apply for a lateral, or lower position -- to have less (or different) BS to deal with? Yes. Even if it meant no raise. Hell, I might do it even for a pay cut. Depends on how bad I'd want out of the BS.

(Do it absolutely JUST for the knowledge? Only if I had another game plan....like take that knowledge and title to put on a resume and leave with it. But even in that case it wouldn't be JUST for the knowledge...it's for the knowledge AND the next step in the plan.)

And if as a new position to me that meant learning some new stuff...I guess you know that when you decide to put in for the position....that learning some new stuff might be required.

Old 06-05-2018, 12:22 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,227,783 times
In addition, the new knowledge gets more job security. They're hot going to let this guy go as easily as they were before.

Old 06-05-2018, 12:23 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,787,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
In the case of that supervisor, though, he's not JUST applying for that other position JUST for the knowledge.
He's also doing it to get away from the BS he's been dealing with.

So, would I apply for a lateral, or lower position -- to have less (or different) BS to deal with? Yes. Even if it meant no raise. Hell, I might do it even for a pay cut. Depends on how bad I'd want out of the BS.

(Do it absolutely JUST for the knowledge? Only if I had another game plan....like take that knowledge and title to put on a resume and leave with it. But even in that case it wouldn't be JUST for the knowledge...it's for the knowledge AND the next step in the plan.)

And if as a new position to me that meant learning some new stuff...I guess you know that when you decide to put in for the position....that learning some new stuff might be required.
No, he's willing to "Put up" with the BS, but if he gets the knowledge, he "Could" transition to that position. I suspect he may very well, want to be a mold tech (He's salaried) and the mold techs make about $37 an hour OT.

Old 06-05-2018, 12:26 PM

369 posts, read 325,547 times
Golden rule of creating a small business is "know as much about the industry as possible". He may be building skill sets.
Jim

Old 06-05-2018, 12:29 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
I still don't think he's doing it JUST for the knowledge.
He's doing it for the knowledge -- AND the additional options it might also provide.

It will interesting to see how others respond to your question.

Old 06-05-2018, 12:41 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,227,783 times
Another reason is to obtain the knowledge he can use to jump ship to a better company if the BS gets bad enough.

Old 06-05-2018, 12:53 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,987,383 times
It’s a big risk these days to do downward movement. Mainly because companies now layoff from the bottom up instead of the top down in most places

Can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen useless management avoid the axe while valuable workers are shown the door

Old 06-05-2018, 01:04 PM

1,589 posts, read 1,189,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copymutt View Post
Golden rule of creating a small business is "know as much about the industry as possible". He may be building skill sets.
Jim
Exactly. Anytime you build upon your skills in the industry you are in, your 'worth' to the company (or for that matter, ANY company), can go up. I can't tell you how many times I 'expanded' laterally into more responsibility to pick up knowledge from the pros I was working with. I was already salaried, so it never came with extra pay. Eventually I morphed into one of the pros, but I never quit learning from co-workers. The main difference is I was learning new skills from seniors to begin with, and toward the end of my career, was learning new skills from my juniors. Good knowledge is where you find it, and doesn't come with an attached age.

Last edited by MichiganGreg; 06-05-2018 at 01:12 PM..

Old 06-05-2018, 01:10 PM

1,589 posts, read 1,189,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
It’s a big risk these days to do downward movement. Mainly because companies now layoff from the bottom up instead of the top down in most places

Can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen useless management avoid the axe while valuable workers are shown the door
As a caveat to my last post, regarding 'worth', I will admit that it is relative. The only time I was ever axed (2011) was when I was one of the top earners at the company, and the company needed to save money. I thought I was safe...I had just helped them design a product which became one of the 2010 CES Products of the year. Silly me. The company has having cash flow issues, drew a line in the sand, and anyone over $xx per year was let go. 51 of us hit the streets in one day- from the VP of Sales to three of the Senior Engineering staff.

RIF can be a *itch to all involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment