Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 10:10 AM

131 posts, read 298,465 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I'm going to relocate to a different state in a few months and I want to start networking in advance of my move in order to improve my chances of landing a job in my new home.

In the past, I've found great success with a strategy wherein I contact key people (not HR staff) at potential employers and ask them if I can conduct an informational interview with them. I tell them that the purpose of the interview is to gain knowledge of how to further my career, when in fact, it's my opportunity to subtly sell myself to them when they inevitably ask me during the informational interview to provide my professional background.

However, the last time I did this was eight years ago. Since that time, it's become nearly impossible to find individual employee email addresses online. When I've tried to obtain them by calling the company, the gatekeepers inform me they're not permitted to give out employees' email addresses.

I really don't want to rely solely on filling out job applications and so I've found myself lost as to how to proceed further on my own. I've started looking into tools that find people's work email addresses for you. Of course, these tools aren't free.

I'm willing to pay a certain amount of money per month, as I can't think of an alternative solution, but I want to make sure I'm not throwing my money away. So I was wondering if any of you have used any of these tools recently and if you can recommend any? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2018, 10:20 AM

9,406 posts, read 8,382,899 times
Sorry but this sounds like a terrible strategy. Most people do not want unsolicited calls or emails from strangers looking to "network" with them. In fact, personally I would actually be completely put off by this and if something did come up I would look to someone else rather than some spammer who is blanketing companies with emails. Beyond that, how would you know you're getting to the right person such as HR or a hiring manager anyway? Sounds like you'll be simply irritating a lot of people and ruining your chances of actually being hired by that company.

I don't know of any companies who would do this for you either as that would be a very quick way to get blocked completely from an entire organization. In today's day and age of hypersensitivity to privacy this will not go over well.

Old 06-06-2018, 10:26 AM

Florida2014, using this strategy several years ago, I landed four job interviews and received two job offers within four months. In the process, I scheduled informational interviews with over half of the people I contacted. No one I contacted expressed irritation. It does work.

I wouldn't blindly blanket staff members at companies. Rather, I would reach out to one or two staff members at each company who held leadership positions in my field. I would ask for 10 minutes of their time.

There are plenty of tools out there that find email addresses. I've already started conducting research on it.

Old 06-06-2018, 10:34 AM

9,406 posts, read 8,382,899 times
4 interviews in 4 months? Not something to pound your chest about. You have better odds by simply going through the normal channels - resumes, applications, etc. Sorry to poo poo this strategy, I just think it sounds very spammy.

Old 06-06-2018, 10:37 AM

Does anyone have HELPFUL information, versus insulting my previous results?

Old 06-06-2018, 10:43 AM

1,684 posts, read 3,957,718 times
are you on Linkedin? that could be a tool for your search.

Old 06-06-2018, 11:10 AM

Thanks for the idea, littlelou! I am, but unfortunately, I haven't had any luck finding email addresses via LinkedIn. I HAVE found job titles for potential contacts, however, so it's been helpful in that sense.

Old 06-06-2018, 02:19 PM

1,104 posts, read 920,192 times
Yeah I know what you're saying, you're doing things the wrong way round though, sadly there are no easy E-mail addresses you can just use to get work, the gatekeepers are there for a reason - you have to jump over their own hurdles first.

I don't use linkedin, but I would advise that if you're trying to get around, build one with photos of you as respectable family man, lots of friends, the kind where you're at a wedding or a function. (NOT pictures of you lying face down in a gutter in your own vomit.) Aggressively market it towards companies and groups that fit you. There's a whole economy of recruiters which survive off profiles which will like that and will want to get to know you.

Another thing is to dress nicely and look respectable. If you dress like crap, you're going to get treated like crap. Get a nice haircut and experiment with your clothes and jewelry. This makes so much difference in your networking when people meet you face to face.

Finally, be clear about your goal and what industry you are trying to get around in. Take the time to look at the relevant CEOs and MDs you would be working under, and understand their own motivations and methods. For instance, one of my previous regional directors used to be in the military, and applied their background into their corporate life. Find out about what the leaders in these companies you want to work for actually stand for. While everyone else is namedropping meaningless supervisors, try to be one of the 1 or 2 people per year who pay attention to the beliefs of people who run the entire business.

With my company, we get so many other people who are trying to do the same - get names, e-mail addresses, yadda yadda, writing to me as if I'm the chairman of the board. Sorry, this isn't impressive at all, it's a nuisance. Get out of my inbox! Build a respectable profile and target people who target others. Once you have built your base and have an articulated goal, you'll find you can get around better than e-mailing random people who have no interest in what you are talking about.

Old 06-06-2018, 04:40 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,231,480 times
Have you tried going on LinkedIn and connecting with HR people at various companies you're looking to join?

Old 06-06-2018, 06:36 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,581,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebu077 View Post
Does anyone have HELPFUL information, versus insulting my previous results?
Linkedin messaging
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment