Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 08:25 AM

2,515 posts, read 1,703,699 times

Advertisements

Never sued anyone ever in my life
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2018, 09:26 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,674,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Being publically available and becoming known to the public are two different things.
Knowing something is out there but counting on it to remain hidden in the noise is called "security by obscurity", and it never works. Ever.

Old 08-09-2018, 10:48 AM

2,114 posts, read 2,355,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
It's public record but I'm not sure it goes down in the public record, until a judgment/verdict is rendered.
As soon as you file, it's public record and available for lookup on the court clerk's website.

Old 08-09-2018, 10:55 AM

2,114 posts, read 2,355,047 times
We once received an application from a person who listed as her reason for leaving from every job that she ever had, "Wrongfully terminated - lawsuit pending". We didn't interview her.

Old 08-09-2018, 11:00 AM

5,732 posts, read 4,331,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orca17 View Post
We once received an application from a person who listed as her reason for leaving from every job that she ever had, "Wrongfully terminated - lawsuit pending". We didn't interview her.
maybe she was trying to maintain her unemployment eligibility.

Old 08-09-2018, 11:03 AM

5,732 posts, read 4,331,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
Knowing something is out there but counting on it to remain hidden in the noise is called "security by obscurity", and it never works. Ever.

I think it works sometimes, and no that is not what security by obscurity is.

Old 08-09-2018, 11:10 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,909 posts, read 2,076,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Or know anyone who has sued for discrimination or retaliation or other serious civil infractions involving wrongful termination after they started a new job? How'd that work out for you/them, assuming the new employer found out. And what I mean specifcially is how did the new employer react.

I know someone about to do just that, and there's a nearly 100% chance the new employer will find out and likely won't be too pleased, because they are closely affiliated with the old one (different agencies of the same government body).
You're asking a question with no easy or right answer. In a private sector, I've never known someone who didn't regret filing a lawsuit against their former employer. I've known three. Two of them received no moneys, and one did which was laughably low. Almost everyone in the industry they worked in knew of their pending litigation. All of three of them changed industries during the lawsuit process.

Your scenario has an added twist of being a government body. That's a different animal all together. There are certain protections available to government employees that don't apply to private sector.

Old 08-09-2018, 11:43 AM

11,097 posts, read 6,695,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orca17 View Post
As soon as you file, it's public record and available for lookup on the court clerk's website.
If it was settled out of court, it isn't listed anywhere the average person can see it, is it? We tried to look up some guy who sued through EEOC at the court, but since they settled, there was nothing to find at court.

Old 08-09-2018, 11:44 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,909 posts, read 2,076,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
If it was settled out of court, it isn't listed anywhere the average person can see it, is it? We tried to look up some guy who sued through EEOC at the court, but since they settled, there was nothing to find at court.
Filing with EEOC is considered an administrative complaint, and it isn't a public record.

Old 08-09-2018, 12:32 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,714,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post
You're asking a question with no easy or right answer. In a private sector, I've never known someone who didn't regret filing a lawsuit against their former employer. I've known three. Two of them received no moneys, and one did which was laughably low. Almost everyone in the industry they worked in knew of their pending litigation. All of three of them changed industries during the lawsuit process.

Your scenario has an added twist of being a government body. That's a different animal all together. There are certain protections available to government employees that don't apply to private sector.
My mom knows someone who sued a prior employer for gender discrimination in her office about 10-15 years ago. This woman was a successful professional locally in her field. It was newsworthy and she prevailed (I think she was a named plaintiff in a class action), so I don’t think she regretted it. That said, she is in a field where she has clients, so most of them ended up going with her when she left her first organization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment