Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 10:19 AM

5,772 posts, read 3,229,495 times

Advertisements

I will start it off.
1. People in the lunch room at 12:15 PM
2. Older people in the lunch room who are not in thousand dollar suits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2018, 10:26 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,997,021 times
3. The bathrooms. Are they clean or dirty. that can actually speak VOLUMES with a place. Because they will assume you wont use the bathroom. If its a mess, then thats the first red flag for me.

Old 12-10-2018, 10:32 AM

5,900 posts, read 3,909,533 times
4) How well does the hiring manager represent the values of the organization? Are they professional in their approach?

If the interviewer is badmouthing current/former employees, trashing other companies, or being extremely rude to the candidate (interrupting and/or criticizing answers, using foul language, etc.) then its red flags that you don't want to work there.

Old 12-10-2018, 10:42 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,668,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
I will start it off.
1. People in the lunch room at 12:15 PM
2. Older people in the lunch room who are not in thousand dollar suits.
I'm not clear on what insights you would glean from these observations.

Old 12-10-2018, 11:25 AM

9,426 posts, read 8,405,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
I'm not clear on what insights you would glean from these observations.
Me either, lol. I don't get that at all.

Old 12-10-2018, 11:28 AM

9,426 posts, read 8,405,872 times
I try and meet the people I'll be working with if I can help it. When I meet them I try and get a sense to their work/life balance. Do they complain about working weekends, long hours, stress, etc? Is it just one person complaining or do you hear that same thing from everyone?

Ask about the manager's style...is he/she hands on (i.e: micromanager) or do they allow their employees independence?

A big thing to listen for is if they are expanding. Expansion is generally (not always!) a good thing. They're hiring more people because they are winning more business and can't keep up, as an example.

Ask why the position is open and how long that person was in the position prior. Is it a revolving door? Possible red flag.

Old 12-10-2018, 12:17 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,923,379 times
On the job interview with who? The HR manager, the hiring manger, or the interview with future co-workers? What I'm looking for is very different depending on who I'm talking to.

Overall though, I'm looking for drive, curiosity (a desire to do things correctly and innovate, and not just do things to get them done), etc. I'm trying to get an idea of the culture of the place. How questions are asked as well as watching interactions between people who already work there is important.

Old 12-10-2018, 01:38 PM

10,616 posts, read 12,152,727 times
Honest answers? OP, why presume one has to give honest answers?
Other than specific questions about skill and experience.....you could likely tell tall tales all you want and they'd never know.

The last three interviews I had, almost all questions were:
-- Tell me about a time when....? (you could make up an example, and they'd never know)
-- What would you do if.....? (you could tell them what they want to hear, even if it's not really what you'd do.)
-- What's your proudest business and personal accomplishment..." (just pick something impressive)
-- How did you handle it when...?
-- What's your biggest business and personal disappointment...? (pick something innocuous, but not too innocuous)
-- Do you like work alone or in a team....?
You get the idea.

Nothing specifically related to can you actually DO -- or have you actually done -- this or that.
I know engineers and IT folks have said they don't get those kinds of interviews. But I think that most interviews today are the personality type. Which may be fine with most folks, because they can just make stuff up to get the job. (which is the goal, after all)

As for what to look for on interview day, I'd say sure cleanliness, but also try to pick up a "vibe/atmosphere/intangible energy" from the place. Is someone who works there, when you're introduced and the boss or HR person is standing there, really going to say, "this place is hell and sucking our souls dry, run like the wind?" Of course not.

If you're desperate for the job, you may end up having to accept an offer you don't even want anyway.
If you HAVE a job, and don't need this one, then you can afford to be more pointed in what you really want to know. Even then -- depending on whether you mind if more of your time is wasted -- I might hold off on what I call "nitty-gritty" rubber-meets-the-road-questions until you have an offer and are negotiating -- when you know they want YOU.

As for questions about expansion and management style....sure you gotta ask. But just remember interviewers lie. So sometimes in the end you're weighing what you think is true vs. what you don't believe.

Last edited by selhars; 12-10-2018 at 01:49 PM..

Old 12-10-2018, 02:28 PM

35,105 posts, read 31,381,963 times
Facilities. While no one expects a palace, foregone maintenance speaks a lot about their priorities toward staff.

Old 12-10-2018, 02:31 PM

6,465 posts, read 7,809,915 times
Cash money. If they can't drop a few Benjamin's as a pre hire bonus (you know, as a show of good will), I'm out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment