Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 10:06 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,230,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Take those math/statistics skills and get into data science to make $$$$
There are no data science jobs that require no experience. The OP will wind up with more debt and wondering how to get a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2019, 12:06 AM

5,888 posts, read 3,228,419 times
I should mention try to get into sales while you work on your higher Ed plans. You can make a lot of money working for a healthcare or bio/pharma firm.

Old 03-26-2019, 02:58 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,990,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
I should mention try to get into sales while you work on your higher Ed plans. You can make a lot of money working for a healthcare or bio/pharma firm.

You can. But you have to be extroverted and have the “gift to gab”. It takes a certain skill set for that job. If you’re more of an introvert or being around people quickly becomes draining, sales is definitely NOT for you

Old 03-26-2019, 07:15 PM

119 posts, read 68,509 times
There's a lot you can do with you bio degree. In fact you may wind up in a career that has nothing to do with it. I have worked in business with music majors and social work majors. I have taken a number of career assessment tests. By far, the most accurate and insightful career test for me was the free CareerOneStop Interest Assessment. You can go to the BLS website and watch day in the life videos. Before you make a decision as to a career, make sure you shadow. It might be embarrassing to ask if you can shadow but it is worth it.

Old 04-30-2019, 01:35 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,206,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psyche_da_mike24 View Post
u wot m8

Most bio/life science majors who go down paths 1 and 2 already have an established career interest in medicine and healthcare from when they start undergrad, if not earlier. Just because you're interested in bio and life science doesn't necessarily mean this is a good career path for you.

Not trying to discourage readers from randomly deciding to go into medicine and healthcare midway through their college career btw. I just want to emphasize that the cognitive demands and work schedule of healthcare fields isn't for everyone.

From what I've heard and observed from shadowing healthcare professionals in college, there's a ton of overlap in terms of what PAs and MDs do, particularly in rural settings and in specialties with acute MD shortages. The main difference is PAs can't make certain prescriptions or diagnoses.

PA's, Hospitalists, and a host of others are new things, given increasingly more "professional" duties, never seen before. But, in the end, it's the pay. PA's earn 1/4 to 1/3 what the MD's they assist earn. Hospitalists are still paid fairly well (but they have medical degrees and do a lot of footwork - some of it high pressure stuff).

In my experience (taught med school students and PA students) there is not much difference in the sweat you put out getting there. It's getting into the program that is different. What has recently occurred is that today, it is almost as easy to get into a DO or MD program as it is to get into a PA program (of most types). So, if it fits you, go for the top. Few people actually realize the very wide scope of careers a DO or MD degree will afford you - not to mention, in the foreseeable future, an income 3 - 4X as much - doing pretty much the same thing that a PA does, but you sitting in your comfy office calling the shots. With an MD or DO degree, you can have a lucrative career never ever seeing a live patient. In the near future opportunities of that type will surely increase. Few people realize that - your preprofessional counselor likely will not bring that up.

If you are in your twenties it is important to realize that your energy levels are now peak, and you have way less outside obligations/distractions than you'll ever have for the next 40 years. For that reason, that is not a time to short yourself. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Last edited by TwinbrookNine; 04-30-2019 at 01:43 PM..

Old 05-06-2019, 02:38 PM

1,638 posts, read 1,111,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
With an MD or DO degree, you can have a lucrative career never ever seeing a live patient. In the near future opportunities of that type will surely increase.
First all physicians need to do 2 years of rotations in med school. Most of them involve working with patients and in order to pass you need to work with patients...a lot. Most subspecialties involve working with people except radiology and pathology.

Are we really going to need more pathologists and radiologists in the future? I think automation will hammer away at both professions honestly. There's already some practices outsourcing radiology readings. Sending high definition photos of abnormal cells to the lowest bidder abroad won't be too hard for pathology either.

Old 05-07-2019, 09:17 AM

1,199 posts, read 725,936 times
STEM jobs require a phd which is usually free if you didn't totally fail school. If you just have a Bachelors look into lab temp agencies like Clinlab for grunt jobs that basically is like doing a phd. My friends brother is an epidemiologist which is a good job within the NYC government because the city has diseases from around the world.

Old 10-12-2019, 11:23 AM

3,493 posts, read 3,206,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post
First all physicians need to do 2 years of rotations in med school. Most of them involve working with patients and in order to pass you need to work with patients...a lot. Most subspecialties involve working with people except radiology and pathology.

Are we really going to need more pathologists and radiologists in the future? I think automation will hammer away at both professions honestly. There's already some practices outsourcing radiology readings. Sending high definition photos of abnormal cells to the lowest bidder abroad won't be too hard for pathology either.
What you do for 2 years now may have zero to do with what you do for the next 30 years actually out making a living! Do you get it?

Your life is not set in stone when you are 25. Did you honestly think that citing a term paper in 12th grade had anything at all to do with what you'd do for the rest of your life? Well, the same goes for undergrad.

Get the degree (med school is way different then that depressing undergrad stuff; fun, actually) and open up the possibilities for yourself. That's what you need to do at your age. In reality, if you have to examine just one butt hole in those two years, that's exceptional.

btw, I know radiologists making $750,000 a year. Some radiology subspecialties are the highest paid physicians of all.

Old 10-12-2019, 03:02 PM

50,828 posts, read 36,527,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post

Pharma companies hire beautiful young women for the most part. It also takes a special personality. They aren't going to hire anyone with no sales experience though.

Old 10-12-2019, 03:13 PM

50,828 posts, read 36,527,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
What you do for 2 years now may have zero to do with what you do for the next 30 years actually out making a living! Do you get it?

Your life is not set in stone when you are 25. Did you honestly think that citing a term paper in 12th grade had anything at all to do with what you'd do for the rest of your life? Well, the same goes for undergrad.

Get the degree (med school is way different then that depressing undergrad stuff; fun, actually) and open up the possibilities for yourself. That's what you need to do at your age. In reality, if you have to examine just one butt hole in those two years, that's exceptional.

btw, I know radiologists making $750,000 a year. Some radiology subspecialties are the highest paid physicians of all.

Actually radiologists are a profession threatened by AI. They have AI now that can detect lung cancer on a scan while it's still too small for the human eye.

If OP isn't driven and able to work with patients though he will never get through med school. It is also extremely hard to get into, yet people are tossing it out quite casually like all he has to do is decide.

IMO OP should not pick any career based on money, it needs to be on his strong suits, what he's good at and likes doing. If he did that before undergrad he wouldn't be in this situation. He liked research, that's a good field and it won't be hard to build on a biology BA for that.

OP I suggest you look through a bunch of Indeed ads, punch in BIo research, and see what jobs come up, whether it sounds like something you would like, and what the qualifications are, then what it would take to get those qualifications. Look up epidemeologist, look up all the things you listed in your OP when you told us the things you liked the most. Also take honest stock of your skills, strengths and weaknesses, and see if they are a good fit, because if not you will struggle no matter the degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment