Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2019, 08:23 PM

576 posts, read 824,579 times

Advertisements

I reported to this lady directly to her manager for asking for food. I'm server in a long term care and I'm not allowed to give residents food to staff, even left overs from a meal. One of my co workers went to talk to my manager that staff from that particular floor were asking her for food. Our manager emailed the manager from that floor to talk to the his staff. Well one of the staff from that floor was still asking for food so I contacted her manager directly and tell him the names. A lady and another gentleman .And the manager thanked me and said he already spoke to them but didn't know who in particular and according to her the lady who is still asking for food was off that day. He then said he will talk to the lady and the gentleman about it. I asked him to keep my name out of it and he promised that they won't find out it's from me.

Well, I ran into the lady since and the vibe is different than before. She didn't say hi and she isn't as friendly as before. Does she know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2019, 08:49 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,034,249 times
Probably not. But she knows someone did, so she's probably going to "be funny" toward everyone for a little while, until she gets over the embarassment.

Old 04-04-2019, 10:47 AM

838 posts, read 555,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissmamaAnnie View Post
Well, I ran into the lady since and the vibe is different than before. She didn't say hi and she isn't as friendly as before. Does she know?
She's probably weak from not eating.

Did anyone wonder why she was still asking for food? Did anyone consider that she may go without so her kids can eat first? Perhaps she doesn't have the money to buy food on a regular basis for even just herself; assuming she doesn't have dependents?

My first instinct would have been to pull the lady aside and say, "I am not sure of your circumstances, and it is none of my business, but I don't want you to lose your job because you are going against regulations by eating left over resident food". If she confides in you that she is having money issues perhaps you can offer suggestions on how to budget better or maybe see if others would consider pitching in for a pizza or bringing extra leftover's in from home. If she ignores your concern and continues to chow down then that is on her and whatever happens, happens.

Yes, I know I'm a bleeding heart sometimes but I just think it is sad that the first go-to was to report her rather than having a one-on-one with her first.

And I do think people should be reported to management, eventually, but this doesn't sound like a terrible enough offense to make that the first, or even second, stop.

Old 04-04-2019, 10:53 AM

130,456 posts, read 12,124,678 times
She probably put 2 & 2 together. It is sad to think of someone needing food.

Old 04-04-2019, 02:01 PM

29,522 posts, read 22,674,035 times
They sure do

//www.city-data.com/forum/work-...low-staff.html

Old 04-04-2019, 03:57 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,884,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanIAmVA View Post
She's probably weak from not eating.

Did anyone wonder why she was still asking for food? Did anyone consider that she may go without so her kids can eat first? Perhaps she doesn't have the money to buy food on a regular basis for even just herself; assuming she doesn't have dependents?

My first instinct would have been to pull the lady aside and say, "I am not sure of your circumstances, and it is none of my business, but I don't want you to lose your job because you are going against regulations by eating left over resident food". If she confides in you that she is having money issues perhaps you can offer suggestions on how to budget better or maybe see if others would consider pitching in for a pizza or bringing extra leftover's in from home. If she ignores your concern and continues to chow down then that is on her and whatever happens, happens.

Yes, I know I'm a bleeding heart sometimes but I just think it is sad that the first go-to was to report her rather than having a one-on-one with her first.

And I do think people should be reported to management, eventually, but this doesn't sound like a terrible enough offense to make that the first, or even second, stop.
That's very kind and considerate however it's unfair to expect OP to provide finance and dietary counsel when she likely lacks the resources and training to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment