Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2019, 10:29 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CooperADK View Post
I was recently asked to write 5 different types of social media posts for an interview. Took me about 2 hours to make it perfect, and I didn't get paid for that. It did land me an interview but I didn't get the job either. Honestly was a blessing in disguise from what I've heard and the commute would have been awful anyway, but it annoyed me at the time. I don't think I'd do it again.
I wouldn't especially if they use my sample posts for their actual feed. I wouldn't want my labour to be done for free and the company benefits from it. If I get asked to do it and I got fooled before, I'd state that I do not work for free, I had a previous company rip me off for it. If they press, I say the interview is over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2019, 04:55 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
IANAL but doesn't this meet the definition of theft by deception? Maybe some managers need to be made to do the perp walk to curtail the practice.

Last edited by MSchemist80; 04-01-2019 at 06:08 AM..

Old 04-01-2019, 06:56 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
IANAL but doesn't this meet the definition of theft by deception? Maybe some managers need to be made to do the perp walk to curtail the practice.
Well if it was actually used and not "busy work." Like the social media posts mentioned. Using them from someone who wrote them out would be highly problematic if they don't work for the company. I've heard of people actually asking to do this before on the website, but I'm not sure how it got around Federal Labour and Wage law.

Old 04-01-2019, 07:13 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,663,139 times
An awful lot of problems in life can be solved by learning how to say "No" firmly. It's OK if someone else hears something they don't want to hear. It's OK if someone thinks you're a big meanie. It's OK to say, "This situation isn't right, and I'm not going to participate. I'm going to stand up for myself, and if things don't work out, that's OK, I'll just go on to the next thing."

Old 04-01-2019, 07:20 AM

The problem is job seekers can be very desperate and that leads them to be vulnerable to fraud and abuse and believe me I've seen all sorts of obnoxious, rude, and abusive behavior from companies towards job-seekers. Managers and HR people know they can get away with treating jobseekers terribly and so they do so.

Old 04-01-2019, 07:22 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
About ten years ago, I heard of this more often than I do now.

People were asked to do a typical work project as part of the interview process. When they didn't get the job, they were suspicious that this was just a way to get some free work out of them.

Old 04-01-2019, 08:22 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,648,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryview22 View Post
According to this article, "Interviewers are increasingly making absurd demands on applicants’ time..."

https://slate.com/human-interest/201...ree-labor.html
I stopped reading as soon as I realized you're quoting Slate, a self-described leftist, progressive, anti-business online rag.

Old 04-01-2019, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I wouldn't especially if they use my sample posts for their actual feed. I wouldn't want my labour to be done for free and the company benefits from it. If I get asked to do it and I got fooled before, I'd state that I do not work for free, I had a previous company rip me off for it. If they press, I say the interview is over.
Perhaps mark your work product copyrighted.

Old 04-01-2019, 08:39 AM

Tons of peer-reviewed articles in academic journals show candidate interviews do a very poor job discriminating between good candidates and bad ones.

Attempting to use past job performance history has turned quite difficult, as wary prior employers fearing lawsuits from disgruntled former sub-par employees nowadays are likely to just provide "name, rank, & serial number" in response to a reference check rather than true, honest feedback.

"Show us examples of XYZ," a portfolio check, used to work well, but nowadays far too many candidates plagiarize good quality work and claim it as their own during the interview process.

So... interviews do a poor job; reference checks do a poor job. Portfolio checks are iffy.

Performance-based discrimination so-far seems to do a good job weeding out bad candidates.

Old 04-01-2019, 09:37 AM

It's been obvious for a while that job interviews are a bad joke. Choosing an engineer or scientist by grilling him/her with stupid HR type questions like where do you see yourself in 5 years, or what kind of animal you would be or forcing them to take pseudoscience psychometric tests marketed to gullible companies is a really bad way to choose employees.

The best would be do a simple interview to ensure they can comport themselves like a professional, verify qualifications, and give them a probationary period during which they can easily be fired if they don't work out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment