Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2019, 05:08 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,121,427 times

Advertisements

I found out why the CEO is paying employees half market rate. When you paying twice as much to your friend's company as a vendor, it's hard to take care of your own. Fraud.

OP posted this thread about two months ago.
//www.city-data.com/forum/work-...l#post54392205
Quote:
Originally Posted by be.010 View Post
Hi,

I work as a manager in mid-sized firm, reporting to the CEO and the owner directly. Our recently-joined CEO seems to have good plans and intentions about the company in general and I'm on good terms with him, so far.

We have been trying to provide a major solution to our customers that will affect our strategic plans. This new CEO has contacts in the business and he proposed a supplier for the new service.
However, from my experience, the prices requested by this supplier are quite overpriced in comparison to retail prices and I have easy evidence for this. I negotiated with the supplier before and they seemed deceptive and tried to deny it.
That's not the problem though. In our personal conversations the CEO is trying too hard to convince me of the supplier allegations. My advice and approval are needed to proceed so he has to. Today he even lied a couple of times to have me convinced.

Is there any other possibility other than that this is fraudulent activity? What kind of action should I do about that? I have direct contact with the owners.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2019, 05:36 PM

372 posts, read 220,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by be.010 View Post
Hi,

I work in a management position at a medium-sized company. The atmosphere is not the best to work at - in short, the owner who's also the general manager does not believe in modern or academic management techniques, does not really care about things like employee turnover, planning, policies and procedures... etc. So department managers have a lot to do to make the atmosphere more reasonable for employees.

My story: I have a good technical background in my specialty and I like to find skillful people who have such skills - I did well recently catching and hiring such people. In my department I always have one "senior" employee whom I care most of his/her well-being and satisfaction at work, I give special training and support, appreciate his/her talent and hard work, and they pay back with very good work. Except, in six months I lost two of these good employees to better opportunities - and it's very hard to find these people in my country. I also cannot offer these employees higher salaries because the offers they get is much higher, like 2X, plus they do not feel safe considering the top management mentality so it is hard to convince them. They both are good friends afterwards and they respect me personally.

The problem is that I don't see other departments having the same issue. Their work is less technical but the managers seem to make a group that seems stable. I really don't know whether it's my fault or not. I believe that in general good employees always find better opportunities. If an employee is not happy with his/her salary or company situation, then the only reason he stays is he cannot find a better opportunity for whatever reason, is that right?

I need advice and help on how to keep the next good employee!

Thanks...
Have you done any reading about management techniques? If not, it would be a good idea.

For general idea, have a look at Abraham Maslow's 'Hierarchy of Needs"; book"Motivation And Personality" it's been around for a long time. I found his ideas accurate at work and in life generally.

'Management by objectives' by Peter Drucker. Good basic management tool

As a supervisor and section manager I also found :"Transactional Analysis For mangers".Not for everyone, but I found it useful; the techniques work.

I think those books will be available at a local library, or they might be able to order them in for you.

See links below for broad ideas;

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((0))0)))))))))))) ))))))))))))))))))))
Maslow's hierarchy of needs is a theory in psychology proposed by Abraham Maslow in his 1943 paper "A Theory of Human Motivation" in Psychological Review.[2] Maslow subsequently extended the idea to include his observations of humans' innate curiosity. His theories parallel many other theories of human developmental psychology, some of which focus on describing the stages of growth in humans. He then decided to create a classification system which reflected the universal needs of society as its base and then proceeding to more acquired emotions.[3] Maslow's hierarchy of needs is used to study how humans intrinsically partake in behavioral motivation. Maslow used the terms "physiological", "safety", "belonging and love", "social needs" or "esteem", and "self-actualization" to describe the pattern through which human motivations generally move. This means that in order for motivation to occur at the next level, each level must be satisfied within the individual themselves. Furthermore, this theory is a key foundation in understanding how drive and motivation are correlated when discussing human behavior. Each of these individual levels contains a certain amount of internal sensation that must be met in order for an individual to complete their hierarchy.[3] The goal in Maslow's theory is to attain the fifth level or stage: self-actualization.[4

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maslow...archy_of_needs

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((0)) )))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Management by objectives (MBO), also known as management by results (MBR), was first popularized by Peter Drucker in his 1954 book The Practice of Management.[1] Management by objectives is the process of defining specific objectives within an organization that management can convey to organization members, then deciding on how to achieve each objective in sequence. This process allows managers to take work that needs to be done one step at a time to allow for a calm, yet productive work environment. This process also helps organization members to see their accomplishments as they achieve each objective, which reinforces a positive work environment and a sense of achievement.[2] An important part of MBO is the measurement and comparison of an employee's actual performance with the standards set. Ideally, when employees themselves have been involved with the goal-setting and choosing the course of action to be followed by them, they are more likely to fulfill their responsibilities.[3] According to George S. Odiorne[citation needed], the system of management by objectives can be described as a process whereby the superior and subordinate jointly identify common goals, define each individual's major areas of responsibility in terms of the results expected of him or her, and use these measures as guides for operating the unit and assessing the contribution of each of its members.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manage..._by_objectives

Old 04-13-2019, 06:42 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,988,690 times
Any company that can't keep their best employees do not deserve to be in business. Pay up or close down or sell to a company that DOES appreciate its best and brightest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment