Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 08:34 PM

35,133 posts, read 31,438,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Many agencies these days heavily weight the contracts in their favor, not the contract worker's favor. If there's an issue or dispute, the agency will always side with the client, not the worker.

It is common practice now that if a temp quits work for any reason, even if he gives 2 weeks notice, his contract says the agency can drop his last paycheck down to minimum wage.

I would not recommend either of the agencies you mentioned. Temp work should always be a last resort.
Absolutely.

Unless you are a highly skilled worker and can command better contracts on your own, they're no better than any generic temp service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2019, 03:40 AM

13,288 posts, read 8,492,714 times
contract most likely will have:

1: No media platforms concerning our Temp Agency. Translated: You are banned form speaking your mind in print form about them...good bad, or indifferent.
2: You go where they tell you . And sometimes its a town or two away.
3: No promoting yourself ( brown nosing the staff) to get a permanent position .
4: You must call the Temp agency if being ill or unable to make it to the job site.
5: They own you and all your information can be sold to another company.
6: Your responsible for the time cards and signatures from On premise Supervisors. ( Ohh they were on vacation that week...Too bad...guess what: No signature, No get paid!)
7: the Temp agency is contracted with the Business they send you too! They are NOT on your side during any employment dispute. They will ALWAYS side with who PAYS them!!
8: In My state I cannot collect unemployment If I am hired under a Temp agency.
9: Its really one step above Indentured slavery ...But lets pretend that THEY are doing YOU a favor ...

Old 04-24-2019, 06:33 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,462,626 times
In summary:

dropping your pants and bending over.

Old 04-24-2019, 07:50 AM

6,717 posts, read 5,963,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsanchezjr55 View Post
I have been having a hard time finding employment on my own and I am considering reaching out to an employment agency for temp work. I am just wondering what the contracts typically entail. I am aware that different employment agencies have different clauses in their contracts, but I am sure that there are some clauses that repeat among various agencies.

One of my friends got a job through an employment agency and they had him sign a contract which he blindly signed because he was desperate for a job. He showed me the contract and it was nearly a 2 inch stack of papers. I would really like to know what I am getting myself into before reaching out to an employment agency. I am hesitant to sign a bunch of papers without knowing what I am getting myself into. If anyone can shed any knowledge on the clauses that are typically in employment agency contracts I would really appreciate it. I would also like to know if anyone has used an employment agency like Ranstad or Aerotek in the past. If so how was your experience and which agency did you use and or recommend. I am from the San Fernando Valley (Los Angeles) if that helps. Thanks.
The job market is white hot right now. The biggest problem is finding job applicants who can pass a drug test (about 50% of blue collar applicants fail).

Every store in town has help wanted sign on the door. Every factory (and we're in the midst of a manufacturing boom right now) is desperate for more workers. Pretty much the only organization not hiring right now is the federal government.

If you're not able to find any kind of job, you may be doing something wrong. Before you sell your soul to an agency, go to the public library and sit down with a copy of What Color Is Your Parachute? and other books from the same shelf, and spend a couple of hours getting some ideas.

Also, look on Craigslist to get an idea of the jobs being offered in your area (though, be careful of fraud and scams). Also, Indeed, Monster, and a half dozen other online job aggregators.

Lastly I would recommend networking. It's good that you're posting here, to get advice and information. But also go to local events -- job fairs, networking events, trade shows. Go to your church coffee social every week and make it known that you're hunting. Chat with people at the gym, get creative. A great opportunity awaits you if you go out and pursue it. Good luck!

Old 04-24-2019, 08:52 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,415,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post

1: No media platforms concerning our Temp Agency. Translated: You are banned form speaking your mind in print form about them...good bad, or indifferent.
3: No promoting yourself ( brown nosing the staff) to get a permanent position .
4: You must call the Temp agency if being ill or unable to make it to the job site.
6: Your responsible for the time cards and signatures from On premise Supervisors. ( Ohh they were on vacation that week...Too bad...guess what: No signature, No get paid!)
7: the Temp agency is contracted with the Business they send you too! They are NOT on your side during any employment dispute. They will ALWAYS side with who PAYS them!!
9: Its really one step above Indentured slavery ...But lets pretend that THEY are doing YOU a favor ...
All this. It's heavily weighted in favor of the agency and client business. Not the temp. Again, many agencies I know of have stipulated in their contract that the worker's pay drops to minimum wage if they quit the assignment on their own. At least one person here implied I was lying, but I really don't have a reason to make that up. It was not only the contract, but the agency representative told me this flat out. "Don't quit or your last paycheck will be minimum wage." They don't want temps quitting because this would interfere with the client's delusion that they have total control over the temp worker's life.

Old 04-24-2019, 08:59 AM

13,261 posts, read 8,059,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post

I used to do temp work a lot, before I started working for the company I'm currently with.

Regarding your #2 statement; you don't HAVE to take the assignment, and they won't necessarily drop you, if you choose not to accept it. Also, if you've proven yourself valuable and reliable in the past, they'll cut you some slack, if you decide to quit an assignment for whatever reason.

Regarding your #3 statement; I'm not sure what this means. I always tried to put my best foot forward both with the temp agency I worked with, AND the company I was assigned to. Being a good worker showed I was reliable and capable...which often worked out to better assignments, better pay scale, and a couple of times, permanent employment.

#4; Well yeah...any company you work for wants that.

#8; In my state (Missouri) you CAN collect unemployment between assignments, and sometimes WHILE on assignment.

#9; The temp agency is giving you an opportunity to get a pay check. Why should the expectation be any higher than that? I would disagree that it's one step away from indentured servitude. When you work for a temp agency, you always have the option of saying "no thanks". But say "no thanks" often enough, and you'll go to the bottom of rotation.

Some temp agencies, if you've been working for them long enough, will give you vacation time, per how many hours you have with the temp agency. And SOME agencies offer medical insurance. It's kind of crappy, but if you've been going without...at least it's a bit of an unbrella.

Old 04-24-2019, 09:17 AM

If you try to collect unemployment from a temp agency they will play all sorts of games to scr#w you out of it. They will lie and claim you were fired for willful misconduct, offer you a terrible assignment 50 miles away and report you. You also need to contact them once a week to ask if they have work even if they yell at you not to or that can be reported as job abandonment. Overall, agencies are sleazebags try to stay away from them. They are not a source for good jobs.

Old 04-24-2019, 09:42 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,415,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
If you try to collect unemployment from a temp agency they will play all sorts of games to scr#w you out of it.
Very true. They will routinely claim every assignment ended for willful misconduct to prevent the temp from filing for benefits.

Last edited by PriscillaVanilla; 04-24-2019 at 10:22 AM..

Old 04-24-2019, 12:47 PM

13,261 posts, read 8,059,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
If you try to collect unemployment from a temp agency they will play all sorts of games to scr#w you out of it. They will lie and claim you were fired for willful misconduct, offer you a terrible assignment 50 miles away and report you. You also need to contact them once a week to ask if they have work even if they yell at you not to or that can be reported as job abandonment. Overall, agencies are sleazebags try to stay away from them. They are not a source for good jobs.

Good grief...they're not even SUPPOSED to be a source of good jobs. But it's a good way for a young person to get some work experience, and it's a good way for say a housewife to re-enter the workforce after being out of the workforce for years, and it's a good way for someone who already has a job, but wants to work a little extra here and there, for say...saving for a vacation or a new car.

Last edited by Sassybluesy; 04-24-2019 at 12:50 PM.. Reason: changed "new job" to "new car"

Old 04-24-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Good grief...they're not even SUPPOSED to be a source of good jobs. But it's a good way for a young person to get some work experience,
You make it sound like it is a good way to try something new that you don't have experience or all the qualifications for. I can tell you that generally won't happen. They will demand the same qualification as a permanent hire job would including experience or they won't work with you. They only work with people who have no reason to be working with them and considering their substandard jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment