Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2019, 06:59 AM

3,150 posts, read 1,606,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I clearly said that if it was me I would fess up to what happened. But coming from the mindset of the OP who was very afraid of being fired and the options were to make up some story about why they took the money that could easily backfire or simply saying nothing, the second option was the lesser of two evils. But neither would be my choice.

I don't think you come from a place of making moral judgements on others, if what you are suggesting the OP is best to lie about what happened. And I was curious if this is normally what you tell others to do when faced with a moral dilemma. I asked because you are so steadfast that this was the way to handle this sort of thing. I find it very odd.

And I did explain why your suggestion could easily result in the OP getting fired and why it was bad advice for a couple of reasons. As they say two wrongs do not make a right.
That's how I saw it, the lesser of two evils -- a harmless lie and returning the money. (No proof that she would be fired or say nothing; do not return the money and hope it is not discovered (No proof that she wouldn't be fired.) I highly doubt if she returned the money the next day and said she made a mistake and thought the money was hers (hardly a consequential lie) and wanted to return it, that she would be fired. On the other hand, she says nothing, does not return the money and risks she was observed, she would more likely be fired and the person who lost the money is definitely out the money whether he went back and looked for it, called in about it and was told no one turned it in, etc Do I personally advocate telling lies to get out of a jam, of course not. And what I would have done is entirely different and I have often "faced the music." But not all people are like me. Given the OP's situation and being frightened about returning the money, my suggestion was about trying to ease her fears in the hope of returning the money.

You are the one making moral judgements -- what I may teach my kids; the morality of what the OP did; the morality of my post stating to tell a lie. Please show me where I made a moral judgement. I never stated that I would not take it in the first place. It wouldn't be helpful to the OP as it is too late for that. I am simply pointing out to you that your statements are sanctimonious. I don't see how keeping money that doesn't belong to you and possibly harming the person who lost it is morally superior to telling a lie and returning the money.

OP, I can understand may not be comfortable with what I suggested so I am certainly not steadfast that you proffer that excuse (particularly at this late date). I have no experience in retail so you may you should check on the stores lost items policies.

Last edited by Maddie104; 04-30-2019 at 07:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2019, 07:33 AM

17,347 posts, read 11,297,907 times
I've worked in a big box store and this situation is similar to what's happened to me more than once. I found $60 just laying on the floor in one of the isles. It was obvious it didn't come out of a cash register but someone's purse or pocket. I turned it in. Another time I found $50 in the parking lot walking to my car which was parked a good distance from the store. I kept it.

I don't know if I was right or wrong in either case. It didn't feel right to me keeping money I found inside the store, but the money out in the parking lot not very close to the store didn't bother me.

Old 04-30-2019, 07:55 AM

6,739 posts, read 4,424,565 times
You know what the right thing to do is. But you want the money. When working there, how long does it take to make a $100, compared to how much you will lose, in the months looking for a job.

Old 04-30-2019, 08:37 AM

2,020 posts, read 1,125,824 times
Recently, during check out at a self checkout at a grocery store, I requested $200 cash back on my debit card. I was distracted when there was a problem processing the order. The cashier came by and fixed the technical issue and I left without my money. I realized it when I got home.

My husband went back to the store and spoke to the manager. The manager played the store video and noted that the customer behind me pocketed the cash. The store gave my husband $200 because he said the issue with the machine caused the distraction. High end store. High end income area.

Some people are rotten thieves who have no respect for themselves or others.

Old 04-30-2019, 09:23 AM

50,832 posts, read 36,538,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
This makes no sense.

The OP already stated her co-workers may have witnessed the incident and it may be on video. THere is also the possibility that whoever lost the money may report it. There are three possibilities. Given that, she is better getting in front of the situation. Since she is frightened of the consequences of getting fired, it's less likely to happen if she self-reports and gives an explanation. So long as the excuse is plausible, it will most likely be accepted and no harm no foul.
I would not self report. People don’t look at the videos unless there’s an incident. They only remain for about 48 hours or so. If hey saw her she’d know by now. She self reports they’re going to fire her on the spot.OP just keep quiet and do better next time.

Old 04-30-2019, 10:57 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,767,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherryblossommm View Post
I didnt say i was paid that day. I said i paid the cashier with cash.
Okay, I see.

But that doesn't justify what you did.

Old 04-30-2019, 11:58 AM

27 posts, read 18,977 times
So i asked my shift lead was our boss there because i needed pto for my call off. She was there and already done it. I texted my boss thank you and she replied no problem. So idk if shes playing it cool until she sees me or im in the clear.

Old 04-30-2019, 12:27 PM

1,970 posts, read 2,238,212 times
I have found modest amounts of $$$ twice in the past decade -- once in a underground garage hallway (not near a vehicle), once in a public area outside an airport. Both times there was nobody nearby. Both amounts were more than $50 but less than $100.

My brother found circa $20,000 in cash in an unmarked paper bag about 20 years ago when out for an early run (very early -- still dark) in a strip mall parking lot -- no cars around.

What would you do in these cases?

Old 04-30-2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherryblossommm View Post
So i asked my shift lead was our boss there because i needed pto for my call off. She was there and already done it. I texted my boss thank you and she replied no problem. So idk if shes playing it cool until she sees me or im in the clear.
You're in the clear. But ask yourself, is your reputation worth $100?

If you got fired, you would probably lose more than the $100 you pocketed.

Old 04-30-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westender View Post
I have found modest amounts of $$$ twice in the past decade -- once in a underground garage hallway (not near a vehicle), once in a public area outside an airport. Both times there was nobody nearby. Both amounts were more than $50 but less than $100.

My brother found circa $20,000 in cash in an unmarked paper bag about 20 years ago when out for an early run (very early -- still dark) in a strip mall parking lot -- no cars around.

What would you do in these cases?
First scenario, I would turn the money in to the parking garage attendant. I would probably keep the money in the public area. Who would you turn it in to? Where would the owner be likely to go to inquire about found money? It is unlikely the owner would be found.

Second scenario, I would turn the money in to the police. No doubt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment