Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 03:21 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,644,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post
So wrong, but not quite what it seems.

The company has Indian-American owners and they employ 60% minorities. They claim they were trying to diversify their work pool.
Ha ha, I knew there was more to this story than just "We want to hire white people only." The company should've written this in the job description.

It's okay to say "minorities are encouraged to apply" but not white people. It figures!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2019, 08:09 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times
Having a preference for Caucasian is just as bad has having preference for candidates of Hispanic, African, or any other descent. This is why race (or two or more races) are being removed from employment applications.

I would rather hire someone who can and will do the job instead of hiring someone over the color of his or her skin color.

Old 05-07-2019, 09:35 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,635,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
I'm curious to understand your take, OP. Is it a shame that the company did this or a shame that they're being called out for doing it.

Its a shame the company did this. I am glad they are being called out.

Now what is YOUR take?

Old 05-07-2019, 09:46 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
Its a shame the company did this. I am glad they are being called out.

Now what is YOUR take?
The same as yours. I am no fan of employers who violate Federal law.

Old 05-09-2019, 07:39 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,635,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Nope. You read that wrong. The company is a RECRUITMENT company that was recruiting for a CLIENT. Regardless of their own staff make up, they are not allowed to do racist recruiting for a client.

Apparently they are allowed.

Old 05-09-2019, 11:14 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,663,139 times
The Civil Rights Act should have applied to public agencies only. Private enterprise should always be free to engage in any sort of discrimination they want.

Now, while the rabble is outraged, lighting their torches and sharpening their pitchforks, allow me to explain...

Let's take a business owner, We'll call him Bubba. Bubba hates colored folk. Bubba is a proud KKK member. Bubba wants to put a "no n-ers allowed" sign on his front door, 'cause he just don't like dem folk! Now, when Bubba does this, everyone knows where he stands... black people aren't going to shop there, other "minorities" aren't going to shop there, other commonly-hated groups aren't going to shop there... heck, no human being is going to shop there. Bubba is going to lose his customers, then his business, and is going to go away to his trailer in the woods.

Now, let's force Bubba to take that sign down, and to paste a big fake smile on his face when people he doesn't like walk in. They shop there, and give him their business, and spend their money... on a person who hates them, and is probably going to use that money to fund the next Klan barbecue, or cross burning. How were those people well-served?

far better to let Bubba go out of business, and let someone else open a business that chooses to not discriminate. And spare me the "Oh, but what if Bubba has the only store in a hundred miles, now no black people can buy stuff without a trip?" Bull. Someone else will open a competing store, because there's money to be made by doing so. "Oh, but Bubba will just burn them out!" Fortunately, it's possible to have laws against actions which directly harm others even in the absence of laws that make us feel better.

Old 05-09-2019, 12:29 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,777,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post
So wrong, but not quite what it seems.

The company has Indian-American owners and they employ 60% minorities. They claim they were trying to diversify their work pool.
According to leftists, diversity is only good if it takes away from white people, but not good when it helps any white people in any way. "diversity" is not diversity. It is just racism against white people. Its just a codeword.

Old 05-09-2019, 02:46 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
The Civil Rights Act should have applied to public agencies only. Private enterprise should always be free to engage in any sort of discrimination they want.
Very Libertarian, which is good since no population larger than a small town has ever fallen for the shuck of that "leave me alone so I can be as big an ******* as I want" stripe of governance.

Old 05-09-2019, 03:32 PM

3,285 posts, read 2,663,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Very Libertarian, which is good since no population larger than a small town has ever fallen for the shuck of that "leave me alone so I can be as big an ******* as I want" stripe of governance.
Why are you so worried about someone else being "as big of a ***whatever*** as they want"? Why do you feel a need to be able to force people to be "as big of a ***whatever*** as you want"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment