Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 11:24 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,785,830 times

Advertisements

I worked for 2 years testing office printers in a basement along with 45 other people (Or 200 if you count the other staffing agency)

Never had any sickness issues, neither did many of the workers. From either group ()We often chatted with each other) other than my hip issues (Pre-existing) there wasn't anyone with medical/health issues other than the normal ones.

Really funny how the Copier company bought the building from a well known Oscilloscope maker and then sold it to a known medical group and then rented the bottom two floors (1st and basement) from them...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2019, 03:31 PM

497 posts, read 422,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
A poor quality office will wear on you over time.

My last office was in a building built in the 40s that was poorly maintained. Water stained carpet and visible water damage on parts of the ceiling. Occasional leaks where trash cans caught the water. If it rained hard, the toilet bowls on the lower level would back up.

The office was actually in a good location, which kept me placated for awhile, but the conditions wore on me. We eventually moved to a building that was properly configured for office space and recently remodeled, but in a worse location, and I'm much happier with the more recent arrangement.
Thank you, I do have concerns because I also was told that there is bad sewage smell. I decided not to complain when I do go back to work.

Old 05-07-2019, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TestEngr View Post
Sorry to hear of the possible assignment to the depths....

Only suggestion I have is to not say anything. I don't have exact comparison, but 30 years ago as a junior engineer I was given a closet for a major new project that contained only a large old defunct AC system which was being removed. Room had no windows, was designed to be hidden and not seen deliberately. It was a miserable place, well they took the old AC works out and I got a workbench and went on with project. We eventually patented and published much of what was done after many years work, but the catch was when the project started I said something to somebody who was going to tear out the whole floor for management uses and I was an invader to his plan. Well that guy I said something to became a big shot and remembered I was a complainer. Never mind we had great success on the project, got patents, published it. That guy at the time who was new to management felt I was a complaining idiot that stole his floor planning for his executive tear out plans. That is not good to have these aggressive management oriented people who remember when you say something.

Just stay quiet, take lots of walking breaks and/or other breaks is my advice.
I sincerely thank you for sharing your experience. Good advice you've given me and I will listen to you. I am sorry that this person remembered your comment. I hope you stay focused on your job and do it the best you can, so that you are also remembered for your work performance.

Who knows? Maybe by luck I will have the opportunity to get a better job position and it will be above ground level.

Old 05-07-2019, 04:49 PM

2,048 posts, read 2,156,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterEgo42 View Post
Did you get to keep your stapler?

Dying!

I was thinking of the office on the half-floor in Being John Malkovich, but your reference is way better.

Old 05-07-2019, 08:51 PM

21 posts, read 12,178 times
I take it that you mean your current employer is leasing an underground basement for you to work in.
Just know this, unless that basement has the required legal definitions of egress and ingress then it would be non-code compliant.

Old 05-13-2019, 03:13 PM

Hello everybody!

I am still off work due to medical reasons and today, I bumped into a neighbour, which I found out that she works in the same building. They are renovating their floor and is working in the basement until the job is done. She complained how cold it is and she work on the 1st level basement where I will be assigned to the 2nd level basement.

She was shocked to hear this because as she said, it is very cold, damp and dingy down there. Oh! I worry about having joint problems.

I will still take your advice and do not complain at work, but I am worried how this will affect my health. Even my organs is sensitive to cold and dampness, I also have breathing problems.

Old 05-14-2019, 07:20 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,286,252 times
I've worked in basement offices and had interior offices that were stories up. In both cases, it mattered little to me. Even when I had windows, I'd keep the blinds closed as I like my office dim.

That said - it's a personal preference. There are certain environments that may make it harder for some - especially if the HVAC isn't appropriate for the area. In the end, you have to make that decision on whether this is sustainable for you. You can ask to not be placed there for medical reasons. But from an office perspective - space is space. It really depends on how it's built out. If it's unfinished and your desk is next to a bunch of pipes - yea, I'd have an issue as well.

Old 05-16-2019, 08:09 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,199,941 times
Not sure what part of the country you are in, but if in the midwest, I would be concerned about radon gas and would want to know that it had been tested to determine the level and is it acceptable/safe.

Old 05-16-2019, 09:08 PM

6,816 posts, read 11,542,919 times
It could be worse, you could work deep in a cave.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SubTropolis

Although the article says it’s warehouse space, there are plenty of people working in there every day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment