Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 08:31 PM

138 posts, read 165,516 times

Advertisements

Railroading isn't for everyone, but it's pretty good money. The larger class 1 rr's are calling employees back off furlogh and are expected to resume hiring later this summer. Just keep an eye on websites(up, bnsf, csx). Even if hired and laid off shortly after training, at least you'll have an established seniority date.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 11:34 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,698,726 times
I always thought it would be cool to be a train engineer.

Old 04-25-2010, 05:20 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,541,581 times
Maybe it's blasphemous to say since I'm a trucker, but I think the U.S.A. SHOULD have a better railroad infrastructure. We should be working hard to improve our intermodal capabilities. Granted, there will always be cases where a truck (especially with team drivers) will be the better option for moving loads (Just-in-time, air freight, etc.) but it's getting harder and harder to find truck drivers willing to go from load to load and live in sleeper cabs for weeks on end. Granted, you'll still have to have the "last mile" traveled by a truck pulling the trailer or container. But it may cut down somewhat on truck traffic. I'm guessing that railroad right-of-way maintenance is cheaper than road repairs (If nothing else, it'd reduce the number of orange barrels on our roads...)

Maybe Warren Buffet is on to something with his purchase of the Burlington Northern Railroad...

Old 04-25-2010, 08:57 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,299,520 times
Reps to you Crew Chief. I am so glad to hear this!

Old 04-25-2010, 10:20 AM

Thanks, Sirron! That's probably not the official position of the American Trucking Associations, but it's a reality that trucking interests have already moved towards. Much of the Southwest-Chicago freight my company moves is via rail to the rail head. Yeah, some of our long haul trucking teams lose miles. But I think there are still plenty of ways to earn a good living behind the wheel of a truck and still have a better railroad infrastructure.

Yeah, maybe I should've gone into railroading; there sure are a lot more railroad than trucking magazines on the newsstand...

Old 04-25-2010, 10:46 AM

311 posts, read 844,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Maybe it's blasphemous to say since I'm a trucker, but I think the U.S.A. SHOULD have a better railroad infrastructure. We should be working hard to improve our intermodal capabilities. Granted, there will always be cases where a truck (especially with team drivers) will be the better option for moving loads (Just-in-time, air freight, etc.) but it's getting harder and harder to find truck drivers willing to go from load to load and live in sleeper cabs for weeks on end. Granted, you'll still have to have the "last mile" traveled by a truck pulling the trailer or container. But it may cut down somewhat on truck traffic. I'm guessing that railroad right-of-way maintenance is cheaper than road repairs (If nothing else, it'd reduce the number of orange barrels on our roads...)

Maybe Warren Buffet is on to something with his purchase of the Burlington Northern Railroad...
Yeah I agree, my future step-father was a trucker and even he is wanting to go towards the rail...but I am really interested in the future of freight transport....in Europe their system is so efficient do they even use trucks for long distance travel?? Trains seem to be the future but our rails need vast repair...with the amount of accidents that have occurred due to old rail systems it's time for a complete rehaul(AKA construction jobs hopefully) but it's one thing to look forward to in this awful recession

Old 04-25-2010, 02:20 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
The use of railroad to move freight is only goign to grow as fuel cost continue to rise and infrastructure of the highways gets more and more expensive to maintain. Its alos will be hrtu bu more roads paid for by useage fees and even more toll roads. I think railroads future is in carying freight not passengers.They are very efficent at doing that especailly as feight cost rise.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:24 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,200,528 times
Too bad so many RR tracks ( right of ways) got abandoned , the ties and tracks removed, and the ownership of the land turned over to county/state bike trails.

In rural Minnesota you see more converted bike trails than actual RR tracks.

Old 04-26-2010, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaBison2007 View Post
Yeah I agree, my future step-father was a trucker and even he is wanting to go towards the rail...but I am really interested in the future of freight transport....in Europe their system is so efficient do they even use trucks for long distance travel?? Trains seem to be the future but our rails need vast repair...with the amount of accidents that have occurred due to old rail systems it's time for a complete rehaul(AKA construction jobs hopefully) but it's one thing to look forward to in this awful recession
GABison2007, Europe has an excellent intermodal infrastructure. And, yes, they use trucks for long haul trips. They even carry slightly more weight than our largest trucks do (more axles and different spacing) The big difference is that Europe is a lot smaller than the U.S. is; you can get into a car in Holland and be deep into Italy on the second day of driving.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:01 AM

132 posts, read 430,297 times
Does this include NS?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment