Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 10:41 AM

66 posts, read 64,091 times

Advertisements

So, I applied to a good company for a level 2 position two months ago and had an on-site interview a month and a half ago. I thought it went well, but never received any feedback. In the meantime, a week ago, I applied for a level 3 position within the same company for which I am even more well suited.

Out of the blue, yesterday a recruiter from that company called and offered me the original position I applied for. We discussed the salary, which he said the top of the level is just slightly higher than I'm making now. After we talked about the salary though, I mentioned that I had applied for the higher position recently and was curious if it was with the same group. He confirmed that it was. I asked him if it would be out of line for him to ask the manager who I interviewed for if they would consider me for the higher position. I said I didn't necessarily expect the answer to be yes, and I was definitely interested in joining their organization, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.

We spoke last night, and the recruiter said that he is out of the office today. He said he would speak to the manager on Monday.

Here's the question. Was I out of line? Did I just doom my chances of ever seeing that offer? Or was this perfectly fine?

I have no idea. Please give me your opinions as recruiters.

Moderator note: Second thread merged with this one, starting at post #12.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 05-13-2019 at 06:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2019, 11:00 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,375,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicahgoChicahgo View Post
So, I applied to a good company for a level 2 position two months ago and had an on-site interview a month and a half ago. I thought it went well, but never received any feedback. In the meantime, a week ago, I applied for a level 3 position within the same company for which I am even more well suited.

Out of the blue, yesterday a recruiter from that company called and offered me the original position I applied for. We discussed the salary, which he said the top of the level is just slightly higher than I'm making now. After we talked about the salary though, I mentioned that I had applied for the higher position recently and was curious if it was with the same group. He confirmed that it was. I asked him if it would be out of line for him to ask the manager who I interviewed for if they would consider me for the higher position. I said I didn't necessarily expect the answer to be yes, and I was definitely interested in joining their organization, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.

We spoke last night, and the recruiter said that he is out of the office today. He said he would speak to the manager on Monday.

Here's the question. Was I out of line? Did I just doom my chances of ever seeing that offer? Or was this perfectly fine?

I have no idea. Please give me your opinions as recruiters.
I don't know how many recruiters are on here, but as a hiring manager I don't believe you did anything wrong at all. In fact, I think you handled that very well.

The question you have to ask yourself is, do you want to find out what happens with the Level 3 position even if you miss out on the Level 2 position with this company? Because it could take months for them to decided who to hire on the Level 3 position, and they aren't going to hold the Level 2 position for you.

Please let us know how it goes and what the hiring manager's feedback is. Best of luck!

Old 05-10-2019, 11:18 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,664,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicahgoChicahgo View Post
We discussed the salary, which he said the top of the level is just slightly higher than I'm making now.
How and why does the recruiter know what you're making now?

Old 05-10-2019, 11:24 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,544,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
I took this to mean the OP is just telling us the salary they discussed is a bit more than he makes now. Not that the recruiter was told this or knows this.

To the OP. I think you handled it well and didn't hurt your chances. You may be faced with a decision of taking the job now or waiting on the higher position and having to turn this one down with no guarantees for the higher position.

Let us know how it goes.

Old 05-10-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
He doesn't. He told me the highest he could go. I didn't tell him what I'm making.

Old 05-10-2019, 03:42 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,390,475 times
I was often told to show ambition during an interview and/or ask about room for advancement in the company.

Old 05-12-2019, 11:46 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,375,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I was often told to show ambition during an interview and/or ask about room for advancement in the company.
It's a good thing to do, but don't take the response seriously. Everyone projects an expectation their organization will be growing, increasing sales, getting new profitable patents, etc. And as a result, they will be promoting people, but you have to take those comments lightly. None will tell you the truth that they are just hanging on for another year or two when they sell off the division and lay people off.

Old 05-13-2019, 12:02 PM

Starting to think I screwed myself. Radio silence from the employer. I will call later today, but I don't want to sound desperate now.

Old 05-13-2019, 12:27 PM

29,522 posts, read 22,674,035 times
Don't call back (I'm sure you probably will be though). Recruiter will talk to manager today. Let them handle it.

I would have just accepted the offer, you just never know these days what managers are like. Regardless the pros and cons of what the OP did, everyone is different.

I'm sure things will work out fine, but just my personal opinion.

Old 05-13-2019, 02:36 PM

So, the employer did email me this afternoon and we later spoke on the phone. Their response was that they were only offering me the lower position and that I would not receive any preferential treatment when it came time for evaluations and promotions. This sucks because I know if the higher position had been listed first, I would have applied to that one and I guarantee you that I would have at least been interviewed and very likely offered that position. I applied to the lower position because it does fit my background, though I have significantly more experience than they're asking for. I applied because I'm currently dealing with the most insane micro-managing nut of a manager I've ever had, and it's absolutely killed my morale with my current employer. I need to get out of here and I should be happy that I got this offer (for only $2K more than I'm currently making.) But it's going to kill me if I take this job and then see someone with much less experience get the higher position that I wanted.

I asked when they would want me to start. The response is that I would need to go through a background check which per the recruiter they're averaging 4-5 weeks to complete. Add in my two weeks notice and I wouldn't be starting the new job for two months. Is this normal now???

I don't know what to do. As I said, I should be happy....but I feel like I'm getting low-balled and my experience is being discounted. Yes, I know I applied for this job, and I shouldn't have applied if I didn't plan on taking the job if offered. If it weren't for my horrible current boss, I would turn it down and ask them to keep me in mind for the higher position.

Am I being unreasonable? Please feel free to knock some sense into me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment