Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2019, 06:20 PM

1,261 posts, read 839,140 times

Advertisements

I apply online. Usually 2 phone interviews (one phone screen with HR, then one technical with the hiring manager) then a final round in person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2019, 08:48 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,786,997 times
I often see the same states that are trying to hire people from other states because they lack the talent and depths of human resource in those states. Getting a job in another state is not hard, the problem is I refuse to get paid much less in other states than my home state. Why should I perform high level work in a low cost state while the difficulty and experience required is the same. Expenses in others states maybe lower than my state but it is not 50% lower so I do not want a 50% reduction in wage. A lot of employers tend to think by relocating to a cheaper state it should translate to a 50% reduction in wages.

Old 05-27-2019, 09:45 PM

884 posts, read 1,174,535 times
I've done it 3x

First move was my "fresh out of college" job and the company I interned with hired me on full time across the country.
Second move was with the same company, I transferred my job. This is definitely the easiest way to go about it.
Third move, I had to find a job on my own. What I did to help me was put on my resume that I was relocating to the area at a specific time (like "relocating to XXXX in July 2019") and I added it into my cover letter as well that I was planning to move. The key is to convince employers you plan to move to the area on your own, so they think you are less of a risk. If you have a personal connection to the area and they ask why you want to go there, you can bring that up too. That way you're less likely to bail on them and return to where you came from--you have a reason to be there beyond whatever job you are interviewing for.

Another thing I did was sign up for their job worker commission thing...like in Texas, where I lived before, it was the Texas Workforce Commission and I filled out a profile and they would send me job matches. I did that for the state I wanted to move to and that's actually how I ended up with the job that allowed me to move here. They listed the job on my new state's workforce job board and hired me on despite being out of state. I recommend you do that too.

Old 05-27-2019, 10:24 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,245,687 times
Employers discriminate against out of state candidates.

So first, move to the state you want to move to.

Then put that new address on your resume.

Then apply for jobs in that state.

Doesn't matter if you don't have money.
Doesn't matter if landlords don't want to rent to you without paying several months's rent in advance.
Doesn't matter if this will cause you great hardship.

Employers are just ridiculous like that.

Old 05-29-2019, 01:02 AM

1 posts, read 390 times
If you want to get a job out of the state, share your resume in the online job sites. The best online job sites are indeed and Naukri.com etc. LinkedIn and Naukri.com are also the best platforms where you can find multiple jobs. jobMinr is the online job portal site that will help you to find a job in any state in Australia.

Old 05-29-2019, 10:20 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,421,898 times
Do you even need to put an address on your resume? Why not just leave it off and put town/city & state of where you're wanting to move to? (Ie. New York, NY // Boston, MA)

I am seeing less & less resumes with addresses on them these days, especially from the young millennial types.

Old 05-29-2019, 10:35 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,087,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
Employers discriminate against out of state candidates.

So first, move to the state you want to move to.

Then put that new address on your resume.

Then apply for jobs in that state.

Doesn't matter if you don't have money.
Doesn't matter if landlords don't want to rent to you without paying several months's rent in advance.
Doesn't matter if this will cause you great hardship.

Employers are just ridiculous like that.
Why is that ridiculous? Out of state applicants are more difficult than in-state for a number of reasons.

The candidates need for money, or housing, or anything else isn’t my problem as an employer.

Old 05-29-2019, 10:54 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,469,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Do you even need to put an address on your resume? Why not just leave it off and put town/city & state of where you're wanting to move to? (Ie. New York, NY // Boston, MA)

I am seeing less & less resumes with addresses on them these days, especially from the young millennial types.
Or fake the address.

Old 05-29-2019, 11:38 AM

34,151 posts, read 83,198,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I am seeing less & less resumes with addresses on them these days,
especially from the young millennial types.
Where would this be?

Quote:
Do you even need to put an address on your resume?
In a word... yes.

Old 05-29-2019, 03:32 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,421,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Where would this be?

In a word... yes.
Why does a resume need an address?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment