Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 11:57 AM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,860,522 times

Advertisements

The time it happened to me, I told a manager. I don't have time for people who can't control their emotions or think they can use anger to motivate. I never let it get to me. Tell the manager you don't have a real problem but wanted them to be aware of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2019, 12:01 PM

618 posts, read 939,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
The time it happened to me, I told a manager. I don't have time for people who can't control their emotions or think they can use anger to motivate. I never let it get to me. Tell the manager you don't have a real problem but wanted them to be aware of it.
Has there been a time when you told and it is was received poorly?

Old 05-23-2019, 01:46 PM

7,992 posts, read 5,389,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobseeker2013 View Post
...called me lazy.
I will agree she is unprofessional. She should have handled her emotions much better.
How much of what she said is true?

Old 05-23-2019, 02:04 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,666,367 times
Frankly, I would have told her she was out of bounds by speaking to me in that manner. Afterwards, I would let the manger know that I HAD hopefully resolved the issue, but wanted to bring it to his/her attention.

Old 05-23-2019, 02:13 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobseeker2013 View Post
I will avoid the specifics but in the meeting my co-worker was very condescending and called me lazy. I stayed calm tried to get my points across but she was very argumentative and didnt listen to me. She was very unprofessional. Anyway I am thinking of going to my boss and explaining what happened calmly and asking for advice. I will say i still like my coworker, want to work with her, but I am confused by the criticism. Does she have advise. Is this a smart strategy? Boss will ask what had I done to address the issue with worker and I will say I tried to talk to her for an hour and she was combative.

I am afraid I will look as a complainer
Does this happen a lot or was this a single occurrence? If it was a single or extremely rare occurrence it would be best to wait until both of you calm down, sit down in private and discuss what happened. It could have happened due to a stressful assignment, personal life interfering with work, etc. Its possible for anyone to lose it if the circumstances are right. Trying to have a discussion at the time is pointless...no one is going to listen. Both of you are emotionally charged up.

However, if this happens between you a lot, its time to request a meeting with your supervisor (do they supervise both of you??) and discuss how to deal with this person in general. Chances are both of you contributed a little to what happened.

Old 05-23-2019, 02:59 PM

45 posts, read 29,724 times
Hate to be Captain Obvious here but are you lazy?
If so, then you have no right to take offense at her accurate observation of you.
Actually HEAR her words

She may have called attention to your flaws so don't go further calling more attention to yourself
Unless you want to be fired
Pull your own weight at work

Then no one will become frustrated with you calling you "lazy"

Old 05-23-2019, 04:06 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,967,503 times
"Is this a smart strategy?"
three things:

1. if this the very first time, no. not smart. everyone has at least one bad day.
2. if this is the second time in several (4+) years, no. her meds may have changed.
3. if this is the third time (or more) then, yes.

bottom line: document each time.
even the first time. diaries are admissible in court.

Old 05-23-2019, 04:08 PM

64 posts, read 44,700 times
If it was just you and her in a meeting, I think you should talk to her about it directly. But if you tried that and it did not work, then a conversation with your supervisor would be in order.

If it happened in a meeting with several people present, then a conversation with your supervisor is definitely in order.

As others have mentioned, this is a professional work environment, not a schoolyard.

Old 05-23-2019, 05:29 PM

497 posts, read 422,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Thank you for sharing your experience and I love how you handled it that I am taking note of this. Can you update how management dealt with it? I guess it all depends on company policy also?

Old 05-23-2019, 05:56 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,860,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torontobase View Post
Thank you for sharing your experience and I love how you handled it that I am taking note of this. Can you update how management dealt with it? I guess it all depends on company policy also?
They took her aside and asked her what happened and why. Pretty much told her that was bad and that's it.

What i did was ignore her for 2 months then I went in and apologized for making her blow up (and I didn't really even know why she did). It worked because we talked it out and we're good now. The best part is, the bosses knew I did that and were really thrilled that I was the bigger person and apologized for something that wasn't my fault (maybe 10% it was tho?). So I am glad it happened in a way because it let me show them I'm a big boy.

Now that I'm in management I can say 100% we just want people to get along and know that people get weird and jealous at work sometimes. We all do or say things out of stress sometimes that we don't really mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment