Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2019, 12:32 PM

914 posts, read 642,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOrdinaryCitizen View Post
Exactly. I've learned that I have to pretend not to be so knowledgeable about my job. I've learned that I need to buy treats to bring in to share with my co-workers and the management. I've learned that when I see people group together and talk about non-work related, their sickness, or millions of their personal problems, and see people "try" to console each other for half an hour, 45 minutes or more, several times a day, I need to stop working, to join in and smile or weep or pat their shoulders to make them feel better. Your work is not so important. Making your co-workers and your managers to feel good is much more important. That's how you can keep your job. LOL. HORRIBLE.
I do the same things! I used to sincerely care, but feeling under appreciated and passed over for amazing opportunities, it has turned into a game, for forty hours. For forty hours a week, I fake it. It is part of what I get paid to do. As someone stated, when it Rome... It's what they want and they buy it.

But I'm not a slacker. I need intellectual stimulation so I now have a "side hustle" where I get a sense of worth and get to keep my skills up. We humans are adaptable and the only reason I keep that job is for the benefits.

This is so wrong, but it beats the alternatives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2019, 01:40 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
Employers don't want skills.

They want EXPERIENCE.

No experience, no job.

So who cares you went to school, learned the skills necessary to do the job, you're not getting the job unless some other employer gave you a job.

In other words, employers are entitled, they expect OTHER EMPLOYERS to train and develop the people they hire.
The modern young worker, is the reason companies have changed from training and growing workers, to only hiring people that are trained and experienced. Cost to train a worker, when all expenses and lost production are added up, to train someone who leaves the job as soon as they are trained as young people do today, would be stupid.

So the businesses today quit training, or they would end up broke and out of business

Old 06-14-2019, 06:56 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,081,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
The modern young worker, is the reason companies have changed from training and growing workers, to only hiring people that are trained and experienced. Cost to train a worker, when all expenses and lost production are added up, to train someone who leaves the job as soon as they are trained as young people do today, would be stupid.

So the businesses today quit training, or they would end up broke and out of business
LOL you keep trying this argument.

People in general, regardless of age, are going to leave if they can get paid more down the road or get better benefits - it's common sense. If companies want people to stick around, it's on them to stay competitive. It's no different than job candidates or current employees being expected to stay competitive.

Old 06-14-2019, 07:44 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,917,270 times
Nearly 100% of people will claim they are better than most in terms of their skills. 50% of those people are wrong.

It's not that skillsets are being devalued. It's that a lot of people don't realize how 'good' you are in a skill is a measure relative to everyone else in the market. Many people are simply not as good at something as they think.

Old 06-14-2019, 11:06 AM

2,026 posts, read 2,776,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Nearly 100% of people will claim they are better than most in terms of their skills. 50% of those people are wrong.
And the other 50% are right. Right?

Quote:
It's not that skillsets are being devalued. It's that a lot of people don't realize how 'good' you are in a skill is a measure relative to everyone else in the market. Many people are simply not as good at something as they think.
Lot of people, especially all managers I worked with told me how good I was, even compared to other people they have ever met.

Old 06-14-2019, 11:24 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,540,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
Lot of people, especially all managers I worked with told me how good I was, even compared to other people they have ever met.
Like how people say they are good at basketball in high school but they aren't going to make the NBA...

You might be good there but you are competing against the same good people when you move up. Competition means it thins people out because everyone is good, then better, then best

Old 06-14-2019, 11:29 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,760,486 times
Just as a general observation, we get our share of posters who whine at great length about how mean their bosses are or how unreasonable it was to be demoted for showing up late half the time or whatever. Many make it plain that they are the kind of adolescent PITAs you don't want as an employee or a co-worker. Some never get it, despite repeated posts and long patient advice here.

But I don't see a one of this type in the long, long discussions about age discrimination and professional workplace troubles and job-finding obstacles. Most who have problems are detailed and articulate and specific about the troubles they're encountering, and not just whining that nobody likes them or life's just not fair.

And I'm starting to get a little weary of the smug brigade that dismisses those posters on exactly those grounds. Being imperviously smug and self-satisfied is a pretty juvenile mindset, too.

Old 06-14-2019, 11:37 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,662,521 times
Quote:

1000X this.

Old 06-14-2019, 11:48 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,662,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Just as a general observation, we get our share of posters who whine at great length about how mean their bosses are or how unreasonable it was to be demoted for showing up late half the time or whatever. Many make it plain that they are the kind of adolescent PITAs you don't want as an employee or a co-worker. Some never get it, despite repeated posts and long patient advice here.

But I don't see a one of this type in the long, long discussions about age discrimination and professional workplace troubles and job-finding obstacles. Most who have problems are detailed and articulate and specific about the troubles they're encountering, and not just whining that nobody likes them or life's just not fair.
Having a detailed, articulate complaint doesn't make you right.

This thread is just one more predicated upon the idea that employers are, oddly enough, not out to make money... they exist only to screw people. The only possible rationale for a given behavior is to grind the little guy down. We never hear why, or how they stay in business, or where their latest products come from... they employ nephews and buddies, and play golf all day, and treat their employees horribly and somehow get rich by doing so.

The premise has been thoroughly debunked over and over, but some people just cannot hear that they aren't as good as they think they are.

Quote:
And I'm starting to get a little weary of the smug brigade that dismisses those posters on exactly those grounds. Being imperviously smug and self-satisfied is a pretty juvenile mindset, too.
It isn't "smug" to recognize reality. I'm good at my job. I provide real value to my employer. As proof, I submit my compensation and the fact that recruiters are constantly reaching out to me. I just heard back from someone who was trying to snag me at the time I was talking to my now-employer, and even though they really stepped up to the plate with comp, I went with what was effectively my dream job and told them thanks but no thanks. They tried to get me again. I'm in demand, and not because I'm buddies or family with the boss... it's because I make money for the company, so they're quite happy to pay and train me. I flt across the country a good half-dozen times per year solely for training or other enablement. Each one of those trips costs them approximately $5000, not counting my labor. Why is that, if "employers have devalued skills"?

Plain and simple, it doesn't matter how good you are at something if a million other people are just as good. That skill simply is not in demand, and there is no incentive to pay that person or retain them or try to lift them up... they're easily replaceable. I've said over and over and over again, that if you want to be treated as better than an easily-replaced cog, you have to be better than an easily-replaced cog.

Old 06-14-2019, 12:30 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,760,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
Having a detailed, articulate complaint doesn't make you right.
No, but it warrants more than snotty dismissal as a whiner.

Quote:
This thread is just one more predicated upon the idea that employers are, oddly enough, not out to make money...
Your ability to read for comprehension is not evidenced there. Quite a few of the whiners note that the obstacles they're hitting clearly are for "making [more] money" - whether in any sensible or reasonable way being irrelevant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment