Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 01:08 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty but odd View Post
I did not give the receptionist the salary of the accountant. It was passed along in general conversation. The accountant told someone who told someone else, etc.

The receptionist does not think just having a piece of paper (A MA Degree and a CPA) should mean that they make three times more than her. I told her that in 15-20 years when the Accountant moves into management she will make 5-6 times the pay of a receptionist. She got even angrier.

What is a fair wage difference between our 27-year-old Receptionist and our 27-year-old Accountant?
A fair wage? What ever the person is worth.

The receptionist has every right to go back to school and get a Masters in Accounting and become a CPA. If I remember correctly, to become a CPA means working 2,000 hours of time for a CPA firm or another CPA, after completing the education requirements. Each state may be different. I only remember the California requirements. During that 2,000 hours specific aspects of accounting need to be covered.

I don't think becoming a receptionist has any of those requirements. Someone with a High School diploma can do it.

But she is welcome to go back to school and get the credentials.

It does amaze me when someone that puts the work in is thought of as equal to someone that does not want to work for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2019, 01:18 PM

10,761 posts, read 5,676,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
A fair wage? What ever the person is worth.

The receptionist has every right to go back to school and get a Masters in Accounting and become a CPA. If I remember correctly, to become a CPA means working 2,000 hours of time for a CPA firm or another CPA, after completing the education requirements. Each state may be different. I only remember the California requirements. During that 2,000 hours specific aspects of accounting need to be covered.

I don't think becoming a receptionist has any of those requirements. Someone with a High School diploma can do it.

But she is welcome to go back to school and get the credentials.

It does amaze me when someone that puts the work in is thought of as equal to someone that does not want to work for it.

How about, "Whatever the job is worth."

A CPA cooking burgers at McDonald's shouldn't be paid a CPA salary.

Old 06-18-2019, 06:41 PM

3,285 posts, read 2,663,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qtbrye View Post
Maybe he meant that poor people can't afford to take time off of working to get an education, i.e. they're working two jobs. Not that it's impossible to work multiple jobs and go to night school at the same time, but I'd imagine that most can't do it.

I did. I was making $7 an hour from 3PM to 11PM, and got student loans to go to school during the day while supporting a girlfriend and her son.

If someone wants to do it, they can do it. If they want to complain about how hard it is and how unfair life is, they can do that... and fail.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:29 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,587,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torontobase View Post
Lots of people can't afford education when their income is so low.
Not everyone needs a college education, but really, if someone is poor, s/he can apply for grants.

It's the lower middle class who have trouble affording college. Not poor enough for grants, not enough money to pay for it. That gets into student loans, but we all know the horror stories about what's happening with student loans.

Some states pay for the first couple of years, if a student goes to college right after high school. Even redneck Louisiana does that. It will pay for I think two years? Including books and dorm.

Starbucks will pay for an employee to get an online degree, I think. (no, not that fly by night; you take courses from a real bricks & mortar college, but do the online courses.)

Some companies will reimburse some college costs. Like UPS, Wells Fargo, Comcast. https://www.estudentloan.com/blog/10...lp-pay-college

Old 06-19-2019, 07:07 AM

346 posts, read 551,021 times
Here's my post that you responded to, with the bolded part basically already agreeing with you:

"Maybe he meant that poor people can't afford to take time off of working to get an education, i.e. they're working two jobs. Not that it's impossible to work multiple jobs and go to night school at the same time, but I'd imagine that most can't do it."

While it's great that you were able to make it work, consider a single parent that has to work the day shift, then a second job elsewhere, just to make rent. I wouldn't say that someone like that is a complainer if they can't find it in themselves to go to take classes on the side with that kind of schedule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
I did. I was making $7 an hour from 3PM to 11PM, and got student loans to go to school during the day while supporting a girlfriend and her son.

If someone wants to do it, they can do it. If they want to complain about how hard it is and how unfair life is, they can do that... and fail.

Old 06-19-2019, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtbrye View Post
Here's my post that you responded to, with the bolded part basically already agreeing with you:

"Maybe he meant that poor people can't afford to take time off of working to get an education, i.e. they're working two jobs. Not that it's impossible to work multiple jobs and go to night school at the same time, but I'd imagine that most can't do it."

While it's great that you were able to make it work, consider a single parent that has to work the day shift, then a second job elsewhere, just to make rent. I wouldn't say that someone like that is a complainer if they can't find it in themselves to go to take classes on the side with that kind of schedule.
Not taking classes wouldn’t make them a complainer. Complaining about their life situation would.

Old 06-19-2019, 08:56 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
How about, "Whatever the job is worth."

A CPA cooking burgers at McDonald's shouldn't be paid a CPA salary.
You know many CPS's that are cooking burgers at McDonalds?

You are correct, a person's position should dictate the pay. A persons background would get them the position though. Some people that have jobs are paid more than others. Two people that have the same exact job will not always be paid the same amount. They are more than likely within the same range though. The higher paid person might have a more detailed and experienced background.

Old 06-19-2019, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
You know many CPS's that are cooking burgers at McDonalds?
No, that was just a little hyperbole, consistent with the context of the thread, to help make the point.

However, I know a fair number of recent college graduates working fast food jobs who complain that they are making the same as the high school kids working for the summer.

"Don't they know that I have a college degree?!?!?" (In medieval languages. . . )

Old 06-19-2019, 10:43 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,423,158 times
Why are college graduates working at a fast food in the first place, did the get a worthless degree instead of what the economy is looking for. There is a shortage of skilled tradesmen and CDL truck drivers.

Old 06-19-2019, 10:50 AM

25,578 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Why are college graduates working at a fast food in the first place, did the get a worthless degree instead of what the economy is looking for. There is a shortage of skilled tradesmen and CDL truck drivers.
When our suppliers all went out of business I was 60. Needed to buy insurance and work.
So I got a CDL. I paid 4,000 for 10 weeks training, worked with another driver for a month or so, and was assigned a truck.
I drove for 5 years. 750,000 miles and averaged 40 cents/mile. That's $300,000.
I retired in 2010, right on schedule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment