Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 05:11 PM

674 posts, read 608,018 times

Advertisements

OP - if you want to work in a US embassy or consulate, you will need to pass an exam and join the Foreign Service.

Forget about the UN, you won't get in unless you have inside connections. Or do what I did, volunteer for an extremely undesirable position abroad (it was so bad that 2 of my predecessors died on the job - not many takers after that...). I was with the UN for 5 years, in Africa and Europe. I would not do it now, the world has grown much more dangerous. Especially if you have 5 kids in tow.

NGOs: while at the UN, I worked with a lot of NGOs; I called them the "xSF", e.g., Medecins Sans Frontieres, Pharmaciens Sans Frontieres, Veterinaires Sans Frontieres, etc. You may be able to find a job with those, but it won't pay a whole lot. Most of those NGOs have a very small cadre of permanent managers, and rely on "volunteers" to staff their programs. I put volunteers in quotes because those folks are usually MDs, pharmacists, vets, etc, who take off from their regular job for a few months to work with NGOs. They are provided room and board and they are paid, but the pay is quasi-symbolic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2019, 05:16 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,787,820 times
Well, you will need to answer the five kids equation no matter what anyone suggests or what you pick. "Work/life balance"? . What was your motivation/hope for studying law and why didn't it last?

Old 06-15-2019, 05:28 PM

28 posts, read 11,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Well, you will need to answer the five kids equation no matter what anyone suggests or what you pick. "Work/life balance"? . What was your motivation/hope for studying law and why didn't it last?
My primary motivation for law school was he free ride i got as well as utilizing my useless degree in linguistics ( major in english and french, minor in advertiisng). Hoping to stay in middle class,with perhaps a government position when i could no longer do modeling Something with good benefits and work life balance. I’ve always been passionate about justice, even as a little kid.besides, my granddad had a law degree, just like me he was an intellectual introvert but he worked for a state security department. I wanted to prove something to my family that i am not a totally useless human being uncapable of achieving. My greatest concern im Not entrepreneural and i dont have courage to leave my comfort zone.

Old 06-15-2019, 05:37 PM

What worries me the most is that i dont possess that “buy low-sell high”, “ be in the right place at the right time” hustler mentality which is crucial in todays cutthroat career world. It would be ok if it was just me but i feel responsibility for my children. I cant really continue being a stay at home mom since we live in a very high cost of living area.

Old 06-15-2019, 06:14 PM

15,629 posts, read 10,383,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laplandgirl View Post
Hello. I’ ve just got a useless law degree. Thankfully got free ride. I dont plan to sit for the bar exam because i realized i dont want to be an attorney or practice law even if you paid me one million. My undergrad was major in english and french, minor in advertising. 10 years of fashion modeling under my belt, but obviously not a superstar, although i love fashion and apparel industries. I thought of acting but i have an accent. I play some decent piano but not a virtuoso. I Was thinking about moving overseas and working somewhere in a us embassy or consulate, perhaps as a fraud investigator or maybe a womens rights advisor in UN or the like. I speak four languages and pick them up fast ( i guess my lingustics background helps). Please advise on a career path. I have dual citizenship and in my early 30s. Five kids ( i love children). My problem is i am not entrepreneural. How do i develop this trait?
You have five kids? do you have a husband and your kids have a father?

I have no career advice other than to consider your five children.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 06-15-2019 at 06:30 PM..

Old 06-15-2019, 06:27 PM

Why is everyone acting as if i said i have 5 heads, yes i have a husband. Because of his job we cant move anywhere. Its a very high cost of living locale. Besides, after kids grow up and dont need me anymore i dont want to have a middle life crisis , i want something for myself, something that is my own thta would keep me balanced in older age.

Old 06-15-2019, 06:54 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,041,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laplandgirl View Post
Why is everyone acting as if i said i have 5 heads, yes i have a husband. Because of his job we cant move anywhere. Its a very high cost of living locale. Besides, after kids grow up and dont need me anymore i dont want to have a middle life crisis , i want something for myself, something that is my own thta would keep me balanced in older age.
Sorry, it is simply the way many people on this forum work. They look for ways in which to judge and condemn others for making decisions they do not consider to be absolutely correct and optimal for career success.

Ignore the jabs about your family, and the snide comments about your choices.

Your law degree will be viewed positively for many jobs that require lots of paperwork and responsibility. What do you want to do?

Old 06-15-2019, 07:50 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,196,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nccoast View Post
OP - if you want to work in a US embassy or consulate, you will need to pass an exam and join the Foreign Service.
Taking the FSO exam is just the first step, not to mention that it only has a pass rate of about 20% (far lower than any bar exam!) for who moves on to the next step. If you do pass, then you have to submit a resume and a bunch of personal narratives, which have to pass review. If you do pass that phase, then you get invited to an oral assessment which is a full day of observation while undergoing various interviews and group exercises, and where once again 80% or more get weeded out. If you pass that, then you have to get a medical and security clearances, and your file goes though additional review, where you could still be weeded out again. But if you pass all of that, then you get put on a list and wait to see if the State Dept is actually hiring and you get offered a spot in an upcoming training class.

And of course, if you do get offered a position in a training class, you have to agree to be posted anywhere worldwide they want to send you - there is a process where you may get to express a preference but bottom line is you go where they want you to go, not where you have an interest in going. Plus postings are generally 1 to 3 years long and you get sent off once again to wherever it is you are needed, which may have no connection to the places you prefer to be.

I went through this process a couple of times - the first time, my application expired before they filled positions where I would have been eligible. The second time, I actually got offered a spot, but in the time from when I took the FSOT and went through the assessment to when I got offered a position (about 18 months or so), things in my personal life had changed and i could no longer make the commitment to be posted anywhere in the world, especially knowing that I'd be moving every couple of years.

I honestly could not imagine uprooting 5 kids every couple of years, or agreeing to live anywhere in the world with presumably young kids, in conditions that might not be ones you'd want to raise your family in.

Old 06-15-2019, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Sorry, it is simply the way many people on this forum work. They look for ways in which to judge and condemn others for making decisions they do not consider to be absolutely correct and optimal for career success.

Ignore the jabs about your family, and the snide comments about your choices.

Your law degree will be viewed positively for many jobs that require lots of paperwork and responsibility. What do you want to do?

i wish i had an answer to that million dollar question.Thank you for your support by the way. I was the only child.

There is a difference between what we want and what pays the bills.

Honestly i want to travel and explore new countries and places, but alas its not possible at the moment.

I loved modeling especially runway work but because of breastfeeding i can not lose weight soon enough to be able to fit into sample sizes and get back to work. Plus with age its getting harder and harder to snap back into my fighting weight after each subsequent pregnancy.

You may laugh but I worked in a law firm for one day only to never come back. Thats how much i hated paperwork and boring research.

Also, I love playing piano but my skills are not at the advanced professional level although i can play about any tune or classical piece after a bit of practice, i can also read music ( 8 years of piano schooling). I practice daily on my baby grand but it may take some time to regain advanced level piano skills.

Old 06-15-2019, 08:57 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,224,566 times
Take the Myers-Briggs test.

Plenty of free ones online.

Then google "jobs for ISTJ's" or whatever your Myers-Briggs personality type is.

You'll find so many jobs you could be interested in...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment