Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2019, 01:22 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,748,538 times

Advertisements

I hope you're starting with the position descriptions. And only applying for jobs you qualify for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2019, 02:01 PM

1,110 posts, read 896,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Where do you find these contractor positions? Do they still get full benefits?.
Contractor positions are often better paying than the public sector, but the benefits are generally poor to mediocre in comparison, such as no sick leave or at most a week sick leave, two weeks vacation, skimpy health plan, and a 401K. If you work for a topnotch contractor, the benefits are better. I always worked for scummy contractors, because they are the easiest to hire on with. The better contractors are also "political," in that you need to know people to get hired with them.

Here are some contract jobs in Arizona:

https://www.indeed.com/q-Temporary-C...zona-jobs.html

Old 10-06-2019, 02:44 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,116,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm0484 View Post
Contractor positions are often better paying than the public sector, but the benefits are generally poor to mediocre in comparison, such as no sick leave or at most a week sick leave, two weeks vacation, skimpy health plan, and a 401K. If you work for a topnotch contractor, the benefits are better. I always worked for scummy contractors, because they are the easiest to hire on with. The better contractors are also "political," in that you need to know people to get hired with them.

Here are some contract jobs in Arizona:

https://www.indeed.com/q-Temporary-C...zona-jobs.html
The major difference between GS employees and contractors is the job security. Thats what makes fed jobs so great. Its not dependant upon contracts which by their very nature are temporary and subject to renewal (or not renewed). Trump has been trying to chip away at the job security which means that pay will have to go WAY up otherwise who would apply, then it just becomes another pseudo mcjob, especially if they increase the amount of customer facing rolls.

Old 10-07-2019, 06:54 AM

5,714 posts, read 4,291,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm0484 View Post
I will give you the benefit of my government experience (not all of it is current):

1. It is not always about you. Those notices are often a result of the agency having an internal candidate or (someone possibly from the outside also) already in mind, so they are going through the motions.

2. Pay attention to the job announcement. The more specialized and descriptive it is, the more likely it is tailored for someone specific. Also pay attention to the open period. If it is only open for a week, it is more than likely for someone specific.

3. The "really open" jobs generally have long open periods, or have more than one vacancy.

4. Sometimes, government contractor jobs can lead to civil service positions, depending on the agency.

5. I tried to get a government job for years without success. You generally need to know someone on the inside to get a government job, or to perform a service that incurs a favor due, such as temping for them. I was able to do this. Subsequent promotions after my initial entry also involved moving, because promotions are also political.

This is going back to the original question which has been pretty well covered already, but yes I understand this. I'm applying for low level jobs. I was a GS-9 20 years ago, and with one exception of a job I had to turn down I can't even get an interview for GS-5 jobs. I'm apparently not qualified to clean a toilet or a firepit. But I've worked out most of the things that I need to do on my resumes, and now know I have to lie through my teeth on the questions.

But my current question is about 1 specific question: education vs experience vs a combination.

//www.city-data.com/forum/56337951-post194.html

Old 10-07-2019, 12:54 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
I'm apparently not qualified to clean a toilet or a firepit. But I've worked out most of the things that I need to do on my resumes, and now know I have to lie through my teeth on the questions.

But my current question is about 1 specific question: education vs experience vs a combination.

//www.city-data.com/forum/56337951-post194.html
Remember, it isn't that you aren't qualified to clean the toilet or firepit, its that there are so many others equally or better qualified and eager to do the same thing. There's got to be some way to identify and separate a successful candidate from the rest of the pack. Whether it ends up being due to outright dishonesty and overconfidence answering KSAs, or evidence that the candidate has a little something extra the agency could benefit from in future (like ability to tackle subjective application requirements), who could say.

As for how to answer that question education vs experience...use your judgement and take your best shot. If you look at your qualifications (that sum of the whole) and determine that they satisfy the eligibility requirements for this GS level versus another, why is that? Is is primarily because of your education or your experience? Or, do you have to add both together in order to make the grade?

If it was a no-brainer cook-book answer, it wouldn't be a very useful question to ask would it?

Last edited by Parnassia; 10-07-2019 at 01:12 PM..

Old 10-07-2019, 01:09 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
It IS confusing question, and not just for the reason the OP states.
It's confusing because what if you have MORE than the minimal experience AND MORE than the minimal education. What should a person select in that case? Why is there no option for I have MORE than BOTH the minimums......OR CLARITY on which way to answer based on the situation?

Why should a person who has more than both minimums have to GUESS at which to pick experience OR education?

TO answer your question OP....I don't know.
Is there a federal hiring person here who could provide guidance...the more definitive the better.

Old 10-07-2019, 03:51 PM

5,714 posts, read 4,291,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Remember, it isn't that you aren't qualified to clean the toilet or firepit, its that there are so many others equally or better qualified and eager to do the same thing. There's got to be some way to identify and separate a successful candidate from the rest of the pack. Whether it ends up being due to outright dishonesty and overconfidence answering KSAs, or evidence that the candidate has a little something extra the agency could benefit from in future (like ability to tackle subjective application requirements), who could say.

As for how to answer that question education vs experience...use your judgement and take your best shot. If you look at your qualifications (that sum of the whole) and determine that they satisfy the eligibility requirements for this GS level versus another, why is that? Is is primarily because of your education or your experience? Or, do you have to add both together in order to make the grade?

If it was a no-brainer cook-book answer, it wouldn't be a very useful question to ask would it?

You seem to be assuming the questions aren't no brainers, but I'm not sure we can make that assumption.

The question might not be ranked, it might be either you make it or you don't. But the operative word is might.

I personally would rather hire someone with experience than someone who meets the requirements any other way. In most situations. But I have no clue what they think. If its not even a scored question beyond yes/no, then it doesn't matter.

Old 10-08-2019, 12:50 AM

23,306 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Yes. The person my former agency hired to replace me when I retired was a non-vet white male.

Old 10-08-2019, 07:56 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,060,155 times
Folks, all this is explained fairly clearly on the OPM website. General Schedule qualification policies. Definition of terms.

Old 10-08-2019, 12:41 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
tnff, do you have a link please, because I couldn't find what you're referring to? Thanks. I went to the OPM site and looked around and just couldn't find it.

Specifically my question is which should an applicant check if s/he has MORE than the minimum experience, AND more than the minimum education? IF OPM has answered this I'd like to see it. So once again, thanks.

For example, a person has 20 years experience -- AND a Master's Degree. Do you check that you're qualifying on education (alone)....or experience (alone)....when you really have both? How does a candidate know the system doesn't rate one of those "higher" or more favorably than the other. Pick the wrong one and you've cheated yourself in terms of consideration.

Also if you know why THAT isn't an option, please explain. I'm just trying to learn why that's not offered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment