Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2019, 04:52 PM

13,656 posts, read 9,717,813 times

Advertisements

For an alternative view, "tech" is the application of mathematics. If on a daily basis you create mathematical models, formulate the resulting equations, and solve them - then you're doing "tech". Otherwise you're more of an operator of machinery, be it computers or robots or whatnot.

By way of example, consider "data science" and its general task of recognizing patterns, or more specifically, extracting the most relevant information - from a vast slew - to make useful decisions. This is generally done using the singular value decomposition algorithm. Do you understand this algorithm? Do you understand the linear-algebra behind it? Could you re-derive it from first principles? If so, what you're doing is "tech".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2019, 07:56 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,228,935 times
If you listen to Silicon Valley, and look at job postings, you will think that tech jobs are as follows:

software developer, software developer, software developer, software developer, software developer, software developer, software developer, software developer, software developer, software developer, software developer, software developer, software developer, software developer, software developer, software developer, software developer, software developer, software developer, software developer, software developer, software developer, software developer, software developer, software developer, software developer, software developer, software developer, software developer, software developer, and software developer.

But there are plenty of other roles that don't require you to know how to code, but know about the technology under development.

Old 11-27-2019, 10:11 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
I think the term is over-used because what company doesn't use tech these days?

A real tech-job is someone who is a knowledge worker. Who must use knowledge obtained through practice and fundamentals learned.

Because there are too many jobs that are nothing more than technology pushing paper.

Old 11-27-2019, 10:18 AM

209 posts, read 292,553 times
I'm considered a "tech" worker as well. On paper. The job description and expectations I have listed on paper sound grandiose until you get down to brass tacks. At that point in time, you realize my primary function is to micromanage printers and toners while keeping an accurate count of mice and keyboards.

Old 11-27-2019, 12:54 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,576,544 times
are we limiting tech to be only computers or are chemists, mechanical engineers, geneticists, radio communications engineers, i.c. designers, ... also tech.

Last edited by stanley-88888888; 11-27-2019 at 01:19 PM..

Old 11-27-2019, 01:32 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
are we limiting tech to be only computers or are chemists, mechanical engineers, geneticists, radio communications engineers, i.c. designers, ... also tech.
You're referencing the wider STEM occupations.

Old 11-27-2019, 02:05 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
Yep, all those people work in "technology".

Old 11-30-2019, 06:45 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,938,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
"Technology" is not just computers.

High integrity die casting is technology. High strength low alloy steels are technology. CNC machining is technology. Drugs development is technology. Laser interferometry is technology.

Basically, anyone who is an engineer (I mean a real engineer), technician, industrial sales person, and most scientists, are working day to day in the field of technology.
I am an engineering technician that works in construction.

I am certified by the National Institute for Certification in Engineering Technology, or NICET, which is an Division of the Society of Professional Engineers.

The available NICET Technician Certification Programs are:

Civil Engineering Technology
Construction Materials Testing
Asphalt / Concrete / Soils

Transportation Construction Inspection
Highway Construction Inspection

Electrical and Mechanical Systems Engineering Technology
Electrical Power
Electrical Power Testing

Fire Protection
Fire Alarm Systems
Inspection and Testing of Fire Alarm Systems
Inspection and Testing of Water-Based Systems
Special Hazards Systems
Water-Based Systems Layout

Security Systems
Video Security Systems Designer / Video Security Systems Technician

I hold Level IV certification in Water-Based Systems Layout and I design fire sprinkler systems you find in hospitals, schools, mercantile stores, warehouses, nursing homes and practically anything large.

80% of my time is spent in front of computer screen designing a system using an AutoCad based system with add-on's for the work I do. I estimate job costs and write letters of proposals.

In most states companies are required to have Certificate of Competency Holders or Responsible Managing Employees or RME's hired on a full time basis with a minimum of one Competency Holder for each place of business.

To be an RME the applicant must have a NICET III or IV Certification and this might sound strange but the company licenses to do business has my name on them as the Responsible Managing Employee.

In the United States as of last October there are 1,823 Level III certificate holders and 1,202 Level IV's for a total of 3,025 Certificate Holders.

We get hired because we are required to hold the company licenses and most project specifications, like this one at Wright Patterson Air Force Base, will require a NICET IV.

The ability to hold the company license has always been the reason I am the first one hired and last one fired at any company I have worked for in the past. The license leaves when I leave and the company has 30 days to find a replacement but when you have 1,202 Level IV's nationwide the pickings are slim.

College is not required, high school will do it but I would tell anyone to attend at least one year at a technical school learning AutoCad. Purchase a copy of the NFPA #13 handbook, NFPA #20 (Fire Pumps) and NFPA #24 (Underground) and read them every night like you are reading a novel. Search the internet and you can find all kinds of stuff about the job and fire sprinkler design. Read up on NICET and the path to certification.

Get this under your belt and go to any company around telling them you want to be a designer and tell them what you know. You will blow their socks off and they will hire you on the spot for at least $12 plus benefits.

Pay goes up as you learn and that is all tied to the certification level. Level I (six months) will get you $2 while Level II (24 months) will get you to $20. Level III is five years and will get you $25 to $35 while Level IV is 10 years and will get you $30 to $40/hour.

From Payscale Salary for Certification: National Institute for Certification in Engineering Technologies (NICET) - Level IV $78k

But like anything worth having it isn't easy. You will have four to five full days written testing to get to Level IV and much of the math is college level and for Level IV certification you will have to solve flows through a multiple loop (grid) system using the Hardy Cross Method. This was not easy for me and I barely passed but that was after a lot of study and practice on my part.

Another good tech job is materials testing such as concrete. You would be amazed at what some experienced technicians in this field earn. Six figures is pretty well the standard in many parts of the country but the job doesn't look glamorous but $55/hour is a lot better than sitting at a help desk somewhere.

From my experience what I have noticed is most of the under 25 set has no idea of the number of roads to success there are in this country. What I do is a good example.... before you read this who did you think was responsible for doing the engineering and hydraulic calculations for a fire sprinkler system?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment