Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2019, 04:23 PM

525 posts, read 339,855 times

Advertisements

What can former employer say and not say when they are being called for a job reference? Can they say that this employee was fired and why he was fired? I applying for a job agency and I am supposed to list the last most recent job? I was fired from my last job because I didn't call out on time. Can the supervisor say this? Is it better not to apply at this job? Most jobs will ask you if they can contact a supervisor and I will put No for all my jobs and I still end up getting the job I applied for using those job references. This is the only job I was terminated. The other jobs I quit. What should I do? I wonder what other former employees do when they get terminated from a job and they worked there for many years. Before I was terminated, other employees were also termonated for other reasons including one who was with the company for many years. She was terminated because she failed a drug test so I wonder what people like her do in this situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2019, 04:36 PM

Also what is another way to say terminated but it wasn't my fault and this is why I am receiving unemployment right now.

Old 12-03-2019, 05:10 PM

61,720 posts, read 87,123,005 times
There are things that could be said, indirectly. Like, when asked if they would rehire you, they could say no.

Why don't you do a bit of homework yourself?
Here, found this on the Internet
There are no federal laws restricting what information an employer can - or cannot - disclose about former employees. If you were fired or terminated from employment, the company can say so. They can also give a reason.
https://www.monster.com/career-advic...rs-legally-say

What kind of questions do employers ask references?
Found the answers here:
https://www.thebalancecareers.com/qu...-check-2062965

Is a Former Employer's Bad Reference Illegal?
I save you the long reading by saying: NO, if it's the truth.
https://employment.findlaw.com/hirin...-illegal-.html

Are you obligated to provide your current employer as a reference?
No, BUT: if the company you're interviewing with is insisting on it, be aware that refusing may take you out of consideration as a result.

Any more questions?

Last edited by elnina; 12-03-2019 at 05:35 PM..

Old 12-03-2019, 05:18 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,882,281 times
A former employer can legally give reason for termination as long as it's believed to be truthful.

If you mark "no" if your previous supervisor can be contacted that doesn't legally bind them to not contacting your previous employer.

You asked a bunch of hastily worded questions and to that I'll just add it's best to answer application and interview questions as clearly and honestly as possible. Chances are your next employer has many current employees and applicant candidates with similar histories.

Old 12-03-2019, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
A former employer can legally give reason for termination as long as it's believed to be truthful.

If you mark "no" if your previous supervisor can be contacted that doesn't legally bind them to not contacting your previous employer.

You asked a bunch of hastily worded questions and to that I'll just add it's best to answer application and interview questions as clearly and honestly as possible. Chances are your next employer has many current employees and applicant candidates with similar histories.
I just remembered in the unemployment classes we were all told to say we were wrongfully discharged since it was concluded it wasn't our fault were were terminated so that's what I will put.

Old 12-03-2019, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritzui View Post
Also what is another way to say terminated but it wasn't my fault and this is why I am receiving unemployment right now.
Dismissal (also referred to as firing or sacking) is the termination of employment by an employer against the will of the employee.

Read this:
https://www.monster.com/career-advic...ul-termination

There is no need to draw attention to having been fired until the hiring manager asks you about it. Your job application, on the other hand, is going to ask you for a brief description of why you left your job. If you prefer, you can simply write "job ended," "laid off," or "terminated" on your application.
https://www.topresume.com/career-adv...y-on-my-resume

Extra tips:
https://money.usnews.com/money/blogs...-job-interview

Old 12-03-2019, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Dismissal (also referred to as firing or sacking) is the termination of employment by an employer against the will of the employee.

Read this:
https://www.monster.com/career-advic...ul-termination

There is no need to draw attention to having been fired until the hiring manager asks you about it. Your job application, on the other hand, is going to ask you for a brief description of why you left your job. If you prefer, you can simply write "job ended," "laid off," or "terminated" on your application.
https://www.topresume.com/career-adv...y-on-my-resume

Extra tips:
https://money.usnews.com/money/blogs...-job-interview
I will go with what we were told in all of our unemployment classes which is " wrongfully discharged " which means it wasn't my fault.

Old 12-03-2019, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritzui View Post
I will go with what we were told in all of our unemployment classes which is " wrongfully discharged " which means it wasn't my fault.
Alright, then. If you KNOW the answer, then why do you ask?

BTW: if you "didn't call out on time" and that's probably was not the only time, then you weren't "wrongfully" terminated/discharged.
There was a plausible cause. Employees who fail to come to work and don't call with a reason are often fired. Some employers choose to discharge workers after just one day of no-call/no-show absence.
Given the variety of communication tools we have now, I think it is pretty difficult for an employee to justify a failure to call in, although there are situations like a death in the immediate family, jail, or sudden hospitalization that could be re-evaluated and employment reinstated. Your's was not.

Last edited by elnina; 12-03-2019 at 06:07 PM..

Old 12-03-2019, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Alright, then. If you KNOW the answer, then why do you ask?

BTW: if you "didn't call out on time" and that's probably was not the only time, then you weren't "wrongfully" terminated/discharged.
There was a plausible cause. Employees who fail to come to work and don't call with a reason are often fired. Some employers choose to discharge workers after just one day of no-call/no-show absence.
Because I forgot at the time I asked and if you don't like the fact unemployment is telling people to say wrongfully dischraged instead of terminated then you should call them and complain about it. In all of our classes we were told to always say this on job applications. Get over it.

Old 12-03-2019, 06:13 PM

29,515 posts, read 22,653,459 times
Here we go again.

An employer can technically say anything about a former employee, so long as it is true.

Don't believe those who infer that 'all' employers will say nothing about a former employee for fear of some mythical lawsuit. Good luck threatening any company with a lawsuit if they state why you were fired it was true; I'm sure they'll quake in their boots.

Now, some companies as general practice may not give more than dates worked. But this is not universal, and to this date, not ONE single forum member has been able to state any laws that forbid employers from stating the reasons why an employee was let go. Because there is none.

And as mentioned above, there are several ways an employer can weed out an applicant without even getting a direct answer from the applicant's former employee. The classic is, "is this person eligible for rehire." Better yet, in many industries, all it takes is someone that knew the employee and off hand many things can be found out.

The best thing to do is be honest about why you were let go. There are MANY resources online on how to put a good spin on being fired for whatever reason during an interview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment