Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2019, 08:22 AM

571 posts, read 321,821 times

Advertisements

How else am I going to learn, if not from the wisdom and intellect of others who are further along? If I had the resources, I'd hire an entire team of mentors and advisers for myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2019, 08:41 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times
As a business owner, everyone I have hired is smarter than I am in their respective specialty.

Old 12-05-2019, 08:51 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,288,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dot1q3 View Post
Simple question: Let say you’re a hiring manager. Would you hire someone ‘smarter’ than you?

If you hire that smart person your team and company become more successful and your job easier. You don’t have to micromanage. S/he can come up with great ideas, help with process improvements, and so on.

On the contrary, this person will get bored with less challenging tasks, and may eventually look for another job. Further s/he could grow into taking your job and do it better than you.
Absolutely? That's a bonus in my book

In general though - I would hire the best person for the role. While intelligence is a factor, it's not the only one or is it always the sole factor. The best person for the role may not be the smartest person that interviewed.

As for the bolded - while that can happen. I don't see that as a automatic concern. Their experience/interests is a bigger factor to them being challenged/unchallenged vs. their intelligence alone.

Old 12-05-2019, 09:07 AM

23,539 posts, read 24,029,400 times
As a former hiring manager, I have in the past hired candidates with significantly more education and experience than I had.

Old 12-05-2019, 09:12 AM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
I wouldn't hire simply on the basis of being smart.

I used to work for a tech company that screened for intelligence with a certain test. Passing the test was mandatory to be hired. The "issue" was that so many of the candidates, even the computer/software engineers they were purportedly targeting, failed the test, and anyone who passed the test was basically given an offer.

What we ended up with were a bunch of very smart type A personalities and often big egos who couldn't work together. People were constantly trying to one-up each other. Some people would throw fellow employees under the bus to curry favor with a customer. Others basically tried to cowboy things on their own, thinking they were smarter than everyone else. Teams never really gelled.

Old 12-05-2019, 09:46 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post

I used to work for a tech company that screened for intelligence with a certain test. Passing the test was mandatory to be hired. The "issue" was that so many of the candidates, even the computer/software engineers they were purportedly targeting, failed the test, and anyone who passed the test was basically given an offer.

What we ended up with were a bunch of very smart type A personalities and often big egos who couldn't work together. People were constantly trying to one-up each other. Some people would throw fellow employees under the bus to curry favor with a customer. Others basically tried to cowboy things on their own, thinking they were smarter than everyone else. Teams never really gelled.
No question that this can be a problem, but I interpreted the question not as "would you hire someone with serious employability and interpersonal problems because they're smarter than you?" but rather as "would you be afraid to hire an otherwise suitable person because they're smarter than you?"

Given the extremely large number of people who are smarter than me, it's almost inevitable.

Old 12-05-2019, 10:21 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,917,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post

Being smart is measured different ways. Hiring people based purely in intellectual ability (or technical ability) is often a mistake. There are a lot of people who are very intelligent (more often than not engineers/developers/technical workers) who are lower on the side of social skills. We can debate the terminology for it (intelligence vs being smart, intelligence vs wisdom, IQ vs EQ, etc.) but raw intelligence or raw technical ability is maybe 1/2 of what people are looking for.

I can see passing a test as a baseline to get an in person interview for those kind of jobs, but in the interview they will need to show they can work on a team, they have a non-toxic personality, their ego won't be an issue, etc. At the end of the day, technical skills can be taught much easier than personality.

Old 12-05-2019, 11:14 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,927,691 times
Absolutely, always hire those more gifted than yourself who can bring more to the table. Also always take a job where everyone is smarter than you and has more experience. It's the best way to keep growing your knowledge and capabilities.

Old 12-05-2019, 11:55 AM

1,074 posts, read 641,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dot1q3 View Post
Simple question: Let say you’re a hiring manager. Would you hire someone ‘smarter’ than you?

If you hire that smart person your team and company become more successful and your job easier. You don’t have to micromanage. S/he can come up with great ideas, help with process improvements, and so on.

On the contrary, this person will get bored with less challenging tasks, and may eventually look for another job. Further s/he could grow into taking your job and do it better than you.
The best boss I ever had told a story of how she found her director of education..
She was giving a lecture for continuing education which the future DOE was attending. Apparently, the boss (who is intelligent in many ways, but not the traditional "book smarts" studious type) made a couple of errors, which the future DOE was quick to correct. Boss said after the 2nd time "lady if you keep correcting me, I'm going to have to hire you!" Which she did.
Yes, I think the "boss" is the one with charisma, a figure head, but perhaps not the smartest person in the room if we are judging by IQ type smarts.

Old 12-05-2019, 12:19 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,701,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshaBrady1968 View Post
The best boss I ever had told a story of how she found her director of education..
She was giving a lecture for continuing education which the future DOE was attending. Apparently, the boss (who is intelligent in many ways, but not the traditional "book smarts" studious type) made a couple of errors, which the future DOE was quick to correct. Boss said after the 2nd time "lady if you keep correcting me, I'm going to have to hire you!" Which she did.
Yes, I think the "boss" is the one with charisma, a figure head, but perhaps not the smartest person in the room if we are judging by IQ type smarts.
that sounds like something I would do! I'm actually not detail oriented or studious. I'm great at motivating, listening, leading, and directing. But nothing feels better than hiring people that are detail/task oriented. We are a match made in heaven!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment