Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2020, 06:45 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,119,844 times

Advertisements

People that quit their jobs on the spot: What is your best your rage quit story?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2020, 07:29 PM

1,608 posts, read 3,077,590 times
Here's a few.

Quit a job because of a demotion.

Quit a job because of the coronavirus.

Old 03-27-2020, 07:29 PM

3,346 posts, read 2,200,125 times
Worked for a tech company for four months as head of a support department. There were four VPs, each with equal authority and each of whom thought he was the rightful heir to the throne. President/owner was an older guy who spent his days in his dim office, leaving the company to these four and trying to disentangle his wealthy father from the Scientologists.

I finally went to my boss (one of the VPs and a nice guy) and told him, look, I have to do this, this, this and this to make my department even moderately useful. I couldn't do each one because one VP or another blocked it. (An example: I was in charge of production of user manuals, and we used a repro service that consistently effed up every job. I wanted to put it out for bid and better QC... but I couldn't because the Finance VP's 20yo daughter had the job placed with her boyfriend's company.)

I went back to my desk, sat there for five minutes, picked up a box, did an arm-sweep of my stuff, walked out and called HR from home. I've never even listed the company on my resume.

Old 03-27-2020, 07:37 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
I walked out of a grocery store job when I was 18.

Old 03-28-2020, 09:31 AM

957 posts, read 538,253 times
Ohhhhh My daughter! She was working for an insurance company - it was a 6 person office (the owner, his wife, an Aspirant, My daughter and two other girls who wrote up polices)... SHE was hired as office manager, with full benefits, paid vacation, holiday pay, sick pay etc. Plus a $2/hr raise after the first 30 days.

She was there for ONE month and the owner told her she would need to go to xxx (whatever its called - its a course so you can discuss and sell insurance policies to people) because she will be answering the phone in her role as Ofc Mgr and they cant have a lawsuit because she wasnt qualified. So she took a Saturday and did the course.

After that, they had her selling (cold calling) policies. She said that this was NOT what she was hired for, but they told her it was 'just for a tad'.

Then the owner went out of town on a trip - and fell gravely ill.

While the owner was out of town, the Aspirant (a 'wannabe' agent) decided HE was the office manager and started writing my daughter up for 'unacceptable numbers' (not enough policies written) and when she asked to discuss HER role in the firm with him to set him straight, he told her that she was welcome to leave and get a job at McDonalds, if she didnt like it and that HE was now office manager.

The second week, the Aspirant decided that since HE was the boss, he just sat in his office reading... READING!! and surfing the internet. Mind you ... making sure to bring in new business is the Aspirants job... but he was sloughing all HIS duties off on my daughter and the other 2 office workers (who's job it was to write up the policy AFTER the Aspirant had gotten the people).

The third week my daughter had an emergency with her daughter - I wasnt available to take my granddaughter to the hospital, so my daughter told the Aspirant she was taking a 'sick day' to take care of her child and the Aspirant told her that it wasnt enough of an emergency to warrant her taking time off.

Two days later when my daughter came back to work, the Aspirant called her into his office and proceeded to YELL at her. She sat there, listened politely then got up and set her keys on his desk (she had cleaned her desk out over the weekend) and said 'Im Done'. And walked out, head high. HE continued to yell at her to get her ass back in there.. that he wasnt done with her... and on and on. She walked out the front door.

The next day both the other girls in the office walked out as well.

When the owner came back - he found JUST the Aspirant trying to do three peoples job. My daughter and I laughed.
Karma baby, Karma
Kacey

Old 03-29-2020, 11:17 AM

2,662 posts, read 1,376,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaceyellis View Post
Ohhhhh My daughter! She was working for an insurance company - it was a 6 person office (the owner, his wife, an Aspirant, My daughter and two other girls who wrote up polices)... SHE was hired as office manager, with full benefits, paid vacation, holiday pay, sick pay etc. Plus a $2/hr raise after the first 30 days.

She was there for ONE month and the owner told her she would need to go to xxx (whatever its called - its a course so you can discuss and sell insurance policies to people) because she will be answering the phone in her role as Ofc Mgr and they cant have a lawsuit because she wasnt qualified. So she took a Saturday and did the course.

After that, they had her selling (cold calling) policies. She said that this was NOT what she was hired for, but they told her it was 'just for a tad'.

Then the owner went out of town on a trip - and fell gravely ill.

While the owner was out of town, the Aspirant (a 'wannabe' agent) decided HE was the office manager and started writing my daughter up for 'unacceptable numbers' (not enough policies written) and when she asked to discuss HER role in the firm with him to set him straight, he told her that she was welcome to leave and get a job at McDonalds, if she didnt like it and that HE was now office manager.

The second week, the Aspirant decided that since HE was the boss, he just sat in his office reading... READING!! and surfing the internet. Mind you ... making sure to bring in new business is the Aspirants job... but he was sloughing all HIS duties off on my daughter and the other 2 office workers (who's job it was to write up the policy AFTER the Aspirant had gotten the people).

The third week my daughter had an emergency with her daughter - I wasnt available to take my granddaughter to the hospital, so my daughter told the Aspirant she was taking a 'sick day' to take care of her child and the Aspirant told her that it wasnt enough of an emergency to warrant her taking time off.

Two days later when my daughter came back to work, the Aspirant called her into his office and proceeded to YELL at her. She sat there, listened politely then got up and set her keys on his desk (she had cleaned her desk out over the weekend) and said 'Im Done'. And walked out, head high. HE continued to yell at her to get her ass back in there.. that he wasnt done with her... and on and on. She walked out the front door.

The next day both the other girls in the office walked out as well.

When the owner came back - he found JUST the Aspirant trying to do three peoples job. My daughter and I laughed.
Karma baby, Karma
Kacey
What became of the Aspirant?

Old 03-29-2020, 03:32 PM

957 posts, read 538,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrianbush View Post
What became of the Aspirant?
I dont know... after she left we didnt care enough to find out

Old 03-29-2020, 04:34 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times
My first job was at Wendy's when I was 15. My first day I watched a video and then they asked me go on break and when I came back I was to wash dishes in the big sink. I went straight to the phone and called my mom to pick me up. I then called from home and said I won't be coming back from break, I quit! Other than that, I have always left a job on good terms.

Old 03-29-2020, 05:47 PM

88 posts, read 54,945 times
I was working at a small TV station and I had three more tasks to accomplish.

While I was working one one, the arrogant kid that also worked there, went behind my back and did another, then told the boss that I didn't do my job, so he had to do it for me.

The boss was dumb enough to believe him, so he wrote me up for it. That was my last day there.

Old 03-29-2020, 05:48 PM

654 posts, read 364,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
People that quit their jobs on the spot: What is your best your rage quit story?
In a law firm about 20+ years ago, one of my colleagues just walked out. He didn't have another job lined up.

Lawyers typically do not do that, since where you work is so key, being unemployed is so damaging and getting a job can be such a pain. I've only heard of it happening then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment