Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2020, 03:08 PM

1,406 posts, read 1,184,283 times

Advertisements

hmmm...something must be wrong with the city-data forum software - I thought I had clicked on a thread about remote employment not lasting, and this appears to be a discussion on a different topic altogether.

Old 11-30-2020, 05:39 PM

1,950 posts, read 1,131,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
He understands it completely. China thinks their vaccines are safe. They magically mapped the entire genome on Jan 6, a day after they first identified it.
I'm not certain China is the best place for you to get trusted guidance on vaccines.

Old 11-30-2020, 09:21 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,256,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
I was extrapolating. We don't see the vast majority of bankruptcies on the news because they aren't with large corporations. They are small businesses.

17 cents on the dollar is better than nothing and it's what was agreed upon.

We aren't talking about people here. We're talking about businesses and employers. They are not in the same boat when it comes to bankruptcy. People can be careless, but employers have a fiducial responsibility. Just because a business went bankrupt doesn't mean anything wrong was done. It's a normal part of the business cycle. Everyone, even the creditors, know this. It doesn't make them any less innocent.

No, it is nt normal. Or at least it sure shouldn't be. Bankruptcy is a fairly modern concept.

17 cents on the dollar is better than nothing, but even better might be allowing a company to bide it's time until the other company is prosperous again and get 1.50 on the dollar (interest). I'm sure the creditors who were coerced into taking 17 cents on the dollar from United in 2002 would have been better off to put the debt on ice and collect in 2006 when United netted $20B. Why should creditors be barred from doing that?

Old 11-30-2020, 11:41 PM

Quote:
No, it is nt normal. Or at least it sure shouldn't be. Bankruptcy is a fairly modern concept.
It's a modern concept because debt slavery wasn't illegal. Also, I question the relevancy of your timeline in a thread about remote employment. In fact, I'd go as far as saying that your consideration for the 1500's being modern times in the context of working remotely over the internet is downright dismissive and insulting to others on this thread.

Old 12-01-2020, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
Us "boomers" in IT aren't going anywhere. I have been WFH for over 3 years before all this COVID nonsense. I do DevOps and Release Management supporting applications in AWS. I can do that from anywhere.
So are you a release manager or a developer? DevOps is a skill and a philosophy. It's not a role or a team (although some companies never get this).

Old 12-01-2020, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
It's a modern concept because debt slavery wasn't illegal. Also, I question the relevancy of your timeline in a thread about remote employment. In fact, I'd go as far as saying that your consideration for the 1500's being modern times in the context of working remotely over the internet is downright dismissive and insulting to others on this thread.

Bankruptcy was brought up in relation to WFH because it relates to the liability companies incur for bringing workers back on site. Without covid immunity, companies could be buried and bankrupted by lawsuits, even if they win them. Especially smaller companies that can't float millions in legal defense. Whether WFH continues is directly relevant to whether companies think they can resume in-office without being bankrupted by liability suits. Costly lawsuits are one of the causes of corporate bankruptcy.

Where did I mention the 1500's? You need to quit mistaking the voices in your head for things that I said.

Old 12-01-2020, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Bankruptcy was brought up in relation to WFH because it relates to the liability companies incur for bringing workers back on site. Without covid immunity, companies could be buried and bankrupted by lawsuits, even if they win them. Especially smaller companies that can't float millions in legal defense. Whether WFH continues is directly relevant to whether companies think they can resume in-office without being bankrupted by liability suits. Costly lawsuits are one of the causes of corporate bankruptcy.

Where did I mention the 1500's? You need to quit mistaking the voices in your head for things that I said.
You said Bankruptcy was a modern concept:

Quote:
Bankruptcy is a fairly modern concept.
It came common practice in the 1500s and has changed little since. How are you equating that to "modern"?

Old 12-01-2020, 09:09 AM

35,121 posts, read 31,396,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudlander View Post
I should have pre-faced, I was living in VA, then I moved to Texas in December 2019 for a job, but it was half ass move (I took clothes, no furniture, and AirBnBed it).
Then in March I got another better job offer in Texas, I took that job, I had some time off before it began so I went back to VA for a bit, and just as that happened boom the pandemic started.
I was brought on board remotely in April, I have never worked a day in the office....knowing this....how Texas is doing....and that I have a medical condition...when might this be an issue again?
My point of concern with trying to go remote with companies that weren't previously remote friendly is that they could easily renege after COVID.

Right now, the focus at my place seems to be fully remote with reservable office space. Part of that desire is coming from saving on rent for all these commercial office buildings were in. Still, I have no faith that once a vaccine is widely available next year that we won't be recalled to the office, likely on short notice, and anyone who can't/won't report back gets cut as soon as they can find a replacement.

Old 12-01-2020, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
You said Bankruptcy was a modern concept:

It came common practice in the 1500s and has changed little since. How are you equating that to "modern"?

Because I live in the USA not England. And I don't think what passed for bankruptcy in England 1500's was either common or bore any resemblance to modern bankruptcy.

The Bankruptcy Act of 1898 was the first to give companies in distress an option of being protected from creditors...

The economic upheaval of the Great Depression yielded additional bankruptcy legislation, in particular, the Bankruptcy Acts of 1933 and 1934...

The Bankruptcy Reform Act of 1978 took effect on October 1, 1979. This act, which continues to serve as the uniform federal law that governs all bankruptcy cases today, substantially revamped bankruptcy practices.

https://www.bankruptcydata.com/a-history-of-bankruptcy

Old 12-01-2020, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Because I live in the USA not England. And I don't think what passed for bankruptcy in England 1500's was either common or bore any resemblance to modern bankruptcy.

The Bankruptcy Act of 1898 was the first to give companies in distress an option of being protected from creditors...

The economic upheaval of the Great Depression yielded additional bankruptcy legislation, in particular, the Bankruptcy Acts of 1933 and 1934...

The Bankruptcy Reform Act of 1978 took effect on October 1, 1979. This act, which continues to serve as the uniform federal law that governs all bankruptcy cases today, substantially revamped bankruptcy practices.

https://www.bankruptcydata.com/a-history-of-bankruptcy
That clears things up. Your link shows bankruptcy goes back to the 1500s and that in the US, bankruptcy is consideration for law under congress in our very own Constitution (so since the birth of the nation), with that power being first utilized in the US in 1800.

So earlier you said:

Quote:
Bankruptcy is a fairly modern concept.
And now you have shown that you are wrong.

Especially in the context of remote working over the internet in 2020, to suggest that bankruptcy is modern is downright dismissive and insulting to others on this thread. This type of remote working did not exist 500 years ago, let alone 100 years ago. It's quite novel to actual modern times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment