Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2020, 05:15 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
That clears things up. Your link shows bankruptcy goes back to the 1500s and that in the US, bankruptcy is consideration for law under congress in our very own Constitution (so since the birth of the nation), with that power being first utilized in the US in 1800.

So earlier you said:

And now you have shown that you are wrong.

Especially in the context of remote working over the internet in 2020, to suggest that bankruptcy is modern is downright dismissive and insulting to others on this thread. This type of remote working did not exist 500 years ago, let alone 100 years ago. It's quite novel to actual modern times.

I'm baffled as to how it is dismissive and insulting. On what grounds would anyone feel insulted? "Waaa, you said bk is modern, I'm so hurt".

Within the scale of human history, even 500 years would be relatively recent.

If you read my link deeper, you'd see the US tried a bankruptcy law in 1800 and quickly repealed it. Bottom line "The Bankruptcy Act of 1898 was the first to give companies in distress an option of being protected from creditors...".

Protection from creditors was the entire crux of my point. It solves the problem of the one filing by dumping it on others. I already said about 3 or 4 times I'm ok with BK as long as the creditors get repaid. And by repaid, I don't mean 17 cents on the dollar.

Old 12-01-2020, 07:24 PM

1,065 posts, read 471,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
He understands it completely. China thinks their vaccines are safe. They magically mapped the entire genome on Jan 6, a day after they first identified it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
I'm not certain China is the best place for you to get trusted guidance on vaccines.
Yep.

Old 12-02-2020, 09:05 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia
He understands it completely. China thinks their vaccines are safe. They magically mapped the entire genome on Jan 6, a day after they first identified it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality
I'm not certain China is the best place for you to get trusted guidance on vaccines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgorilla View Post
Yep.

I would have thought the use of "magically" denoted my skepticism of anything China says or does.

Old 12-02-2020, 09:17 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Oh my gosh you two! Please come back to the topic before the thread gets shut down for going off into space.

Old 12-02-2020, 09:22 AM

1,264 posts, read 2,439,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
My point of concern with trying to go remote with companies that weren't previously remote friendly is that they could easily renege after COVID.

Right now, the focus at my place seems to be fully remote with reservable office space. Part of that desire is coming from saving on rent for all these commercial office buildings were in. Still, I have no faith that once a vaccine is widely available next year that we won't be recalled to the office, likely on short notice, and anyone who can't/won't report back gets cut as soon as they can find a replacement.
So when do you think the majority of us WFH will be back in the office, and will it be back like ogre-pandemic or hybrid?

Old 12-02-2020, 12:16 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudlander View Post
So when do you think the majority of us WFH will be back in the office, and will it be back like ogre-pandemic or hybrid?
Each company is going to have a different expectation and areas of the country are going to have different levels of infection. It won't be a one-size-fits-all answer.

My guess is that many companies do not go back to anything quasi-normal until there's enough vaccine out there and people taking it to prevent widespread outbreaks. Probably late Q2 2021, maybe Q3.

Old 12-02-2020, 03:29 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,701,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudlander View Post
Tough to say. I would venture to summer 2021 might be a starting point for some companies to begin their new normal?

But it's complicated for the following factors:

- Some people are fearful to go back, or have underlying health conditions
- many employees are simply demanding WFH or hybrid
- it somewhat depends on what schools are doing
- many employees started to make new hires remote to get access to a better talent pool
- if a limited pool goes back, do buildings staff their gyms and cafeterias?

Old 12-02-2020, 07:22 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
Tough to say. I would venture to summer 2021 might be a starting point for some companies to begin their new normal?

But it's complicated for the following factors:

- Some people are fearful to go back, or have underlying health conditions
- many employees are simply demanding WFH or hybrid
- it somewhat depends on what schools are doing
- many employees started to make new hires remote to get access to a better talent pool
- if a limited pool goes back, do buildings staff their gyms and cafeterias?
Many companies who want to go back to business as usual are going to have a tough time of that if they have skilled, in-demand employees.

I've had numerous interviews while looking casually over the last three months or so. Nothing has worked out, but I have relatively high pay expectations, it needs to be in certain locations I want, at least some remote work, etc. If I was forced to be butt-in-seat five days a week in the city where my office is (and I despise that city), I'd certainly look at any and all options available.

I'm on a team of four. Out of us, one other person and myself simply don't want to go back to normal. She said she'd look for something else as well. While one guy does like being in the office alone, he's 63, had COVID, and he's been eyeing the retirement door for awhile as it is. It wouldn't take much to push him out. The other person is in his early 60s, lives in TN, and has a mom in her 80s in Ohio, where he's from. He's also talked about moving back to OH.

We all run mission critical stuff, from communications to surveillance systems. It would be nearly impossible to replace our expertise on a short-term basis.

Old 12-02-2020, 08:19 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,701,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Many companies who want to go back to business as usual are going to have a tough time of that if they have skilled, in-demand employees.

I've had numerous interviews while looking casually over the last three months or so. Nothing has worked out, but I have relatively high pay expectations, it needs to be in certain locations I want, at least some remote work, etc. If I was forced to be butt-in-seat five days a week in the city where my office is (and I despise that city), I'd certainly look at any and all options available.

I'm on a team of four. Out of us, one other person and myself simply don't want to go back to normal. She said she'd look for something else as well. While one guy does like being in the office alone, he's 63, had COVID, and he's been eyeing the retirement door for awhile as it is. It wouldn't take much to push him out. The other person is in his early 60s, lives in TN, and has a mom in her 80s in Ohio, where he's from. He's also talked about moving back to OH.

We all run mission critical stuff, from communications to surveillance systems. It would be nearly impossible to replace our expertise on a short-term basis.
I'm always casually looking to keep a pulse on the market, and like you, if a company were to contact me with an old school 5 days a week butt in seats role, it wouldn't interest me. It reveals too much about the companies overall philosophy that I know we wouldn't be a match

Old 12-03-2020, 07:24 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,707,175 times
So I have a story and some good news to share!

I was laid off from my job in October (I was in the Aerospace industry). I worked in a small city in GA, but (pre-COVID) had an extremely long commute to/from a far flung suburb of Atlanta (this suburb was *NOT* in Atlanta's favored quarter, BTW).

To be fair, I was actually getting to the point that I wanted to be laid off. I hated the location, the company already imposed mandatory furloughs plus canceled pay raises, the company didn't offer any help with doing an internal transfer to new positions and I wasn't fond of my new boss.

What I didn't care for is how they went about the layoffs. There was absolutely no transparency into their decision and despite the COVID downturn hitting way back in March / April, they dragged the layoffs out all the way until before the holidays (when companies normally stop hiring and the $600/week UI supplement had long ended). Needless to say, I'm still bitter about it and have nothing good to say about this company, nor most of the people who still work there.

In any event, I took the opportunity to cobble together the funds for a move to Dallas (this is why it pays to have excellent credit), which I completed in late November. I honestly was kind of throwing caution into the wind with this move (I know most people wouldn't be bold enough to do it while unemployed) and had fully prepared myself mentally to be out of work for months, as well as possibly having to move back home. If anything, I probably should have somehow screwed this up and failed.

Meanwhile, while making this move, I was actively applying for jobs since I had been laid off and I'm happy to announce that I just signed an offer letter for a new job in a more stable/secure industry that will allow me to work remotely 100% of the time permanently (after only being out of work 1.5 months). I will also be making more than I made before *AND* will have more disposable income since I'm now in a no-income tax state.

So I'm definitely in a better place now than I was a couple months ago. Things ended up working out for the best.

That said, I will say that in my search, most companies had either already returned their salaried workers to the office or had every intention to bring them back in 2021. That's why I only focused my search on jobs that specifically stated "100% remote work always." These jobs were still few/far between though, and the competition was stiff for them because people nationwide were being considered.

So while I lucked up big time, I still don't see remote work becoming the norm. In fact, I suspect the remote opportunities will really start to dry up next year now that the vaccines are being distributed.

Last edited by citidata18; 12-03-2020 at 07:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment