Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2020, 10:41 AM

394 posts, read 571,126 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I recently graduated with a masters degree in health informatics and I have been having a hard time finding any employment due to my lack of experience in the healthcare world. While in undergrad and grad school I was so focused on studying and getting good grade along with working a retail job. Although the job helped pay the bills along with provide a huge amount of flexibility which I took advantage of, it turned into years of not gaining any experience working in healthcare. Looking back, I now regret staying at those jobs because I now feel stuck. The pandemic has made things worse I feel and now I am not sure what my next move is. I know that I can only blame myself but some advice would be greatly appreciated. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2020, 11:08 AM

30,531 posts, read 16,226,596 times
You're right -it won't be easy at this point but that doesn't mean impossible. Keep trying and be ready to relocate for a job in the field.

I had the same problem when I 1st got out of med tech school. Granted it was years ago but I couldn't find a job because I had no experience. Applied a over 100 places (honest!) across the country. I was living in western NY at the time and got a job in PA. Took it just for the experience. 11 months later I found something better.

The education is the 1st step, entry level job some place, any place, will be the second step.

Just keep trying and when you get an interview don't apologize for your previous jobs. They show how hard you're willing to work for what you want.

Old 11-10-2020, 11:08 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
What does a degree in health informatics qualify you to do? What kinds of jobs to others with that degree hold?

Old 11-10-2020, 04:14 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
What is your undergrad in? Any internships?

I would look at entry level hospital jobs, get a reputation as a hard worker, and try to move up.

Old 11-10-2020, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
You're right -it won't be easy at this point but that doesn't mean impossible. Keep trying and be ready to relocate for a job in the field.

I had the same problem when I 1st got out of med tech school. Granted it was years ago but I couldn't find a job because I had no experience. Applied a over 100 places (honest!) across the country. I was living in western NY at the time and got a job in PA. Took it just for the experience. 11 months later I found something better.

The education is the 1st step, entry level job some place, any place, will be the second step.

Just keep trying and when you get an interview don't apologize for your previous jobs. They show how hard you're willing to work for what you want.
Thank You for sharing that.
Its success stories like yours that give me hope and motivation. I was also starting to believe that I may have to relocate and move from NYC sadly but I have to do what I have to do.
Thank you again for the advice.

Old 11-10-2020, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
What is your undergrad in? Any internships?

I would look at entry level hospital jobs, get a reputation as a hard worker, and try to move up.
Undergrad in sociology ( useless :-( ) and only internship experience was a practicum towards the end of my masters degree program that doubled as credit to graduate from the program. It was only for 6 months unfortunately.

Old 11-10-2020, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
What does a degree in health informatics qualify you to do? What kinds of jobs to others with that degree hold?
What grabbed my attention to the program was the potential job growth and the encouraging words from the program director to apply after reviewing my CV at an open house. I liked that the emerging field dealt with the non-clinical aspects of healthcare such as the data security and keeping the maintenance and safety of data that is constantly in use with healthcare. That data is seen as useful to provide continued and efficient care to patients.

Old 11-10-2020, 09:05 PM

6,819 posts, read 11,548,200 times
Cerner Corporation of North Kansas City, MO

https://www.cerner.com/

Old 11-10-2020, 10:06 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,389,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RentingNYC View Post
Hi all,
I recently graduated with a masters degree in health informatics and I have been having a hard time finding any employment due to my lack of experience in the healthcare world. While in undergrad and grad school I was so focused on studying and getting good grade along with working a retail job. Although the job helped pay the bills along with provide a huge amount of flexibility which I took advantage of, it turned into years of not gaining any experience working in healthcare. Looking back, I now regret staying at those jobs because I now feel stuck. The pandemic has made things worse I feel and now I am not sure what my next move is. I know that I can only blame myself but some advice would be greatly appreciated. :-)

I've lived a long time and learned a couple of things about this issue except not in a pandemic.

I looked up what health imformatics is. I would have thought that amid covid they would be clamoring to hire you. You won't be starting at a prestigious position, anyway. That's not how it works. Start working with a team first not as the manager or supervisor. You need to "learn the ropes".

Do you have temp worker companies and employment agencies in your area? Have a virtual interview. You don't have to just respond to one of their ads. Call and tell them about you and that you want to be on active record with them for employment. Go to more than one of these agencies. They all have different clients. They will do some hunting in their list of employers.

In the meantime, make some cold calls. Call some hospital administrators and find out where the system needs people. I'm not talking about being a nurse or orderly. Ask them to suggest the best place to call for employment in your field. Contact the government health dept. Don't only use newspaper classifieds exclusively. Most jobs are not even listed. That's why you need to dig and network. Aim to talk to managers rather than front desk people with your inquiries. Talk to your classmates and find out what they have done or not.

I took advantage of enrolling in an institute designed to train me how to look for a job. It was advantageous. An online class would work just as well as physically attending.

Old 11-10-2020, 11:43 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,789,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RentingNYC View Post
Undergrad in sociology ( useless :-( ) and only internship experience was a practicum towards the end of my masters degree program that doubled as credit to graduate from the program. It was only for 6 months unfortunately.
Interesting, my younger sister has a degree in such. She's working for an independent agency that works with abused children. She's their "contract writer" but she's trying to get into other areas.

It took her 2 years just to score a job where she could use her degree. But once she did. She got locked in and is so good, she's not easily replaceable now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment