Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2021, 09:41 PM

22 posts, read 24,737 times

Advertisements

One of my best friends manages a small restaurant with a mutual friend of ours (daughter to the owners). She came to me a few days ago certain that the owners of the restaurant, who are present a few days each week, are taking shares of the tips from a pooled jar. She mentioned it to the owners daughter and her response was "that's how my parents have always done it. If we split the tips equally then everyone will get paid $2.75/hour."

She asked me for advice on how to approach them about this and to be honest I didn't know what to say. I was pretty floored as I believe it's quite an unethical circumstance. She is certain they are taking tips, which was my first question to her. Additionally, they have her classified as a 1099 contractor that entails making food, serving, and any other duties that come with running a restaurant.

I'd like to pass on some sound advice to her. Can anyone weigh in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2021, 10:33 PM

13,133 posts, read 21,027,138 times
If the owner is taking a portion of the pooled tips, (and not performing duties covered by the tip pool) it's a violation of federal law.
Start here:
FLSA Tipped Employees
Go to page 2 and look under Tip Retention.

For misclassification of employment status, if true, that's a State and Federal violation.
Start here:
IRS - self employed, independent contractor or employee?
Follow the steps to see where she fits.

Old 05-17-2021, 08:31 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,241,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyArt911 View Post
One of my best friends manages a small restaurant with a mutual friend of ours (daughter to the owners). She came to me a few days ago certain that the owners of the restaurant, who are present a few days each week, are taking shares of the tips from a pooled jar. She mentioned it to the owners daughter and her response was "that's how my parents have always done it. If we split the tips equally then everyone will get paid $2.75/hour."

She asked me for advice on how to approach them about this and to be honest I didn't know what to say. I was pretty floored as I believe it's quite an unethical circumstance. She is certain they are taking tips, which was my first question to her. Additionally, they have her classified as a 1099 contractor that entails making food, serving, and any other duties that come with running a restaurant.

Advice on how to approach them? It sounds like she already has and was given a brush off. Approach them again and there's a good chance your friend will become unemployed.

Old 05-17-2021, 08:52 PM

15,470 posts, read 7,522,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyArt911 View Post

State Department of Labor and the IRS. Both of them will investigate without saying who tipped them off.

Old 05-18-2021, 08:31 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,481,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
If the owner is taking a portion of the pooled tips, (and not performing duties covered by the tip pool) it's a violation of federal law.
Start here:
FLSA Tipped Employees
Go to page 2 and look under Tip Retention.

For misclassification of employment status, if true, that's a State and Federal violation.
Start here:
IRS - self employed, independent contractor or employee?
Follow the steps to see where she fits.
Oh, it's a federal thing. For some reason, I thought it was only on a state level! Yeah, it doesn't matter if a manager bussed a table, or brought a plate of food to the table. He's still NOT entitled to tips! Didn't make sense at first, but people were saying this is to prevent abuse (and it's not like owners and managers don't have other perks).

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Advice on how to approach them? It sounds like she already has and was given a brush off. Approach them again and there's a good chance your friend will become unemployed.
This too. Even if done anonymously, it may come back to that friend. If they're not the only restaurant in town, it may be worth losing this job over (and doesn't sound like you'd want to work with these people anyways)

Old 05-18-2021, 10:22 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,241,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
This too. Even if done anonymously, it may come back to that friend. If they're not the only restaurant in town, it may be worth losing this job over (and doesn't sound like you'd want to work with these people anyways)

Sometimes the theory doesn't match the reality. OP's friend should be able to file a legitimate complaint without repercussions however they better have solid evidence since they are dealing with a family business. It wouldn't surprise me if OP's friend doesn't get fired pretty soon just for bringing it up. If the owners know what they are doing is wrong they are going to get rid of any non-family that is aware of it before they can get solid evidence.

Old 05-18-2021, 01:00 PM

13,133 posts, read 21,027,138 times
Quote:
Oh, it's a federal thing. For some reason, I thought it was only on a state level!
States have the ability to enact state laws similar to the FLSA or they could just say it's a violation of state law to violate the FSLA. So employees may have state protections as well.

[quote=ackmondual;61066936]Yeah, it doesn't matter if a manager bussed a table, or brought a plate of food to the table. He's still NOT entitled to tips! Didn't make sense at first, but people were saying this is to prevent abuse (and it's not like owners and managers don't have other perks).
Under DOL's guidelines, owner/management sharing of pooled tips is proportionate to their active duties of those in the pool. So a manager that serves someone food or busses a table can't participate unless it's a regulars assigned function of their job to do those things as if in that position.

Quote:
One of the benefits of making a formal complaint is retaliation protection. Sure you'll be fired, but when the dust settles, the former employer may end up paying you damages such as lost wages, benefits, punitive damages, etc.

Old 05-18-2021, 03:45 PM

6,471 posts, read 3,992,937 times
What is it she wants to do? Report them? Confront them? If she talks to them, why does she think they will stop, if they've "always done this" (I assume for years) and even their daughter doesn't seem concerned about it?

How sure is "pretty sure"? Has she seen them do it? Have they told her they do it? Do other employees know they do it? Can she prove they do it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
One of the benefits of making a formal complaint is retaliation protection. Sure you'll be fired, but when the dust settles, the former employer may end up paying you damages such as lost wages, benefits, punitive damages, etc.
Sure, if they can't come up with another reason. OP's friend would do well to keep their nose extremely clean-- never arrive even 10 seconds late, make sure to be working every second, never have even the slightest altercation or disagreement with a coworker, always be dressed impeccably, be the very picture of politeness to the customers, never balk at any task they're asked to do, etc.

Old 05-19-2021, 09:25 PM

22 posts, read 24,737 times
OK, so the plot thickens...no surprise there. The daughter of the owners came to her last year hoping that she would be willing to help her take over (I assume as partners) so the parents could retire at some point. That is her current stake in it but she has nothing in writing. Because she doesn't have anything in writing I told her she has no stake or claim to anything in the future. Apparently, none of them have real experience running a business the correct way from what I gather. It's a mom-and-pop kind of business.

As far as the tips are concerned, she is positive. She said this year they have more than doubled in sales from last year and have never seen this much business ever, (according to the owner's daughter) and it's been consistent. She said last Saturday there was over $100 in tips in the pooled tip jar and she only walked away with $6, so did the other 3 girls. Additionally, she knows the other girls get paid under the table (while she gets a check and 1099), but she thinks the owners are paying them with tip money from the jar that might be left over. But I told her there's no way to prove that.

Thank you for the feedback. I have given user reputation points. I plan on printing the responses to share with her.

Old 05-20-2021, 03:12 PM

11,083 posts, read 6,661,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
State Department of Labor and the IRS. Both of them will investigate without saying who tipped them off.
Happened to me at a couple very high-end restaurants I (briefly!) worked at. Employers kept ALL the tips.

I reported them to Dept. of Labor and IRS. Nothing happened. They could care less. Another place didn't even PAY the servers (tips only) and neither agency cared about that either.

None of these agencies exist for the worker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment