Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2021, 12:47 PM

4,559 posts, read 5,410,524 times

Advertisements

Im in a bind here. I received a very very good offer to join company "A". Was so good in fact that I accepted the offer. However, my current company, company "B" (which is great) is preparing a counter offer after I informed them that I received an offer from another company. Would it be in poor taste to accept the counter offer after already agreeing to and accepting the first offer?

I had absolutely no plan to leverage one offer for another, but I really feel like I'm going back on my word if the counter offer is better and I decide to stay where I am.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2021, 01:12 PM

9,114 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Im in a bind here. I received a very very good offer to join company "A". Was so good in fact that I accepted the offer. However, my current company, company "B" (which is great) is preparing a counter offer after I informed them that I received an offer from another company. Would it be in poor taste to accept the counter offer after already agreeing to and accepting the first offer?

I had absolutely no plan to leverage one offer for another, but I really feel like I'm going back on my word if the counter offer is better and I decide to stay where I am.
Yes you are but people do it all the time.

Old 09-09-2021, 01:15 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,369,092 times
Quote:

Don't say with the current employer. You caught them off-guard by this, they will pay you more now, but will be looking to replace you. The reason is, that metrics has shown that once employees ask their employer to counter an offer, they end up leaving the company with a year or so anyway. The other ploy is to pay you more now, but then than reduce your salary increases in the future to make up for it.

There was a reason you went through the trouble to look for a job elsewhere, and you should consider those reasons.

Old 09-09-2021, 01:29 PM

9,382 posts, read 8,345,252 times
This *exact* scenario played out early in my career. I informed Company A that I received an offer from Company B, Company A came back and counteroffered above where Company B was at so I decided to stay. If I'm being honest it was probably mostly due to laziness and not wanting to start all over again at a new company and I did really like my manager and co-workers at the time.

Looking back it was a terrible decision. Company B was a much better opportunity for me in an industry that I enjoyed much more (asset management vs. healthcare). I'm in a good place now professionally but looking back I wish I would have jumped ship when I had the chance, I think I'd probably be at a much higher level comp wise as well as in title.

Was the only reason you were looking due to money? If that's the case, you can rest easy and stay with your current firm. If not, those other reasons likely aren't going away any time soon and now you'll have a bit of a "stench" on you with respect to this company.

But if you decide to stay, there is no reason to feel guilty. This is YOUR life and YOUR career and you shouldn't worry about hurting other's feelings. Yes, it may be a bit awkward of a call but you have to do what's best for you. Just know that you'll likely never again have a shot at moving to that company again, you will likely burn your bridges there.

Old 09-09-2021, 01:49 PM

6,589 posts, read 11,277,081 times
Quote:

As mentioned - this happens all the time. Some will even use the counter to counter with the new potential employer.

And - as Florida mentioned - is money the only reason? If you started looking for other reasons... those issues haven't changed. Is getting more money really going to make those issue go away or more livable?

Finally - to rummage's point - what impression have you made on your current employer? Have they gotten a bad taste because you only stayed for more money? Some people don't care (they understand it's not personal), but others will have lost some trust. And when that happens, they will start looking to replace you....

Bottom line - taking a counter-offer happens. This isn't a huge deal. But circumstances and impact around it can always differ as it's a case by case basis... and only you can determine what works best for you.

Old 09-09-2021, 03:00 PM

29,509 posts, read 22,620,513 times
Agree with others.

I think there's still this belief that in general, taking counteroffers is a bad decision for the reasons listed above.

However, based on my own experiences, this isn't necessarily true. I can think of several co-workers at my previous jobs that leveraged a job offer to stay (and it wasn't a ploy to get higher pay at their current job either).

I know of two guys that had job offers for better pay and title, but was somehow convinced to stay. This was seven years ago and as far as I know both are still there and were promoted to supervisors. Another guy had an offer for a more stable job position at a large company three years ago, but his current supervisor convinced him to stay. He got promoted to lead and is still there now.

So I would say the two biggest factors to consider when mulling a counter offer are:

1. Why were you looking for another job in the first place? If you're taking the counteroffer, make sure the very same issues that caused you to look in the first place will no longer be there. For example, if the only reason why you are looking is to get promoted or higher pay, then that's something that can be taken care of. If the reason you're looking is because you hate the culture or other issues not related to pay or level, then don't take the counteroffer.

2. Management of current job. As I said, these things often depend on your current management. I've read stories where management took it personal that anyone would be looking for a job in the first place. For example, one guy took a counter offer but he was played by his boss, and within months he was let go. And then you have management like the companies I have worked for. They never took offense that their workers would apply to other jobs, and their counter offers were genuine to ensure the person would be happy if he took the counteroffer.

So your choice definitely needs to take into account how you perceive your current management. Are there previous examples you can recall, where someone took a counter offer?

Old 09-09-2021, 03:10 PM

4,559 posts, read 5,410,524 times
Funny thing is, I was not looking for another job. This is a company I worked for almost 13 years ago and they pursued me. Where I am now is nice. Great management, company has 7,000 employees, work is relatively easy although there is a LOT of work. The other company - 30,000 employees. Great benefits, many employees have been there 20+ years, way more advanced in terms of systems and processes.

Old 09-09-2021, 09:12 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
So you have to go find another job to get your employer to pay your fair market rate? Why would you want to work there? It will just happen again.

Old 09-10-2021, 05:59 AM

762 posts, read 451,591 times
Quote:
Funny thing is, I was not looking for another job. This is a company I worked for almost 13 years ago and they pursued me. Where I am now is nice. Great management, company has 7,000 employees, work is relatively easy although there is a LOT of work. The other company - 30,000 employees. Great benefits, many employees have been there 20+ years, way more advanced in terms of systems and processes.
Personally I would present the counter offer and keep my fingers crossed.

Old 09-10-2021, 06:52 AM

9,382 posts, read 8,345,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyWest View Post
Personally I would present the counter offer and keep my fingers crossed.
Yes, you can certainly go down this road as well......tell the new company "Hey, just wanted to let you know my current employer counteroffered above and beyond what your offer was. I still very much want to come work with you, would you be willing to come up and match that?"

All they can say is "Sorry, no." and you'll be no worse off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment