Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2021, 09:28 AM

5,896 posts, read 3,895,279 times

Advertisements

My supervisor has gotten bombarded with resumes recently – most have been for positions we’ve posted, while some are unsolicited. With so many applicants and not enough positions to fill, how long does a company typically keep unsuccessful job candidate's applications on file, regardless of whether the candidate is successful in securing an interview or passed over altogether?

I've witnessed a few instances over the years when the employer reaches out to another candidate after the initial hire didn't work out, but that was always within a few weeks from the start date.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2021, 09:35 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,879,408 times
Probably zero. I've never been successful trying again with a company and I always had to initiate. Nobody ever reached out to me proactively.

Old 09-18-2021, 09:57 AM

29,509 posts, read 22,620,513 times
Interesting question, I searched and it appears that there are actually federal guidelines on resumes and applications submitted for a specific job listing:

How Long Should We Keep Resumes and Applications?

Quote:
Major federal laws that address employment records retention requirements include:

Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 – Requires employers to keep various employment records, including job applications, for one year from the date the application was received.

Age Discrimination in Employment Act – Requires employers to retain employment applications for one year. There is language, however, that indicates if you are aware the applicant is over age 40, you should retain it for as long as two years.

Americans with Disabilities Act – Requires employers to retain job applications and documents for one year. There is some variation based upon whether or not the applications are solicited or unsolicited, but the maximum retention is two years.

Executive Order 11246 – If you are a government contractor and have less than 150 employees or a contract of at least $150,000 you must retain these records for one year. If you have at least 150 employees or more and a contract of $150,000, you are required to keep the records for two years. If you have a resume on hand from a previous search and decide to consider it for a new position months down the road, you will need to keep that resume or application for the time required based on the last viewing of the document (i.e., 1-2 years past the fill date of the second position).
From a legal standpoint I can see the requirement.

Personally, no job I have worked at ever looked back at past rejected job applicants as possible candidates for future job openings.

Old 09-18-2021, 10:57 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
They are kept in compliance with state records retention laws. That said if you were not hired out of a particular process, we don't go back and dig through previous resumes. Every job posting has a job number, and you have to submit an application for the new job number. In the case you mentioned about someone quitting or being fired within a couple of weeks, HR would likely let us hire off the original list since the hiring process was not a success, allowing us to move to the next person.

Old 09-18-2021, 12:03 PM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Depending on the company's applicant tracking system for as long as it exists. It will just link your old and new applications.

Old 09-20-2021, 08:28 AM

5,896 posts, read 3,895,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Probably zero. I've never been successful trying again with a company and I always had to initiate. Nobody ever reached out to me proactively.
Me either. Seen it happen to others but never me personally.

Old 09-20-2021, 10:36 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,223,226 times
Who cares how long they keep unsuccessful job applications on fire.

"We got 500+ applications for this role, so let's put them ALL ON HOLD and look at this guy who applied 3 months ago unsuccessfully" said no employer ever.

Old 09-23-2021, 02:16 PM

3,285 posts, read 2,660,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
My supervisor has gotten bombarded with resumes recently – most have been for positions we’ve posted, while some are unsolicited. With so many applicants and not enough positions to fill, how long does a company typically keep unsuccessful job candidate's applications on file, regardless of whether the candidate is successful in securing an interview or passed over altogether?
You'd have to ask each individual company in question. There is no way to know any other way.

Old 09-27-2021, 11:54 PM

8,885 posts, read 5,365,025 times
An electrical company my son had tried to get a job at recently Emailed him to ask if he'd like to come in to be interviewed. It was 17 months since he'd tried to get a job with them.

The lady seemed a bit shocked and disappointed when he informed them he'd given up on Connecticut and moved to Texas to obtain a job. I guess he was supposed to hang around till they deigned to interview him. I thought wow, 17 months after the fact you've decided he's good enough to interview again.

Old 09-28-2021, 05:05 AM

601 posts, read 458,287 times
I applied for a buyer/purchasing agent position at a small utility. I had a phone interview but didn't really click with the hiring manager, so nothing happened. But then that guy soon left the company, and I got a call 2-3 months later asking if I wanted to interview for the manager role. (I had a college degree and a certification that managers often get). But I told them I didn't want to pursue a management position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment