Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2022, 04:29 AM

3,429 posts, read 1,570,072 times

Advertisements

I'm curious how many employers have experienced this phenomenon with new hires and the interview process?

Frankly this is something I've never seen before and seems to have gain prominence over the last few years.

One of the last places I worked at required a background check as there was a school with children on the property. In that case, it appeared as soon as the applicants realized you had to go through security clearance, you never heard from them again (clearly in this case, the applicants had some type of a record).

Admittedly it goes beyond that as I've recently had people go through training, tell me they were excited about the job, and then no show once training was complete and they were about to start up as a regular employee.

It seems to me that many people on lower end jobs don't seem to care if they burn a bridge when leaving their employment. I grew up in a time where this type of thing seldom if ever occurred, and people were professional enough to give a proper notice when leaving a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2022, 08:52 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,597 posts, read 81,279,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blameyourself View Post
I'm curious how many employers have experienced this phenomenon with new hires and the interview process?

Frankly this is something I've never seen before and seems to have gain prominence over the last few years.

One of the last places I worked at required a background check as there was a school with children on the property. In that case, it appeared as soon as the applicants realized you had to go through security clearance, you never heard from them again (clearly in this case, the applicants had some type of a record).

Admittedly it goes beyond that as I've recently had people go through training, tell me they were excited about the job, and then no show once training was complete and they were about to start up as a regular employee.

It seems to me that many people on lower end jobs don't seem to care if they burn a bridge when leaving their employment. I grew up in a time where this type of thing seldom if ever occurred, and people were professional enough to give a proper notice when leaving a job.
My employer of 2,100 has no really low pay jobs, even the mail messenger is in the $50k range. My administrative employees are $60-90k. I haven't had that experience and don't know of anyone else being ghosted. We have had people decline offers because they wanted more money, but I think people in the retail/fast food etc. are not as concerned about leaving a professional impression, because those jobs are so easy to get now. They can afford to be more picky, and try next door or down the street.

Old 09-08-2022, 10:33 AM

329 posts, read 237,694 times
seems like just yesterday it was the employers that were ghosting applicants.

Old 09-08-2022, 10:42 AM

740 posts, read 474,319 times
sometimes it's uncomfortable when the shoe goes on the other foot.

Old 09-08-2022, 11:58 AM

6,462 posts, read 7,804,532 times
I would venture an educated guess that these "jobs" are maybe temp jobs , no benefits, etc. So low value gigs rather than a job.

Old 09-08-2022, 12:37 PM

6,384 posts, read 5,018,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I think people in the retail/fast food etc. are not as concerned about leaving a professional impression, because those jobs are so easy to get now. They can afford to be more picky, and try next door or down the street.
This seems right. I recently left my software development consulting firm (which is not a "bad" job in the abstract at all, but it paid in the low $60k range which is terrible for that industry, and treated the employees --- mostly Indian visa workers --- like garbage). I noticed that, as soon as I got the much better job where I'm at now, I completely stopped caring about the older job --- stopped checking email, dragged my feet on completing the exit paperwork, still have to get around to returning my company laptop. I hope I never have to go back to one of those types of companies, but if I do, they're a dime a dozen.

Old 09-08-2022, 03:09 PM

377 posts, read 383,198 times
It's not just that they can find better jobs, they are so lazy that they can't be bothered to give notice that they've changed their mind or whatever.

When that happens to me, I don't let it go. I call their employer and let them know that they are looking for a new job and that they ghosted us so they need to be prepared to get ghosted soon as well.

I've gotten a couple of those fools laid off from their current employer once their employer found out they were job seeking and ghosting other companies.

Old 09-08-2022, 03:39 PM

23,329 posts, read 18,903,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by platon20 View Post
It's not just that they can find better jobs, they are so lazy that they can't be bothered to give notice that they've changed their mind or whatever.

When that happens to me, I don't let it go. I call their employer and let them know that they are looking for a new job and that they ghosted us so they need to be prepared to get ghosted soon as well.

I've gotten a couple of those fools laid off from their current employer once their employer found out they were job seeking and ghosting other companies.
How is this self-appointed campaign to tighten up job candidate courtesy described in your position description? As "other vindictive duties as assigned"?

Last edited by Parnassia; 09-08-2022 at 04:20 PM..

Old 09-08-2022, 04:14 PM

595 posts, read 266,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDrums View Post
seems like just yesterday it was the employers that were ghosting applicants.
A friend of mine is dealing with that. She applied for a job. They came on hot and heavy, couldn't wait to talk to her, were eager to learn more about her. They suggested a time for a call for preliminary information, they sent her an appointment request on Outlook, she accepted, the whole thing. Comes the day and time for the call and *crickets.*

She called them and got voicemail. Then she sent an email. They responded with some malarkey about getting dates mixed up. How do you mix up the dates when YOU were the one who suggested the call and sent an Outlook invite?

They reschedule.

SAME THING!

They rescheduled again. At this point I asked her "Is this an employer or someone from a dating app?" If she wasn't unemployed, I'd bet lunch on them flaking out again.

So I kind of don't have much sympathy for employers being ghosted. What goes around, comes around.

Old 09-08-2022, 04:16 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,971,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blameyourself View Post

We see this over and over. I'm a manager for a charity, we know there are people who need jobs, and we currently have 3 openings. I lost count of how many applications I've handed out, only to have none returned. We do make it clear that background and drug tests are conducted. Strangely enough though, even applicants who have turned in their applications don't bother showing up for the interview process. The pay is decent, the benefits are excellent, the job seekers are flaky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment