Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2022, 09:53 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,100,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post

I can smell the BS. Here is the simple answer "Why yes, I would love to attend an exit interview ... with my attorney." When the jaws drop, you then say "Or, you can provide me with the information on cobra and other items in a written form if you would prefer."

I've been in the hire/fire situation. I've had an employer do me dirty. When you, as an individual, are in a disagreement with a company with a hundred times or more your resources, you don't waltz in like a lamb to a slaughter to have an "interview."
I should have been a pre-school teacher...

I can't believe this is life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2022, 06:25 AM

9,457 posts, read 5,229,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Your exit interview has nothing to do with the retention or counter offer attempts. OP works in a niche if I recall. Leave and follow protocol. Do not burn bridges as you never know what will be your next step.
I had an exit interview when I left a supervisory position with a government contractor. I only lasted 9 months there (my shortest employment ever) due to abject mismanagement, employee misconduct, and the lack of any support from "HR." I laid it all out for them - gladly. I burned that bridge and then blew it up.
The HR manager was eventually fired and several managers above me in the hierarchy were demoted because they didn't hold the qualifications necessary to actually hold their positions.
No real joy there, frankly, but sometimes, you have to be the one to speak up. And that experience never held me back from any future employment, which I enjoyed with the Fed until I retired.

Old 10-22-2022, 06:33 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,390,454 times
Things must be pretty bad at your current job because I don't get why you are so resistant to staying put. You didn't explain it, Just ask for exactly what you want and stay there. Seems they want to give you anything just to keep you. Its a big compliment to be so well regarded. If I were you, I would stay and take pride in your status of being indispensable and highly appreciated.

If you are hoping the new job will give you a title you desire, then ask your current employer for a promotion or transfer to equal that.

Are you so sure it will be better on the other side of the fence?

Be cautious with this. I have a feeling you will regret it.

Old 10-22-2022, 08:01 AM

9,867 posts, read 7,740,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Things must be pretty bad at your current job because I don't get why you are so resistant to staying put. You didn't explain it, Just ask for exactly what you want and stay there. Seems they want to give you anything just to keep you. Its a big compliment to be so well regarded. If I were you, I would stay and take pride in your status of being indispensable and highly appreciated.

If you are hoping the new job will give you a title you desire, then ask your current employer for a promotion or transfer to equal that.

The poster has a better opportunity. It's not unusual for companies to beg good employees to stay. It happens all the time. Happened to me at every job I left. Happens to most people I know.

My daughter is a corporate superstar and has probably worked at 6-7 companies so far. She has a long list of business associates that will hire her the second she starts looking again.

Old 10-22-2022, 09:01 AM

1,248 posts, read 826,299 times
Quote:

I can smell the BS. Here is the simple answer "Why yes, I would love to attend an exit interview ... with my attorney." When the jaws drop, you then say "Or, you can provide me with the information on cobra and other items in a written form if you would prefer."

I've been in the hire/fire situation. I've had an employer do me dirty. When you, as an individual, are in a disagreement with a company with a hundred times or more your resources, you don't waltz in like a lamb to a slaughter to have an "interview."

OP isn't "in a disagreement" with her employer. She has already secured another position, has resigned voluntarily, and simply needs to leave on good terms. No need for paranoia...

Old 10-22-2022, 12:04 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,629,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post

If the organization really wanted to keep the OP as an employee, then they would have been offering raises, promotions, additional benefits, flexibility, etc. long before now. These are tactics often used because they know they can't replace someone but don't want to pay until it's absolutely necessary. For all you know the OP could be doing the work of 4 people who left over the last year. If the OP was highly appreciated, chances are very low they would have been looking for a new job.

Old 10-22-2022, 02:00 PM

6,590 posts, read 11,292,770 times
Wow. The responses here... It's just a meeting. Not an inquisition, pity party or a last ditch effort to reconcile.

It's part administrative to tie up loose ends from an administrative perspective. Covering some info like 401k, paycheck, vacation payouts, etc. And it gives you an opportunity to ask questions related to those topics. It's also partly for feedback - which you can just ask to skip or give them canned answers.

Sure - some may try to counter or ask if you are open to it. But a "no thank you" is usually sufficient to move on.

Honestly - just look at it like having to walk around the party to say goodbye to everyone. It can be a pain in the arse, but it's the proper thing to do. Do you HAVE to? No. But in the grand scheme of things.... not a big deal.

Old 10-22-2022, 02:04 PM

4,856 posts, read 3,282,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
... And that experience never held me back from any future employment, which I enjoyed with the Fed until I retired.
I was a 'do my job and go home' federal employee. No extracurricular activities, no functions. My organization had an 'exit interview' program, but I think too many people refused to particpate... and the ones that DID particpate said things management didn't want to hear. It's an HR check box.

Old 10-22-2022, 02:18 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,436,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffle View Post

OP isn't "in a disagreement" with her employer. She has already secured another position, has resigned voluntarily, and simply needs to leave on good terms. No need for paranoia...
OK, look at it from this point of view:

Whenever confronted with such a request, ask yourself 1. What is in it for me? 2. What could be the negative fallout? 3.Am I being used in some way? 4.Is my time being wasted? 5. Am I being paid fairly?

Any attempt to keep the employee has already occurred. Any negative comments by the employee could "bite them in the bottom" down the road. Any positive comments amount to either sucking up, or doing the work of evaluation of others for free.

Is there a bonus $ for sitting at that "interview?" (Read "brain picking")

The whole concept of exit interview and customer satisfaction survey has been taken to extremes.

Go to a fast food place and after your dirtburger you can fill out a survey for a free potato snack

Go on Amazon and you get requested to review your purchase

Go to a doctor now and there is an automated request for a review.

Here is a major clue. All the data mining is for profit. YOU are the product. Your opinion doesn't mean squat and will have minimal effect on the world. It WILL be used to slip you into a slot though.

I will cheerfully fill out surveys - small ones for $15, longer ones for $100. I will cheerfully drive to an exit interview and participate for an extra weeks wages, however, I will NOT sign a non-disclosure or any other paperwork.

People either work "at will" or under a contract. Demanding an exit interview from at-will employees is an affront.

Old 10-22-2022, 02:40 PM

1,248 posts, read 826,299 times
Quote:
OK, look at it from this point of view:

Whenever confronted with such a request, ask yourself 1. What is in it for me? 2. What could be the negative fallout? 3.Am I being used in some way? 4.Is my time being wasted? 5. Am I being paid fairly?

Any attempt to keep the employee has already occurred. Any negative comments by the employee could "bite them in the bottom" down the road. Any positive comments amount to either sucking up, or doing the work of evaluation of others for free.

Is there a bonus $ for sitting at that "interview?" (Read "brain picking")

The whole concept of exit interview and customer satisfaction survey has been taken to extremes.

Go to a fast food place and after your dirtburger you can fill out a survey for a free potato snack

Go on Amazon and you get requested to review your purchase

Go to a doctor now and there is an automated request for a review.

Here is a major clue. All the data mining is for profit. YOU are the product. Your opinion doesn't mean squat and will have minimal effect on the world. It WILL be used to slip you into a slot though.

I will cheerfully fill out surveys - small ones for $15, longer ones for $100. I will cheerfully drive to an exit interview and participate for an extra weeks wages, however, I will NOT sign a non-disclosure or any other paperwork.

People either work "at will" or under a contract. Demanding an exit interview from at-will employees is an affront.
Are you thinking this would happen after OP's employment has ended? I've never heard of that. Typically it would be at normal business hours during the notice period. To answer your questions:
1. It's an opportunity to act in a professional manner and avoid burning bridges with HR, in case of a future desire to return to the organization.
2. What negative fallout do you think is possible, as long as criticism is kept to a minimum?
3. All employment is "being used" in some way.
4. If on the clock while employed, it is the employer's time to waste.
5. Same pay she would get for her regular duties.

On the other hand, refusing to participate or demanding for an attorney to be present is needlessly confrontational and comes across as hostile or paranoid. What is the legal risk you are trying to mitigate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment