Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2023, 12:15 PM

224 posts, read 527,557 times

Advertisements

I see quite a few jobs popping up for major oil and gas projects in the middle east. My background is in engineering, and I like the idea of a 28/28 rotation. Any thoughts on who are the better EPC companies to work for these days? I see posts for Wood, KBR, McDermott, etc - any names you would recommend? Any names you should avoid? Does anyone have any experiences they'd liek to share - good or bad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2023, 10:08 AM

828 posts, read 771,926 times
You really can’t go wrong with working for the majors you mentioned, I’ve done ME assignments in the past, and currently work for one of the companies you mentioned. Working in the ME is a culture shock though, and it’s not for everybody…..omg the stories I could tell.

Old 02-07-2023, 01:14 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times
For large multi year contracts, the contact usually determines the favorable (or unfavorable circumstances) and not the company per se.

Because multiple companies are bidding for those jobs. Typically...

I have worked on only domestic contracts. It's typically better than piecemeal private work. So I would be inclined to do it.

Old 02-08-2023, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark01 View Post
You really can’t go wrong with working for the majors you mentioned, I’ve done ME assignments in the past, and currently work for one of the companies you mentioned. Working in the ME is a culture shock though, and it’s not for everybody…..omg the stories I could tell.
Oh please do go on!

Old 02-09-2023, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizkitgto View Post
Oh please do go on!
I’ll leave you with one major difference that many Americans struggle with if you go to one of the more strict countries. You need to act very small and deferential. When in the presence of those native to that country that you don’t know, you don’t speak unless spoken to and it is best to stick with yes or no answers. When you are in public, keep your eye lines low so you don’t accidentally look a local female in the eyes.

You really have to watch your behavior because laws are slanted against foreigners.

Old 02-10-2023, 03:54 AM

445 posts, read 281,087 times
Quote:
Working in the ME is a culture shock though, and it’s not for everybody…..omg the stories I could tell.
Let's hear them! Certainly there's got to be a forum here where those stories are welcome.

Old 02-10-2023, 08:02 AM

Quote:
I’ll leave you with one major difference that many Americans struggle with if you go to one of the more strict countries. You need to act very small and deferential. When in the presence of those native to that country that you don’t know, you don’t speak unless spoken to and it is best to stick with yes or no answers. When you are in public, keep your eye lines low so you don’t accidentally look a local female in the eyes.

You really have to watch your behavior because laws are slanted against foreigners.
Are you staying in a camp or in a city right now? The reason I ask is because I may be going on a rotation but would be staying in a camp. Just curious how you are enjoying it (co-workers, job, food, camp, etc)?

Old 02-10-2023, 10:28 AM

6,963 posts, read 2,696,549 times
I have a friend who worked for E-Systems back in the 1980s and was stationed in Saudi Arabia. He was able live rent free and bank his salary. When he returned to the states, he was able to pay cash for his first home.

Old 02-10-2023, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizkitgto View Post
Are you staying in a camp or in a city right now? The reason I ask is because I may be going on a rotation but would be staying in a camp. Just curious how you are enjoying it (co-workers, job, food, camp, etc)?
It’s been awhile since I worked there. I was in a camp (high walls, barbed wire, and what looked like teenagers with machine guns for “my protection”. If you commit to living in Kingdom for a longer period you sometimes could live in an Ex-pat co-ed community where you get a little bit more freedom within the community.

Food was ok in the camp….going out to a restaurant was an adventure.

Coworkers are just like anywhere else except that there is more diversity than you will see anywhere else. So you will meet people from places you didn’t know existed.

TV was odd, sat through 8 hour cricket matches where I thought Indians and Pakistanis were going to come to blows, watched a lot of Sumo Wrestling which I loved as a boy in Japan.

Saw some amazing things like a desert that went on forever, a camel kneeling down in the bed of a pickup truck, the Red Sea from a 3-400 foot tall platform in the plant.

Old 02-10-2023, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
I have a friend who worked for E-Systems back in the 1980s and was stationed in Saudi Arabia. He was able live rent free and bank his salary. When he returned to the states, he was able to pay cash for his first home.
And he earned every penny of that…..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment