Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2022, 06:38 AM

12,767 posts, read 14,959,782 times

Advertisements

Throughout the yrs, a few of my jobs have given a raise annually, but not all of them. One I've been at for 8 yrs still hasn't, but it's a good thing it's a side jobs & not my main job.

So do jobs still give ANNUAL raises for the most part? If not, about how often these days?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2022, 07:23 AM

984 posts, read 441,533 times
My husband gets a raise every 1-2 years. My job gives them out every year.

Eight years is crazy to go without a raise! You're making substantially less than you were when you were hired when you think about the cost of living alone.

Old 10-19-2022, 08:04 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I have been at this company for 13 years and we always gotten an annual performance based raise, from 0-5% every year. This coming year for the first time we get that, but in addition will get for the first time a cost of living raise of 6%. I have always gotten toward the high end of the performance based raise, so in 2023 I expect to get about 9%. My wife just retired but was in a union (school) job and raises depended on what was negotiated in the contract. She sometimes went as long a 4 years with no raise.

Old 10-19-2022, 08:17 AM

9,382 posts, read 8,345,252 times
I don't care if it's a McJob, you don't stay working at a company who provides zero raises over SEVEN FREAKING YEARS. Unless, of course, you're a terrible employee and just skating by doing less than the bare minimum (in which case they should be replacing you).

Old 10-19-2022, 08:39 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,427,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
I don't care if it's a McJob, you don't stay working at a company who provides zero raises over SEVEN FREAKING YEARS. Unless, of course, you're a terrible employee and just skating by doing less than the bare minimum (in which case they should be replacing you).
Ha this is golden.

Old 10-19-2022, 11:25 AM

9,848 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Throughout the yrs, a few of my jobs have given a raise annually, but not all of them. One I've been at for 8 yrs still hasn't, but it's a good thing it's a side jobs & not my main job.

So do jobs still give ANNUAL raises for the most part? If not, about how often these days?
Are you talking about jobs/paid by the hour or contract work?

I give my employees raises at least once a year, more lately because of inflation and keeping ahead of the other similar places they could work.

But I did have one lazy part time employee that I didn't fire, I just gave her less and less hours and never gave her a raise, hoping she would move on. Took a long time, but she's finally gone.

Old 10-19-2022, 11:34 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,200,286 times
I haven't gotten a performance based raise (per se) for many years. In a couple of instances my job title was changed to justify a higher pay. Mostly I've gotten more or less annual COL increases, generally not more than 2-3%. In many government jobs, raises (if given) are based on the budgets and whether or not the agency can "afford" increases.

Old 10-19-2022, 11:39 AM

12,767 posts, read 14,959,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post

Believe me, I don't like it either. I asked them about it & they said NO & it's not just me, but all the others in my position there. Again, good thing it's a side job, kind of on-call in a way. I work it about several days a month. (& I'm a good employee for sure!)

They still really should though.

Old 10-19-2022, 01:22 PM

23,252 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Almost all of my employers have been civilian public sector, so they follow many rules private sector employers don't. The majority of my jobs did not give annual raises. If/when your salary was increased depended on the internal step you'd achieved within your position's grade level...and that was often influenced by how long you'd held that position. The higher the step, the longer you usually had to wait for a salary increase. I was hired into and worked in the same step/grade for 15 years and never received a pay increase (other than small increments due to COLA). There were some in-step increases available for extraordinarily outstanding performance, and there were a couple of different financial bonuses for discreet achievements, but IME how an individual supervisor interprets "outstanding" varies a lot. It is discretionary. I worked for several who wouldn't acknowledge a great employee if they'd parted the Red Sea unless they got reflected glory out of it. Their attitude seemed to be that you, their humble servant, should thank your lucky stars you were selected out of one hundred job applicants with similar or equal qualifications in the first place.

Last edited by Parnassia; 10-19-2022 at 02:12 PM..

Old 10-19-2022, 01:24 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
COLAs and Raises
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment