Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2022, 05:20 PM

7,710 posts, read 3,319,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
It did end up coming in. Kind of a scramble for everything, but whatever. I’m glad it’s here.

Congrats Serious! Now you can put your notice in.

Look forward to career updates from you as time goes by...

Take care of your health; that's the killer when it comes to career progression. Your wealth is in your health. If they don't offer disability look into a company that will offer disability insurance to you as a county employee (or is it city)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2022, 10:45 PM

35,131 posts, read 31,418,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Congrats Serious! Now you can put your notice in.

Look forward to career updates from you as time goes by...

Take care of your health; that's the killer when it comes to career progression. Your wealth is in your health. If they don't offer disability look into a company that will offer disability insurance to you as a county employee (or is it city)?
They offer standard short-term disability and long-term disability through the county employees program. Sick leave and regular time off can also be used for this, if needed.

Old 01-01-2023, 11:57 PM

Quote:
They offer standard short-term disability and long-term disability through the county employees program. Sick leave and regular time off can also be used for this, if needed.
I didn't have it when I needed it and it cost me a F ton of money in LWOP. Get it before you need it. I have it now and it was expensive for a few years; it dropped now because I am closer to retirement I just carry short term. It gives you peace of mind if nothing else. It is almost better to insure your salary than to insure your life.

Old 01-04-2023, 10:18 AM

35,131 posts, read 31,418,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
I didn't have it when I needed it and it cost me a F ton of money in LWOP. Get it before you need it. I have it now and it was expensive for a few years; it dropped now because I am closer to retirement I just carry short term. It gives you peace of mind if nothing else. It is almost better to insure your salary than to insure your life.
There are a lot of perks about this job after the first year - one of them is that you have basically some kind of tenure to where you have legal rights before adverse action is taken against your employment.

They were extremely slow on the paperwork, so I'm starting week after next.

Word got out that I wasn't coming back. One of the guys I used to work with on the old team texted me last night and congratulated me. He mentioned how bad things have gotten this year, how he's lost sixty pounds since September due to the stress, how low his salary was (under $50k working as a developer for 50-60 hours a week), all sorts of things. We were friendly, but it's not like we're close friends - he must really be a mess to reach out to someone he doesn't know that well.

It sounds like the same merry-go-round that it was when I left. Nothing has changed. I'm glad to be moving on at this point - a little slower than I hoped, but whatever. I don't know if this will all work out, but I'll find out. If it does, it's potentially something that could set me up well into retirement.

Old 01-04-2023, 08:10 PM

Quote:
There are a lot of perks about this job after the first year - one of them is that you have basically some kind of tenure to where you have legal rights before adverse action is taken against your employment.

Word got out that I wasn't coming back. One of the guys I used to work with on the old team texted me last night and congratulated me. He mentioned how bad things have gotten this year, how he's lost sixty pounds since September due to the stress, how low his salary was (under $50k working as a developer for 50-60 hours a week), all sorts of things. We were friendly, but it's not like we're close friends - he must really be a mess to reach out to someone he doesn't know that well.

It sounds like the same merry-go-round that it was when I left. Nothing has changed. I'm glad to be moving on at this point - a little slower than I hoped, but whatever. I don't know if this will all work out, but I'll find out. If it does, it's potentially something that could set me up well into retirement.

Disability insurance has nothing to do with what you are referencing. They will hold your job; but, not necessarily pay you. Maybe that's not a concern for you. Hopefully they have a plan they tell you about.

Old 01-04-2023, 11:12 PM

23,896 posts, read 33,650,372 times
Quote:

You went from not having off on holidays at the hospital to having all of this time off lol

Sounds like it's a good thing you didn't go back to the hospital.

I hope the government job works out. People that quit government work regret it, especially at retirement time when they could have had a pension which not many places offer these days. Hopefully it will be tolerable so that you do hang in there.

Old 01-05-2023, 09:28 AM

491 posts, read 890,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
People that quit government work regret it, especially at retirement time when they could have had a pension which not many places offer these days. Hopefully it will be tolerable so that you do hang in there.
This is the reason I hang in where I am after going in or home everyday thinking I'm ready to quit. Sometimes it's insufferable, especially when you've come from private sector and you work with others who have been "lifers" and are used to the backwards, slow processes in public. You need to have extreme patience to work with incompetent and lazy people on a routine basis. Sure, you have some of that in private, but it's not near as rampant. I've never seen anything like this before. Lack of wanting to change or improve things is also frustrating, so also be prepared for "that's the way we've always done it" mentality.

Sounds like anything will be better than his situation, especially going back to the old job. Government can be such a trap with the golden handcuffs. His ability to work 100% improves the situation more. I'd quit complaining as much if I had that option.

Old 01-06-2023, 10:40 AM

2,123 posts, read 1,469,318 times
Congrats Serious Conversation! I don't always post in your threads as you have a lot of input but I believe you have made a great choice! Should be fun to read how things go for you. Enjoy your career.

Old 01-06-2023, 06:23 PM

6,885 posts, read 11,261,837 times
Smile Congratulations!

I think you have made the right decision.

Enjoy these years ahead of you; some of the best times are still ahead of you.

Keep us updated!

Old 01-15-2023, 11:05 PM

23,896 posts, read 33,650,372 times
Quote:

Wanted to wish you good luck in your new job.

Are they open today or closed for Martin Luther King?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment