Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2022, 08:45 AM

712 posts, read 555,868 times

Advertisements

I have a friend who is a male (I will call him Steve) and works at a factory. He is a short man who has all the skills of a tall man. Look it up, short men are passed over for promotions. (these are my words, not his) He hits a brick wall when he tries to apply for promotions. Steve was told by his supervisor that he should again apply for the promotion that they were looking to fill. So he did, and they hired a man outside the company instead of promoting him. This hasn't been just one time, but over and over. He did some investigating, and it appears he didn't get the promotion because of a former supervisor who doesn't like him I'll call this man Mr. Fred. This supervisor has cause so many people to up and quit. Steve has worked at this company over 5 years with stellar work ethics. Yet, Mr. Fred, keeps refusing to let him be promoted.

Mr. Fred even tried to block him from getting clearance to drive a tow motor. They asked. Mr Fred, should they give it to him, and the man said, NO WAY! Steve, stood his ground when they kept asking him to drive under someone else's clearance. They kept pushing, and he said, I will not drive under someone else's clearance. They end up giving it to him because he stood his ground.

The most recent kick in the teeth is the new hire is wanting him to train him to do this job. Should he just suck it up and say nothing and train him, or should he stick up for himself and go to HR?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2022, 08:48 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,995,252 times
He should find a new job somewhere else.

Old 09-08-2022, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenThumbb View Post
Clearly training someone to do your own job is a bad sign. Ask. Then ask again. Is there a reason I am training someone to do MY Job?
Well, technically he can do this job and has done it numerous times, he can do this job with his eyes closed, but it "isn't his job" He applied for this position and instead of giving him the job they hired someone outside the company.

Old 09-08-2022, 09:46 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,767,302 times
HR protects the company. I never ran to HR for anything because the minute I bring something up, I'm gone. I quietly look for another job.

Old 09-08-2022, 10:01 AM

6,591 posts, read 11,296,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitak1982 View Post
I have a friend who is a male (I will call him Steve) and works at a factory. He is a short man who has all the skills of a tall man. Look it up, short men are passed over for promotions. (these are my words, not his) He hits a brick wall when he tries to apply for promotions. Steve was told by his supervisor that he should again apply for the promotion that they were looking to fill. So he did, and they hired a man outside the company instead of promoting him. This hasn't been just one time, but over and over. He did some investigating, and it appears he didn't get the promotion because of a former supervisor who doesn't like him I'll call this man Mr. Fred. This supervisor has cause so many people to up and quit. Steve has worked at this company over 5 years with stellar work ethics. Yet, Mr. Fred, keeps refusing to let him be promoted.

Mr. Fred even tried to block him from getting clearance to drive a tow motor. They asked. Mr Fred, should they give it to him, and the man said, NO WAY! Steve, stood his ground when they kept asking him to drive under someone else's clearance. They kept pushing, and he said, I will not drive under someone else's clearance. They end up giving it to him because he stood his ground.

The most recent kick in the teeth is the new hire is wanting him to train him to do this job. Should he just suck it up and say nothing and train him, or should he stick up for himself and go to HR?
So a new employee is asking for help. You don't need to help...but what are you going to HR for? "Hey - the new guy is asking for help..." What's the issue?

As for the original question - you go to HR when it applies to the HR policy. e.g. you have a question about your benefits, your paycheck doesn't seem to be right, someone is treating you in a way that is against documented and can be objectively evidenced, etc. This would include being passed over for promotion and you can prove discrimination (assuming Steve falls under a protected class, gender, race, age, etc.)

What you have is more of a political situation. If Mr. Fred is in a position where his decisions are pretty much final and Steve is often not in agreement - Steve is better off looking for new employment.

Old 09-08-2022, 10:14 AM

12,109 posts, read 23,296,566 times
HR is not going to do anything about this. If asked, the boss will have a list of reasons why your friend wasn't promoted, and "he's short" won't be on the list. Who would typically train an external candidate for the position?

Old 09-08-2022, 10:17 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,991,770 times
HR is useless. Don't bother. Find another job

Old 09-08-2022, 10:21 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,674,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
He should find a new job somewhere else.
Employers are not loyal to their employees and that has become a two way street.

Read the writing on the wall and leave with your head held high.

Old 09-08-2022, 11:52 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,803,024 times
HR is the wrong place. That would be similar to going to the Accounting dept. THey have nothing to do with this situation.

I would be looking to leave this current company. If he is intent on staying I advise him to go to his supervisor.

Old 09-08-2022, 06:54 PM

A man from 3rd shift who is under Mr. Fred came to the new guy and told him if you want to know how to do this job they hired you for, you need to talk to Steve as that man knows his stuff. So the new man asked Steve not to hold it against him for being hired. Steve told him, of course not. So Steve trained the new man today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment