Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 11:27 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,443,393 times

Advertisements

I don't work for a company that I am trying to recruit people to work for. I am a single Mom, I need to work full time but with the fact that my daughter is home by 2:30 in the afternoon, the area I live in has a poor selection of jobs and the price of gas is through the roof, I want to work from home.

I have been working from home and just barely scraping by over the last year so I am in the process of looking for another position.

I am going to come back and post something here everytime I find a legitimate work from home job, not those stupid "send us your money then we will send you the secret" kind of jobs.

I have always heard that Jetblue (the airline) has reservation agents who are homeworkers. I have found this article that actually says that ALL of their reservation agents are homeworkers. I have not found a place to apply online so I am going to call the reservation line and ask someone, if I get a website, I will post it here. In the meantime, here is a link to an article about their homeworkers.

Jet Blue's Stay-At-Home Work Force, Airline's 800 Reservation Agents All Work From Home - CBS News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 11:37 AM

OK, so I just spoke with a person at Jetblue and was told that they only area in which they hire people to work from home is in the Salt Lake City Valley area. SO if you happen to live in that area, you should give them a call. I'm sure they pay reasonably well and you can be at home to see your kids off to school and be at home when they get back.

Since I am not in the Salt Lake area, this job won't work for me which is ashamed since years ago, I used to work in the family travel agency and was proficient in running the Americans Airlines Sabre computer which at that time was DOS, I can't imagine what it must be like now.

The next one I am going to try is 1-800 FLOWERS.
Employment Opportunties at 1-800-FLOWERS.COM

This one does have an area where they speak about customer service positions. I will send them my resume and my cover letter and see what they have to say. Funnily enough, I also worked for another family member who had a flower shop (although I hated it and the smell of the flowers almost made me sick after awhile). I have an interesting work history to say the least.

If you go to the link and then look at the title Position Title, you will see under that different titles in purple. The one I am looking at is "customer service associate". I am not aware of what other positions are work at home. Once you get to the section about the customer service associate, you will see an address and an email address you can forward your resume to.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:54 AM

213 posts, read 672,257 times
Hey, let me know what you come up with. I have a friend whom is trying to work from home as well, but cannot find a legitimate company that isn't trying to give her the run around. i know that if you were or are a teacher i think you can work from home.

Old 06-11-2008, 12:01 PM

The next one I am going to try is Alpine Access Customer Service.

Alpine Access Customer Call Center Business Outsourcing Services Solutions Agents (http://www.alpineaccess.com/external/index.html - broken link)

Click on careers and a drop down box will show you 'become an agent'.

I have been reading and it says they do a background check, a credit check and a drug check. It also says they pay 9-10 an hour with some programs having pay for performance plans. It also says they pay you for training but only 7-8 dollars an hour.

The website tells you the basic computer requirements and shifts they have available. For example, they do mention they don't have overnight shifts available.

Make sure you have a resume ready because it allows you to upload your resume in the same way you can upload pictures to your photoalbum on City Data.

Old 06-11-2008, 02:26 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,075,798 times
Thank you so much Lindsey!!

I retired a few months ago, thinking that it would be so good to finally not work after 42 yrs, but I am bored to tears. It's nice to know that there are legitimate options for people that want to work at home. Of course, that would cut down the time I spend at City-Data (Yikes!) .

Old 06-11-2008, 02:41 PM

13 posts, read 31,125 times
Wow, your awesome Lindsey!!! Thanks so much for posting these. I am a mother of three and have been searching for years for a legitimate work from home career. I currently work and it is so incredibly difficult to juggle my kid, husband and job. My hubby really wants me to quit and stay at home but I carry the insurance eeekk! Thanks again. How did 1800flowers turn out for you?

Old 06-11-2008, 05:44 PM

I will continue to do research and post what I find.

Old 06-11-2008, 06:31 PM

10,179 posts, read 11,167,649 times
You need to watch posting job's for companies. Not all allow them posted on Message boards. It's againt their policies. I have been on work boards and they got in big trouble from the companies. Just becareful..And read their policies...

I think Jetblue is regional....You have to see what states are listed..They don't hire from everywhere, or didn't awhile back.

Old 06-11-2008, 06:51 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,205,718 times
Kuddos to you ms. Lindsey! What a great gal to share her search and research with the rest of us gals. Way to go

Old 06-11-2008, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn2pieces View Post
You need to watch posting job's for companies. Not all allow them posted on Message boards. It's againt their policies. I have been on work boards and they got in big trouble from the companies. Just becareful..And read their policies...

I think Jetblue is regional....You have to see what states are listed..They don't hire from everywhere, or didn't awhile back.
As I mentioned in my post, Jetblue only hires people in the Salt Lake area. I posted it because from what I have heard, its an interesting company to work for. AND I am only posting links, not copying and pasting their copyrighted material.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment