Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 03:01 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,109,003 times

Advertisements

This person is currently out of work.

Has a spotty work history.

Wants to relocate out of state.

Does not want a "lower level" job--even though employment picture is grim everywhere.

Doesn't want to consider part time or sales for the short term.

Gets angry when one suggests the above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 03:11 PM

3,758 posts, read 8,462,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findingmesomeday View Post

Does not want a "lower level" job--even though employment picture is grim everywhere.

Good luck?

Old 06-27-2008, 03:28 PM

4,189 posts, read 3,490,610 times
Depends on the situation. If they have bills to pay they should take what they can get for now. If they don't then I guess they can afford to be picky. As far as them getting angry when you make your suggestions I would leave it alone-let them find out "what to do" on their own. You seem like you have a good head on your shoulders. You will get high blood pressure trying to rationalize with people like that.

Old 06-27-2008, 03:38 PM

99 posts, read 312,029 times
Apply for a job with the Union Pacific Railroad, they are hiring! Union Pacific Go to Career Home and pick a state, then review the jobs listed.

Old 06-27-2008, 04:24 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,158,664 times
I'd say is this person currently posting here because I think I've read their posts! lol

Sometimes you have a person's best interest at heart, but that person won't see it that way. There are also people out there with that type of background that really, truly have difficulty working with others--they may never be able to understand why, and all the help and advice you may whole heartedly give, it won't matter. You really can make yourself crazy trying to help. I agree completely with pushkinswife!

Old 06-27-2008, 04:33 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,925,163 times
Quote:

I wouldn't say anything to this person because it would be a waste of breath. I take that back. I would say "good luck and no, I cannot loan you any money".

Old 06-27-2008, 04:34 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,720,268 times
Default school??

Quote:

If you have to live with him/her, sorry for you. Maybe this person can go back to school...isn't that what people do with this kind of attitude & under these circumstances?

Old 06-27-2008, 04:37 PM

8,725 posts, read 7,462,300 times
No problem with being out of work, thats why the person is looking for a job.

What does "spotty" mean?

So? I want to also, nothing worng with that, lots of people like a change of location.

If the person is depserate enough, they will take any job.

Same as above.

Obviously knows this and is tired of hearing it from people.

Don't loan this person any money.

Old 06-27-2008, 06:19 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,109,003 times
Yup---about what I thought. Seems as though we're all on the same page. What gets me though is the sense of entitlement about it---as in "why is this happening to me; I don't deserve this" and subsequent passing up of opportunities (temporary, contract, or longer term) thought "beneath" this person.

I'm a "make lemonade out of lemons" kind of person so it's really hard for me to understand this.

Oh, and "spotty" means a LOT of jobs over the years; some layoffs, some firings. And a long time to get back on track each time and of course it's always "someone else's fault".

Last edited by findingmesomeday; 06-27-2008 at 07:21 PM..

Old 06-27-2008, 06:38 PM

9,238 posts, read 23,003,200 times
Agree with Molly. I'd tell them "Stop posting on message boards and find a way to make yourself useful."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment