Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 10:12 PM

23 posts, read 74,247 times

Advertisements

or any age for that matter, given the economy the way it is, what would you major in and why?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 10:33 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,372,112 times
Energy/alternative energy. Everyone needs energy, and as you see the price is high so people that work in those industries have a generally steady job and good pay. Alternative energy, since that will eventually make major breakthroughs.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:39 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,114,142 times
I would get an EDUCATION in whatever interested me. BUT, given the way they are shipping jobs overseas, I would TRAIN in a job that could not be outsourced. Maybe a plumber, electrician.....I don't know much about these jobs but I do know they make a decent living and they can't send your plumbing to India to be fixed or your wiring to China for installation.

Old 07-03-2008, 02:06 AM

348 posts, read 1,223,163 times
BS in Nursing or BS in bio-chemistry

You will be in demand since there are many facets of the medical industry in which you can utilize your degree.

I am in medical sales and truly envy some of my colleagues who have a BSN because their clinical expertise is more attractive to employers.

Pair this knowledge with someone who knows how to communicate and present and build relationships, your a winner.

I have a strong science background but when my background is compared to the clinical training many nursing students receive, I have to work twice as hard to ensure the hiring manager knows I am competent in front of physicians, staff and patients.

The stigma of "Nurses clean bedpans" is misleading and many are underinformed of the versatility of what a BSN can offer..........I was under that impression less than 10yrs ago when I was in college choosing my 4yr degree.

My 2 cents.

Old 07-03-2008, 02:34 AM

802 posts, read 2,265,697 times
I think that if I were ever to go back to school, I would most likely go to culinary school. Chances are pretty unlikely though...

Old 07-03-2008, 05:12 AM

303 posts, read 846,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f_m View Post
Energy/alternative energy. Everyone needs energy, and as you see the price is high so people that work in those industries have a generally steady job and good pay. Alternative energy, since that will eventually make major breakthroughs.
Same here. I would go back to college if I had money.

Old 07-03-2008, 06:52 AM

451 posts, read 1,228,476 times
I have a chance to go back with my vets benifits. I was thinking about going back to get a degree in Electrical Engineering. I have this fasination with motors, generators and how energy is created. I like my IT job, so I'ma stick it out, but that would be my other career choice if not for IT.

Old 07-03-2008, 08:49 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,907,427 times
If I could go back and choose to study any field, I'd do exactly what I did this time around. I love what I do, and my field is always growing. Sure the economy may vary from year to year, but Human Services is a field that is always needed, and is always evolving.

You won't get rich, but you will have meaningful work, a steady job, and lots of options for other jobs.

As a Clinical Social Worker, I have never made buckets of money, but I've always been able to afford to live nicely (in my own apt for years, now own my house), stay out of credit card debt, go out for nice meals, and take vacations. Plus I went home nearly every night knowing I made a difference in at least one person's life.

The options with a psych or social work degree are numerous. Some areas accept a Bachelor's degree, otehr require a Master's.
Behavioral health usually includes mental health and substance abuse services. You could work with folks with very serious conditions, or people as "healthy" as your next door neighbor. There are tons of programs for people with Developmental Disabilities, helping them get competitive employment and live more independently, teach them about life skills, social skills, sex education, etc. There are Geriatric programs for older epople with a variety of challenges. There's a whole world of services for children, and those fields always need new energetic professionals. There are plenty of services to support people with physical, sensory, and cognitive disabilities....
the opportunites are myriad.

Oh well, that was my commercial but it's all true.

Old 07-03-2008, 09:45 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,730,417 times
Anything that didn't require math.

Old 07-03-2008, 11:36 AM

376 posts, read 1,809,963 times
I went back to school and got another bachelors degree in exec. managment when I was 48. Haven't regretted a minute of it (Altho it was pretty funny when my AARP renewal notice came the same day as my new student loan payment book). I really want to go get my Masters now, but on hold until I see which way the economy tumbles. If I were a youngster just starting out, probably would go into some sort of environmental vein -- just a personal interest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment