Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2008, 12:44 PM

306 posts, read 900,569 times

Advertisements

I will be completing school with a BSW next spring. If anyone is comfortable with this, would you mind telling me how much you make and where you are?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 02:12 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,890,741 times
I have my Master's in SW, so I'm not sure what amount you can expect to earn with the BSW. It also depends on the field of SW you will be going into, the state you live in, etc. I'm assuming you already know that you chose a field that people work in because they love what they do and not because they expect to get rich

My company and similar behavioral health agencies in NJ and PA would have entry level bachelor's positions paying somewhere between the high 20's to maybe 30,000. This is behavioral health, which pays more than some human services fields, and less than others.

Also, the cost of living is high in NJ & PA, and other areas in the US. In the mid-west or south, the salaries will likely be lower.

My advice is go for bachelor's position that really interests you, get acquainted with the field and type of work you like to do, then get your MSW. Many human service agencies have tuition reimbursement, and you can even go to school part time while still working full time.

After two years in mental health with my BA, I was convinced this is what I love. I know a bunch of people who went straight from the bachelor's to grad school, and they had no clue what populations and areas they really wanted to work with.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:40 PM

306 posts, read 900,569 times
I am definitly going to go on and get an MSW. And yes, I am in this because I love the field. I know I'll never make a lot of money but that's not what matters to me.

It sounds like good advice to work for a couple of years first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment