Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2008, 03:21 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,441,838 times

Advertisements

I work for a major international hotel chain in Nashville. We're incredibly fortunate to have a very close staff. A great many of us are friends outside of work. I'm in management, but spend time outside of work with members of the Executive commitee as well as hourly associates. During times of stress here, the fact that everyone is as close as they are have kept me from going elsewhere. I work 2 hours away from home and if I were to take a job in Chattanooga (was offered one) I'd have a 30 minutes each way shorter commute.

Anyway, our Front Office Manager just transferred to the Executive Housekeeper position. They've been interviewing to replace his FOM position for a while now and we just found out that they offered someone the job and he's accepted it.

Well, several of the girls at the front desk and I have plans to go out Tuesday night. All of us have the night off, so it's no biggie. But now we found out the new FOM has told them that they are not allowed to socialize anymore 'outside their rank'.

Excuse me?? Are you now my daddy? I happen to love the fact that people don't see each other in that light here. And honestly, I don't see how he can make policy telling you who you can and can't be friends with when your off the clock.

Anyone have any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2008, 03:53 PM

673 posts, read 2,718,223 times
You should first contact HR to get clarification. If an anti-fraternization policy has been implemented, you haven't agreed to it in writing. It may also violate individual rights. You could contact your local workforce commission or ACLU once you have the policy in writing.

Old 09-20-2008, 06:51 PM

516 posts, read 1,889,199 times
You could go to HR. If it's not an official policy, you could ignore it, and suffer whatever treatment you're given in return. If the policy has been changed and you didn't agree to it, you'll be asked to agree or leave. If you go over his head, you'll still have to work for him. And if you go to the ACLU or some other organization, you'll still have to work for him.

Start looking for another job. Whatever the outcome of this, unless the new guy is fired very quickly, he's going to make your life hell. Yes, it sucks. The question is, where would you rather spend your energy?

Old 09-20-2008, 09:16 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,841,013 times
They cant tell you what to do after hours. period. you dont have to go to HR, or check with ACLU, or any other alphabet. Unless they are paying you, and its contradictory to your employment. then no, they cannot tell you who and what you can and cannot do Slavery was abolished quite a few years ago, Also the adage of Seperate but equal. Try presenting that to any labor board in any state.

Old 09-21-2008, 09:13 AM

179 posts, read 557,217 times
Is that new manager ex military and try to implement the whole sep. officer's/ enlisted?

That's BS they do not have the right to rule what YOU do after working hrs unless it would be something that harms work (eg. drugs) but that's not the case with you. I'd take it to HR/ next higher boss.

Old 09-21-2008, 09:52 AM

2,541 posts, read 11,339,799 times
well I can understand not dating co-workers but he cannot stop you from just being friends

Old 09-21-2008, 10:33 AM

746 posts, read 2,177,433 times
I don't see how this is legal either. I would definitely ask HR about this. And also CYOA and look for alternate employment meanwhile.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:23 PM

266 posts, read 1,108,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony23 View Post
You could go to HR. If it's not an official policy, you could ignore it, and suffer whatever treatment you're given in return. If the policy has been changed and you didn't agree to it, you'll be asked to agree or leave. If you go over his head, you'll still have to work for him. And if you go to the ACLU or some other organization, you'll still have to work for him.

Start looking for another job. Whatever the outcome of this, unless the new guy is fired very quickly, he's going to make your life hell. Yes, it sucks. The question is, where would you rather spend your energy?
What?? Why should the OP start looking for another job?? This new guy is the one who barged in and starting making demands. In my opinion, he is the one who has to prove himself and try to fit in - or he should leave.

My suggestion is for the OP to go talk to this guy and kindly let him know that he's making an *ss of himself. Not in those words of course. More like, one manager to another, hey just so you know, this is what's been going on before you got here and you're not making friend by creating these rules.

Let him choose to be a nice person or not. If he tries to be some sort of micro managing idiot that thinks he can dictate what people do in their own time, he is not going to last long at that hotel.

I worked in hotels for many years and would never discourage camraderie. That's the only thing that keeps you going in such a crazy, busy, demanding environment.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:20 PM

81 posts, read 341,922 times
I know youre mad, but I would kill the guy with kindness and approach him to ask him to clarify this new "rule". You never know...maybe he was testing you to see what and how you would react?

If he comes up with some funky answer, then I would ask HR on the under, if this is a written policy, an unspoken rule, there's a moral clause somewhere in your employment contract, etc. If they say none of the above then yall should just smile in his face and do what you want when youre off the clock and just never tell him about it (or anyone else that would slip up and mention it to him).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment