Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 06:50 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,941,887 times

Advertisements

The Top 5 Hardest Jobs to Fill in America (http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/career-articles-the_top_5_hardest_jobs_to_fill_in_america-1057 - broken link)

Quote:
Looking for a career with a high level of demand? A recent survey found that some jobs feature more openings than trained workers. Training for one of these top jobs can help ensure your degree training will be highly valued when it comes time to look for work.

Career Training for Careers In Demand

The survey, conducted by employment agency Manpower, Inc., found a range of careers in high demand across the country. "From our research it is clear that across the country employers are experiencing a mismatch between the talent their businesses need and the skills and abilities potential employees possess," said Jonas Prising, president of Manpower North America.

snip
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 06:56 PM

11,305 posts, read 18,899,294 times
While I think these jobs (except for IT but I'll qualify that in a minute) have a better ratio of job seekers to openings than the market at large, I don't think they're going begging. I know that some specialized engineering jobs do "go begging" (CNN profiled this awhile ago), but I'm sure if this were the case for accountants and IT staff, right now everyone would be running over each other to go back to school for that like they are for health care and to a lesser degree teaching.

With IT, saying "IT staff" is way too general. There are positions like in security or video game design where there are more openings that qualified applicants, but then there are positions like help desk people that have been heavily shipped overseas or others like low-level web design and database positions that are basically done by administrative assitants now.

The job market for accountants is good compared to many professions but I really don't think just having a pulse so to speak will get you a job.

Last edited by 7 Wishes; 12-14-2009 at 08:21 PM..

Old 12-14-2009, 07:06 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,748,398 times
I'm a Mechanical Engineer for the 6th best college in the nation and I've been unemployed for 69 weeks now! I try to get work as a Mechanical Engineer, CAD Designer, or Technical Writer but nothing yet!

And some companies are now getting cheap on our salaries too! I talked to BECO and they said a lot of unemployed engineers are competing for the same job!

Old 12-14-2009, 09:18 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,769,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
I'm a Mechanical Engineer for the 6th best college in the nation and I've been unemployed for 69 weeks now! I try to get work as a Mechanical Engineer, CAD Designer, or Technical Writer but nothing yet!

And some companies are now getting cheap on our salaries too! I talked to BECO and they said a lot of unemployed engineers are competing for the same job!
In case someone is reading this and wondering about the accuracy of the article which says the opposite, just ask us why Jesse69's phone isn't ringing off the hook.

Old 12-15-2009, 03:49 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,077,860 times
I've seen similar articles where you can insert "teachers" and those of us on here (and there are a few of us) know there is 'not an abundance of teaching jobs.'

Seems like the same stupid (no offense to the OP) information has been making the rounds for years...just changing the professions.

Time again for 'how to write the perfect resume' articles and 'is your body language making you lose the job?' articles to do their rounds again..

Old 12-15-2009, 04:14 AM

2,511 posts, read 6,301,562 times
I say they didn't do their homework.

If it was so difficult to fill IT positions, IBM, HP and others wouldn't have reduced pay and fired so many of their employees.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:33 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,210,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
I say they didn't do their homework.

If it was so difficult to fill IT positions, IBM, HP and others wouldn't have reduced pay and fired so many of their employees.
lol...not really true.

This is like asking why the Pittsburgh Pirates haven't had a season over 500 in 10 years when there are thousands of people who would love to play baseball.

The key phrase is qualified applicants.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:36 AM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,769,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I've seen similar articles where you can insert "teachers" and those of us on here (and there are a few of us) know there is 'not an abundance of teaching jobs.'

Seems like the same stupid (no offense to the OP) information has been making the rounds for years...just changing the professions.

Time again for 'how to write the perfect resume' articles and 'is your body language making you lose the job?' articles to do their rounds again..
No kidding! I think they have a top 10 and then rotate the top 5 around to create "news".

Old 12-15-2009, 11:23 AM

331 posts, read 956,873 times
I'm a civil engineer-in-training in AZ (BS from top 25 university). The greater Phoenix area market is flooded with unemployed engineers as civil has cut more than 30% of its jobs in the field. I have been unemployed for over 13 months now. Employers can hire experienced PE's as engineering techs... yeah, so much for hard to fill. I understand job prospects might be a little better in other states, but we all know how well fields that are tied to construction and development are doing. Now, if they are looking for the perfect engineer with 15 years of highly specialized experience and a gazillion other requirements, of course the job will be hard to fill.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:29 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,911,216 times
Quote:

Just an FYI, I've never heard of anyone getting a job through BECO group. All of the jobs they claim to have they just find on internet job boards that you can get yourself.

Best of luck to you though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment