Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 11:26 PM

952 posts, read 3,705,398 times

Advertisements

So I need more money.My husband has a good job but right now he is on the lower half of the ladder making only 14 dollars an hour. But it is a career job so he will eventually make lots lots more then that. I only make a whopping $9.00 an hour. We have tons of bills and CREDIT CARDS. We live from paycheck to paycheck and I am so sick of it. I want to get rid of our debt and live an good life before I turn too old. So I have decided to apply for package handler position at Fed Ex Express in Memphis. ( I live there ). Several people I work with work there part time and they like it. I am a female of average size and in dissent shape. I know it is hard work and stressful but I think I can handle that. My only problem would be the hours. It would be night time between 3-4 hours a night, Monday - Friday.
I am not worried about the physical part because I like to stay active. If I could loose a few pounds while working, thats just a plus. They pay 11.21 an hours so after taxes and such I would bring in around 180 a week.
That would help us tremendously financially.
So what do you guys think. Is it crazy?
I am going to a hiring session tomorrow at the fed ex hub.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 11:33 PM

19 posts, read 51,565 times
I was in a similar situation. I moved to a new city and wanted to get my stuff together asap. I had a 8-5 job and then I went off to FedEx from 6-10. My current roommate was working there (doing a different shift, doing different work) and she said it was easy.

Well, I didn't last my first night. They expected to load 800 boxes an hour and the working conditions were very hot and the management was mean. Not worth 9 an hour, keep in mind minimum wage here is 8.40, so I was better off working a counter at a 7-11 or something.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofmightof View Post
I was in a similar situation. I moved to a new city and wanted to get my stuff together asap. I had a 8-5 job and then I went off to FedEx from 6-10. My current roommate was working there (doing a different shift, doing different work) and she said it was easy.

Well, I didn't last my first night. They expected to load 800 boxes an hour and the working conditions were very hot and the management was mean. Not worth 9 an hour, keep in mind minimum wage here is 8.40, so I was better off working a counter at a 7-11 or something.

Well, one girl I work with, she is 5'7 140 and she is 44 years old. She just started a month ago and she likes it. It is hard work but she said that if she could do it I can. that felt reassuring.
It does depend on what exactly it is you are doing and who is your manager. I hear good and bad stories so i will have to find out for myself.
How were you only making 9 an hour. Were you working for fed ex express or ground?

Old 12-02-2008, 12:32 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,721,752 times
I am a 5' 4" 125 lb. woman who did 15 years with UPS. Fedex doesn't move anything close to the massive package volume that UPS does. I started with them in my 30's and left at 50. I was in the front lines the whole time, never management.

If I can do it, you can do it. I liked the job for many years, but after more than a decade I was really just plain sick of hustling boxes. The bloom went off the rose.

Go for it. There are plenty of women in the business. Beats spending your day in a grey cubicle.

Old 12-02-2008, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
I am a 5' 4" 125 lb. woman who did 15 years with UPS. Fedex doesn't move anything close to the massive package volume that UPS does. I started with them in my 30's and left at 50. I was in the front lines the whole time, never management.

If I can do it, you can do it. I liked the job for many years, but after more than a decade I was really just plain sick of hustling boxes. The bloom went off the rose.

Go for it. There are plenty of women in the business. Beats spending your day in a grey cubicle.
Well, this would be my second job and it would be from 12 am to 3 am. But thanks for the encouragement. I appreciate it. I will go for ti!

Old 12-02-2008, 04:55 AM

81 posts, read 341,813 times
If they wouldve been closer to where I live (the center was 40 minutes away and gas at the time was over 4.00/gallon when they wanted to interview me) I wouldve done it and Im a woman too....

Old 12-02-2008, 05:00 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,518,253 times
I've had physical jobs in the past amd didn't mind it. I never had to work out(definite plus) and I've also done the 2 job thing so did DH.. we just ended up paying our house off in under 10 years and though we missed each other a lot due to hours.. it's worth it in the long run for that peace of mind of being debt free. Oh and you will never sleep better than when you are working 2 jobs!! Good luck in your decision.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:00 AM

51,691 posts, read 15,689,611 times
If your back can handle it I say Go For It.............Good Luck.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:30 AM

Thanks all of you.
The girls I work with that do this she said that a 32 year old male quit his first day because it was to hard on him while female alot older then him could handle it so that just proves that sex doesn't matter in physical kind of labour. I am more exited then ever now and really hope I get the job.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamama6685 View Post
I've had physical jobs in the past amd didn't mind it. I never had to work out(definite plus) and I've also done the 2 job thing so did DH.. we just ended up paying our house off in under 10 years and though we missed each other a lot due to hours.. it's worth it in the long run for that peace of mind of being debt free. Oh and you will never sleep better than when you are working 2 jobs!! Good luck in your decision.
WOW 10 years. See, Like I said, I live from paycheck to paycheck. An extra 800 a month and I will be able to double up on my credit card payments and car payments and always have lots of food in the house. I will even be able to save some money. And still have left 150 -200 a week. That's my motivation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment