Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2009, 08:39 AM

973 posts, read 3,311,392 times

Advertisements

Can you help me find some accurate information, please?

With the economy in it's current state and unemployment on the rise, I am thinking of returning to school to train for a new career since my previous field is such a small one.

Anyhow, I have been researching Dental Hygiene and Nursing because Healthcare fields are supposed to be more plentiful and have reasonably good salaries. I've always been interested in Healthcare but like many people, salary IS important.

I am leaning more towards Dental Hygiene because an Associates or Certification can be done in 2 years and frankly, I'm not getting any younger.

The information I have found so far is conflicting. The Bureau of Labor Statistics says DH is a growing field and jobs are plentiful and will continue to be plentiful. On the other hand, a few Dental forums I have looked at paint a much more dreary picture. "They" say that their is fierce competition for few jobs, the salary isn't all that great, no retirement benefits, etc.....Some say an associates is all you need for a well-paying job (50K+) and other swear that you'll never get anywhere without a Bachelors degree.

I know that there are naysayers and chronic complainers in every field but it sure does make it hard for a person who is looking at a new career to make an informed decision. Nobody wants to train for a new career only to find that they can't find a decent job.

Does anyone have any first-hand information regarding a career in DH? Would I be better off with Nursing? At least I know there are plenty of jobs there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 03:31 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,859,046 times
First of all, what kind of education do you have now? Where are you located? and what prospects do you have for looking for a job. look for dentists in your area that need DH. The ones I know in this area don't make that kinda cheese.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment