Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 04:53 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,584,379 times

Advertisements

As the recession continues, layoffs batter industry after industry, from banking to auto manufacturing to construction to retail.

But for at least one occupation, demand is still high -- so high that job candidates have been plied with incentives that range from gas cards to $20,000-signing bonuses to an opportunity to meet a celebrity.

ABC News: Nursing: Hot Job, High Pay -- So Where Are the Takers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 05:24 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,784,743 times
Back when I wanted to be a nurse, I also read that some nursing schools are turning applicants away or putting them on waiting lists because there simply aren't enough nurse educators/professors of nursing.

I love helping people and the human body fascinates me but nursing just isn't for me.
I think I might have convinced a cousin of mine to become a nurse rather than wracking up a bunch of debt to become a doctor. We're both in the same spot in college (second semester) so...we have a bit of time to decide.

I hope a lot of people decide to enter the nursing field. It will ease the burden on some nurses who are in the field already, hopefully increase the quality of care, etc.

I wish I had the passion because that money certainly looks good. I don't want to go to college for a job/career that I won't enjoy.

Old 01-15-2009, 03:56 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,789,472 times
In a word... bedpans.

Nursing isn't fun. People would rather do other things for the same money.

Case in point. As a kid I thought I wanted to be a doctor. Until I saw films of open heart surgery.

Somehow the nice diagram of "The Circulatory System" on transparencies in the middle of the book wasn't as nasty as the real thing.

It's one thing to say, "I want to help people", quite another to do it in a setting of ill and injured people, day in, day out.

Old 01-15-2009, 04:01 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,069,117 times
Maybe people realize they don't have the intelligence or aptitude to do it.

Heck, I would love to have the money some people make at high salaried jobs but I know my limitations. I know there are certain things, despite the lure of money and 'guaranteed work', I simply would not be able to handle.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:03 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,650,355 times
A post in Phoenix AZ by 2 nurses says Phoenix hospitals are laying off nurses and not hiring new ones. They typically work the ones they have to near death when there are shortages, layoffs,etc. so that group leaves, they rehire more and then they start the cycle over again.
I can remember in the 80's when hospitals started having more regs (DRG's) and patients had to go in and out faster, they started decreasing nurses/per patients. And, they wonder why there are shortages?? The stress level on today's hospital nurses is even worse than years back.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:16 AM

7,573 posts, read 10,618,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadison View Post
In a word... bedpans.

Nursing isn't fun. People would rather do other things for the same money.
Well, as a nurse of 17 years now, I have to disagree with you. I love my job...oh, and I never once had to change a bedpan.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:54 AM

359 posts, read 1,197,496 times
You have got to be DEDICATED to your nursing job. Which means lots of long hours, and caring for the sick and ill! Don't get into the profession because of a recession, or you will not survive in the field.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:58 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,363,482 times
I worked as a nurse (LPN) for over 10 years and had all the advance science to continue my RN and I burnt out. Yes, there are nursing jobs, but as one poster stated you have to really like it. It can be very stressful. Also, remember, that many of the jobs are shift work, patients don't go home at 5pm or leave on weekends. If you specilize (spell more schooling) you can get out of the shift work sometimes but if you move you generally start near the bottom again.

And yup, it can get nasty, the patient, docs and hospital admin.. and lots of politics going on at all times.

If I had the money I'd go for something like Physical Therapy...no emergencies, nights or weekends. Or some of the advanced Rad stuff.

There are other areas of medicine that might be more suitable for many other than the Nurse/Doctor route.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:58 PM

174 posts, read 596,722 times
Back in the early to mid 90s, I knew some friends of mine that were leaving the nursing profession because of the very long hours that they had to put in and because of the total lack of respect and downright verbal abuse thay they had to put up with from numerous Doctors. This is something that I would hear a lot. Many Doctors just don't have any respect for nurses. This is a big reason why many leave the profession. A year ago, I had to spend a lot of time at a hospital in Chicago while my father was dying of cancer. One of the things that I noticed about the nursing staff there was the numbr of foreign nationals that were working there. They were from the Philipines and South Korea. I thought it was interesting that this hospital had to rely on so many of these nurses when there is this so called nursing shortage. Just some food for thought.

Old 01-17-2009, 08:46 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,673,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannie216 View Post
Well, as a nurse of 17 years now, I have to disagree with you. I love my job...oh, and I never once had to change a bedpan.
? just have to ask how this has been possible
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment